662GW with rear cam overheating and freezing

DashCam11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I’ve only had this a month or so, it’s hard wired, with a rear cam. I’m using a Nextbase SD.

Twice now within 3 days noticed I flashing red LED, and was froze. Tapping screen didn’t do anything.

Unplugged rear cable, and socket was mad hot. Pulled off GPS mount and the camera was also mad hot to touch.

Had to hold power button for ages until switched off. Let it cool a bit and started up again.

Have read about these issues, was kind of hoping, they’d maybe fixed in later hardware editions.

I’ve emailed Nextbase, not really happy spent a lot on this package, spent a lot of time installing to.

What I don’t want is for me not to notice it froze/crashed when I most need it. Dash cam’s should be a fit and forget really. Yes need checking now and then, SD formatted, but not everytime I get on the car.

So I’ve only had this a month or so, it’s hard wired, with a rear cam. I’m using a Nextbase SD.

Twice now within 3 days noticed I flashing red LED, and was froze. Tapping screen didn’t do anything.

Unplugged rear cable, and socket was mad hot. Pulled off GPS mount and the camera was also mad hot to touch.

Had to hold power button for ages until switched off. Let it cool a bit and started up again.

Have read about these issues, was kind of hoping, they’d maybe fixed in later hardware editions.

I’ve emailed Nextbase, not really happy spent a lot on this package, spent a lot of time installing to.

What I don’t want is for me not to notice it froze/crashed when I most need it. Dash cam’s should be a fit and forget really. Yes need checking now and then, SD formatted, but not everytime I get on the car.

I've got exactly the same issue with my 622GW although I've got the rear camera that clicks into the unit itself rather than a wired one. Mine is also hardwired.

I get the following problems:

1. Sometimes I walk behind my car hours after I have last used it and notice that the screen of the 622GW is still on. When I look at the camera, it is generally not actually doing anything, but the screen is on and the camera is really hot. A reset sorts it out, but it keeps happening again and again.

2. Sometimes when I start the car, the camera will boot up, but not start recording automatically. Pressing the red button in the corner of the screen sometimes works, other times it needs a complete reset.

As you say, I'm really looking for something that is fit and forget, and this doesn't seem like it is. Apart from missing footage, my other concern is that if the dashcam crashes when I'm not in the car it never powers off and will run down my car battery very quickly. The hardwire kit is supposed to stop that happening, but it seems like this fault can override that.

I’ve asked for a replacement, although it hasn’t done it again since so I think it was a genuine overheating issue as it was warm on those days.

May as well try a replacement though to see. I’d contact them also been ok support for me so far. Your issues seem worse and it can’t be relied on

I’ve asked for a replacement, although it hasn’t done it again since so I think it was a genuine overheating issue as it was warm on those days.

May as well try a replacement though to see. I’d contact them also been ok support for me so far. Your issues seem worse and it can’t be relied on

It's definitely worth trying a replacement, but I do think you are right to suspect overheating as a design 'issue'.

These units are recording high-bitrate footage for hours on end, so are bound to run hot, but it seems that extra heat either from leaving in the sunlight and/or sttaching a rear camera might be too much and is causing freezing and other unexpected behaviour.

It's understandable, but still makes the units not fit for purpose in my opinion. You can't be expected to remember to take the camera out of the car if it's going to be a hot day nor would you want to if you were driving. Similarly, I could unplug the rear camera, but that was one of the reasons that I bought this model in the first place.

I am going to try running without the rear camera (as a test) and I'll try a replacement model, but I'm not confident at the moment.

Even if your test worked for removing the rear camera that’s not acceptable in my opinion.

I also bought as wanted front and back cameras so want, and expect, both to work.

My seems to have been ok since, and to be fair it was really hot in the car and sun maybe was shining on the camera.

But also I leave mine in all the time as well and don’t want to take out every time, unplugging rear camera, removing from mount etc.

I’ve got in the habit now of glancing over to make sure the red LED is flashing to confirm it’s recording, and also have the sounds on, so after starting car should hear them to confirm ok.

Also as Nextbase recommends to use their SD, and to format every 2 weeks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S 622GW 9
A 622GW 1
pikubik 622GW 1
Rickn55 622GW 37
J 622GW 12
Back