A possible firmware bug

painkiller

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Running firmware SG20160323.V2

The automatic powered off setting is set to 1 minutes (default).
1. Power on the camera and start recording.
2. Press "REC" button to stop recording.
3. Camera shutdown after 1 minutes as expected.
4. But camera power on again automatically after few seconds then start to record again.

The camera is powered through whole process.

It's a non-essential bug, So lower priority then.

it's not a bug it's a feature, if you want the camera to just stay in standby mode if you stop the recording just turn the auto power off function off rather than choosing one of the timed values

Well. That's the default setting though. May I know what's the scenario this auto power off(only for few second?) feature will be used for? Thanks.

if a recording stops, you manually stop and forget to restart, or power is cut during the boot process then the camera will restart and begin recording again, the default setting will make it restart since the primary reason to have a dashcam is to have it recording

if you want to stop recordings for whatever reason and not have them restart then set auto power off to off

if you want to shutdown the camera press and hold the power button and it will stay off

Ok. Thanks for the explanation. The intention make sense.
I assume it's easier implement in firmware to resume recording by a simple restart. Maybe just me, the name of the feature is a bit misleading though. Maybe rename it to something like "Resume recoding after xxx minute" etc.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks for the explanation. The intention make sense.
I assume it's easier implement in firmware to resume recording by a restart(like a watchdog?). Maybe just me, the name of the feature is a bit misleading though. Maybe rename it to something like "Resume recoding after xxx minute" etc.

it previously did just work as an auto off function and it was named like that as that's all it did, it still does auto off but as the camera is still powered it will auto restart, this is to do with the boot script we wrote, you can see some other products in the market that if you cut power at the wrong time during the boot process will just power down and not record anything, that's a huge fail really

will be explained a bit better in the next version of the user manual so it's clearer why it functions the way it does and how to manage things should you want it to stay in standby more or stay powered off etc, may look at renaming that auto restart rather than auto off so it's clearer, appreciate the report all the same, always looking for any bugs

I would call it "Auto power OFF-ON" ( Auto power ON-OFF? ), or "Auto Rec. Restart"

Back