64GB card - viewing files?

sludgeguts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius x3, G1W held as spare.
Having heard a rumour that the G1W can cope with a 64gig card, I decided to give it a go since 32gig simply wasn't enough for me - I was losing about 90 minutes off a day's footage. Bit rough when one of the files I wanted was in the bit that was written over!

So, having recorded a load of footage, I now find it hard to view the files on my PC. Quick time, VLC and Windows Media don't want to know.
Cyberlink PD11, on the other hand, is happy to load and play the files.

Any ideas?

No, plug the card into an adapter & view the files.
It's worked fine so far with the original 32gig card. Those files opened without problem using VLC.
Tried the same trick with the 64gig but nothing is opening the files!

Formatted the card using smartdisk card formatter last night.
This morning, the cam was playing up - "insert memory card" (it was in).
Formatted the card in the camera & it kept freezing.
Pressed reset a few times, got it recording for a few seconds then it stopped.

Glad I kept my original 32GB card on me - that's working perfectly.

Ok this is what I tried. Reading another post on this forum, I inserted my 64GB Kingston Class 10 into the G1W, and format it. Yes, using G1W. It formatted to exFAT 64GB, as verified by my windows 8 tablet. Now I tried a short recording (spanning 2 files) and it seemed ok (played back well on my tablet). Will monitor further to see if it can fill up the whole card correctly (probably 7+ hours of recording). Will update later.

I've just ordered a 64GB Kingston class 10, hoping to use in my Mobius but will give it a test run in my G1W. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ok this is what I tried. Reading another post on this forum, I inserted my 64GB Kingston Class 10 into the G1W, and format it. Yes, using G1W. It formatted to exFAT 64GB, as verified by my windows 8 tablet. Now I tried a short recording (spanning 2 files) and it seemed ok (played back well on my tablet). Will monitor further to see if it can fill up the whole card correctly (probably 7+ hours of recording). Will update later.

Ok I have finished one round of testing. The card was able to record 58.7+GB (viewed under windows), and looping seemed to be done correctly. Seems likes it works! Most of the test recordings were of the DVR placed on my table looking at a clock, so that I can compare the timestamp vs the clock video. No problems seen so far.

Ok I have finished one round of testing. The card was able to record 58.7+GB (viewed under windows), and looping seemed to be done correctly. Seems likes it works! Most of the test recordings were of the DVR placed on my table looking at a clock, so that I can compare the timestamp vs the clock video. No problems seen so far.

Version was 2013.05237.01. Bought last year.

I got the card at lunchtime yesterday & it worked fine in my G1W, it recorded 4 hours without problem & room to spare.
I've put it into my Mobius & formatted it in the cam. I had to do a long journey today in a different bus so couldn't test the Mobius as the mount & power cable are in my usual bus.
Hopefully I can give it a good 8hours tomorrow.

I got the card at lunchtime yesterday & it worked fine in my G1W, it recorded 4 hours without problem & room to spare.
I've put it into my Mobius & formatted it in the cam. I had to do a long journey today in a different bus so couldn't test the Mobius as the mount & power cable are in my usual bus.
Hopefully I can give it a good 8hours tomorrow.

@sludgeguts I am sorry to inform you that formatting the 64GB SD card in your Mobius is unlikely to work. This might help though:
The 64 Gb Kingston SDXC Card Works just fine in the mobius, and it loop and overwrite as it is is supposed to. :)

You just have to format the SD Card with SDformatter 4.0, using the settings FULL ( erase ) and format size adjustment ON.

Last edited:
@sludgeguts I am sorry to inform you that formatting the 64GB SD card in your Mobius is unlikely to work. This might help though:
If only I'd seen this first.
Anyhow. I got around 6hours' footage before the camera shut down.
Downloaded the SDformatter 4.0 software and did a full erase foramt etc.
Had the camera running yesterday off a mains adapter for my mobile (mains plug with USB out).
Plugged it in around 1pm & left it going all day. It was still going when I got home & turned it off at 22:58
My PC is reporting the card is almost full, at 58.1GB (63,325,732,864bytes).
There are 101 files on the card, the first file is #18 and the timestamp shows 14:36 start time. The last file is not a complete file (1:28s).
So, I guess the fact that my first file is #18 & I used a freshly formatted card then there was some overwriting going on & I've got 8.5 hours' of footage.
:D

If only I'd seen this first.
Anyhow. I got around 6hours' footage before the camera shut down.
Downloaded the SDformatter 4.0 software and did a full erase foramt etc.
Had the camera running yesterday off a mains adapter for my mobile (mains plug with USB out).
Plugged it in around 1pm & left it going all day. It was still going when I got home & turned it off at 22:58
My PC is reporting the card is almost full, at 58.1GB (63,325,732,864bytes).
There are 101 files on the card, the first file is #18 and the timestamp shows 14:36 start time. The last file is not a complete file (1:28s).
So, I guess the fact that my first file is #18 & I used a freshly formatted card then there was some overwriting going on & I've got 8.5 hours' of footage.
:D
Yep, 8.5 hours would be about right!:)

I was losing about 90 minutes off a day's footage. Bit rough when one of the files I wanted was in the bit that was written over!
Do you know that you can protect the file currently recording by pressing the MENU button ? A key will appear on the screen and the file will be locked, until you erase the file with the PC of format the SD Card.
You can also lock (protect) a specific file directly into the PLAY menu of the camera for a previously recorded file.

Do you know that you can protect the file currently recording by pressing the MENU button ? A key will appear on the screen and the file will be locked, until you erase the file with the PC of format the SD Card.
You can also lock (protect) a specific file directly into the PLAY menu of the camera for a previously recorded file.
Yeah, I used to do that pre-note taking days but sod's law mostly dictated that by the time I got around to pressing the button to protect said file, the cam was recording the next file. It's not always possible to get an accurate handle on the save button immediately, sometimes you have to wait for whatever reason (slow down, too much traffic, not safe to take one hand of the wheel (to reach up to a cam on a flimsy mount...).
It got to the stage where, if an event happened first thing, I would either remove the card & drop the file to my PC at lunchtime OR swap out the card at lunchtime.
I find that max bitrate on the mobius & the 64GB card will hold more than a day's footage

Yep, 8.5 hours would be about right!:)
Sad, I know,
Tues 8h 32m 15s
Wed 8h 32m 20s
Thur 8h 31m 58s
Fri 8h 32m 40s

Interestingly, it's set to save 5min files & they all come in at 5m 01s. Of these 5m01s files, the longest was 629 455KB and the shortest was 597 455KB

:oops: Kept replying to this thread & only just noticed it's GxW. My last couple of posts have referred to me using the 64GB card in my Mobius :oops:

In an attempt to salvage some shred of my dignity, I have to say that I did initial testing of the card in my G1W alongside running the mobius with the 32GB cards in rotation.
When I put the card into the G1W, I formatted the card in the camera & it recorded the remainder of the day. When I reviewd the footage, there were no crappy files or dropped files etc so I went on to use the card in my mobius.

Back