70mai A510 Dash Camera Sony Starvis 2 Dual-Channel review

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai A510 + S500, A229 Pro + VS1, N4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3
We are back at it again after spending an extended period of time with 70mai's latest and greatest, the A510. Another Sony Starvis 2 solution, comprising some new firsts for the brand in a compact, feature-laden package. Let's check out what this all-rounder dashcam is about.

70mai A510 (Sony Starvis 2 IMX675, GalaxyCore GC2053) Review

IMG_20240825_054313.jpg
IMG_20240825_055615.jpg IMG_20240825_055646.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firmware: v1.2.56ww. The firmware version loaded from the factory onto the device was 1.0.40ww, but during the testing period there was an update (mentioned here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...r-2-7k-front-and-1080p-rear.51398/post-623016). I did not receive any further updates during the testing period.

App for testing: Android version 3.6.7, obtained from Google Play Store.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The verdict:

I went into this review not expecting major deviations from what I have observed in the Starvis 2 sensor-ed dashcam world. However, I did come away pleasantly surprised with how well 70mai bought everything together in a seamlessly performing package, with great video quality.

70mai is already an established brand, but they are shaping up to be a force to be reckoned with in the dashcam world. The A510 shows that they are listening further to feedback, and integrating new features and hardware that pushes the envelope of what's possible.

My nitpickings:
  • Rear RC11 camera sensor is serviceable in daylight, but takes a hit in night-time. I believe that there is a newer RC14 sensor available that has the newest Sony Starvis 2 IMX662 1080p sensor, so that will be a big step-up in video quality, and should alleviate all my concerns
  • While better with newer firmware updates, Bluetooth Fast Pairing still needs a bit of work with WiFi to facilitate bug-less transfers of videos
  • Why a battery again instead of supercapacitor? (concern for warmer climates such as Australia)

The positive:

• Solid hardware build and feel-in-hand, looks great with the two-tone minimalist look in vehicles
  • Great video quality from the Sony Starvis 2 IMX675 in HDR
  • More settings than you can shake a stick at (rear orientation and mirroring now added over S500, but still wish for custom plate numbers)
  • Fastest start-up, menu operation, video start/resume I've seen in a dashcam yet
  • 4G LTE module for hardwire parking mode and remote parking surveillance works well
  • Despite not having radar or ultrasonic sensors, ADAS features such as front vehicle start alert and lane departure work well. Initial calibration upon start-up is also fast
  • Can now use Google or Facebook integration in the app to connect to dashcam (previously had to manually sign-up over email)

Last edited:
70mai A510 Dash Camera sample footage:

Daytime Footage (front): 2.7K max bitrate, HDR on:

Daytime Footage (rear): 1080p max bitrate, HDR unavailable:

Night Footage (front): 2.7K max bitrate, HDR on:

Night Footage (rear): 1080p max bitrate, HDR unavailable:

Last edited:
Back