900X plus with BlackVue POWER MAGIC EXPANSION BATTERY (B-124E)

jjevans

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I had the 900S and got a new 900X plus.
I have a BlackVue POWER MAGIC EXPANSION BATTERY (B-124E) and used the wiring included for new 900 plus.

Just to be clear I just replaced the Cig ligher cable from the battery pack to the camera.

Now I have constant power and the camera will not shut off when I turn off the car.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your insight,

JJ

Hi JJ,

First off, you stated you have the B-124E battery pack. You only have/use the B-124E battery pack when you expand the capacity of the B-124X primary battery pack. I would venture to guess that you have the B-124X and not the B-124E unless you have a two battery pack system.

The cigarette lighter power connector that plugs into the B-124X (as provided from BlackVue) delivers constant battery power and ground. There is no switched/accessory power being provided to the cigarette lighter (female) connector. This would result in the DR900X Plus being on all of the time (as long as the B-124X battery has a charge sufficient to provide power) when using the cigarette lighter power port cable for the DR900X Plus dash camera.

I have a video explaining the hardwiring cable configuration for many of the dash camera battery packs manufactured by EGEN. The B-124X is one of those battery packs and they all share the same power output terminal pin layout. The first picture is of the B-124X with the cigarette lighter power port adapter plugged into the B-124X. It's a two wire connection. The second picture is a BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 (again manufactured by EGEN) and I show which terminal pin layout.

blackvue_b124x_cigarette_power_cable.jpgpc8_egen_terminal_pin_layout.jpg

If you were using the DR900S cigarette lighter power connector, then yes you do need to replace it with the one supplied with the DR900X Plus since the number of connectors and its size has changed between the two models of dash cameras.

I'm guessing you want some sort of parking mode enabled in the DR900X Plus dash camera, otherwise why would you have the B-124X battery pack.

The DR900X Plus has two ways to enter parking mode. If the vehicle is stationary for 5-minutes, the dash camera will enter parking mode and it will exit when the vehicle begins moving. The second method requires the use of the 3-wire hardwiring cable for the DR900X Plus dash camera. When wired with the 3-wire hardwiring cable, the dash camera will enter parking mode when the accessory power feed is shut off (ignition switch off) and it will exit parking mode when the accessory power feed is restored (ignition switch on). The motion based parking mode logic is still active as well even when using the 3-wire hardwiring cable (no way to disable that logic if using any of the available parking modes).

There are several additional settings in the DR900X Plus that govern "Battery Protection" (low voltage cutoff and parking mode timer).

It would helpful to explain what your desired behavior (parking mode related) for the DR900X Plus is so it would be easier to let you know how to achieve that behavior.

BTW, I grew up living in MN just north of St. Paul (way back in the late 60s and early 70s). :)

Thank you. That is exactly what I needed. Yes parking mode. I was using it to extend the parking time power. I took some pics to assist.

Awesome! I really enjoy the Twin Cities and have been to every state for work. I also live north of Saint Paul. Nice area.

Attachments

• 1128221556.jpg
    1128221556.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1128221556_HDR.jpg
    1128221556_HDR.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 1128221556b.jpg
    1128221556b.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 3
The pictures show that you have the first generation B-124 battery pack and not the B-124X. The B-124 did not have a USB output power port like the B-124X battery pack.

The cigarette lighter power port cable connected to the B-124's "Dashcam" output power port only provides constant power and ground. Using the updated DR900X Plus cigarette lighter power plug, you'll get constant battery power and a ground being fed to the DR900X Plus. The constant power is fed to both connectors on the outside of the updated DR900X Plus cigarette power port plug connector that plugs into the DR900X Plus. Since the DR900X Plus always sees power on both the constant and accessory connectors on the power plug that plugs into the DR900X Plus, it will only enter parking mode when the vehicle has been stationary for 5-minutes. To get ignition triggered parking mode entry/exit, you would need to use the 3-wire hardwiring harness and use, get or make a cable that would plug into the B-124 "Dashcam" output power port that would then be spliced together with the DR900X Plus 3-wire harness (as I discuss in the video in the previous post).

I have another video that discusses native parking mode with ignition triggered parking mode entry/exit events. I hope I've answered your question(?).

Back