A118C shutting down when cranking the car's starter motor.

Guv

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi everyone.
I am new to the world of DVR and have just found your forums. So much great information, which I wish I'd seen before purchasing a DVR.
I recently bought an A118 battery version mail order. And it is great. I bought it as a first camera to test in both our vehicles before buying more. I have used it with an auxillary power cord from the cigarette lighter in one of my cars and by use of a hard wired power supply from the fuse box in our second car and it works great in both cars. We've been swapping the unit between cars. It runs fine starts automatically and shuts down after a short while about 8 seconds when power is switched off. I have been very happy and impressed with it.
After 9 days usage it paid for itself when someone reversed into the front of my car causing much damage. without the camera it would have been hard to prove I was not at fault. So it has easily paid for itself within 9 days.
Based on this I bought a second A118, having decided it was good value, good image quality well priced, compared to local stores less than half the price and seemingly reliable. I decided to buy the A118C.
Now I have a problem with the A118C which does not exist with the earlier battery version. The camera comes on automatically in both cars with the ignition and starts recording. But when I crank the starter motor to start the engine, the camera powers off and stays off. This is happening in both vehicles hard wired or via accessory power supply. It is as if a slight dip in voltage during enginge starting is making the A118C think it is time to power down. To make the camera power back on I have to either push the units power switch or switch of the car ignition entirely and switch back on, although this second method is no good as when I then crank the engine a second time the camera will again shut down. The camera shuts down very fast when power is removed when compared to the battery version. The A118c shuts down in a second or less, almost instant shutdown, and all files seem to be saved, no corrupt ones, which i have seen mentioned in other threads. The battery one shuts down fine too but takes about 8 seconds.
Is there something wrong with my A118C ? Could it be the firmware which is listed as B40C20160718.001 or have I bought a dud? I am awaiting an answer from the vendor.

I hope that is not too long winded but I wanted to fully describe my issue. Thank in advance for any assistance.

The A118C shutting down instantly while the battery version continues to run for a few seconds is completely normal. The capacitor holds enough power to save the current file and not much more.

Regarding the shut down - when you start the vehicle(s) are you by any chance pausing in the ACC position before starting the vehicle? If that's the case the camera starts to record when in the ACC position and the subsequent power drop when the starter engages is causing the shutdown. If possible go directly from OFF to START and that should result in the camera operating as you would expect. (This won't happen with the battery version simply because it has the delayed shutdown.)

Simple ...
When you crank the engine , there is enough of a power interruption to the camera to trigger shut down ...
You need to find a power source that is not affected by starting the motor ..
I pull power from my internal ( headliner ) lights ( hardwire ) and from time to time there is enough of a power interruption when starting the car to trigger the cam to shut down ...
I have put in a manual switch to cut power , so a quick toggle of the switch turns the cam back on ...

Yes DT MI. This occurs when I linger in ACC position before firing the starter motor. Or if when running I switch off the motor, and remain in ACC postion before restarting the car. This occurs when the camera's power is connected via the cars cigarette socket, this is now the case with multiple vehicles I have tried. The A118C can not handle the drop in power when cranking the motor and switches off, but the A118 battery version can handle the drop in power and remains on.

Thanks old4570. Using the car with the hardwire kit I will try a different power source from the fuse box, and see if I can find one where the power does not get interrupted when cranking the starter motor. I am currently using a power source that is live in the ACC position, and it drops power when starting the engine. Perhaps I should try a power supply which is only live in the IGN position?

This makes me happy my A118C is wired to come on when the ignition is turned to ON, not ACC. I tapped the camera into the Gentex mirror power cable, and that happens to be how they wired up the mirror. Never had the problem mentioned by the OP.

Thanks old4570. Using the car with the hardwire kit I will try a different power source from the fuse box, and see if I can find one where the power does not get interrupted when cranking the starter motor. I am currently using a power source that is live in the ACC position, and it drops power when starting the engine. Perhaps I should try a power supply which is only live in the IGN position?
I always recommend the power window or sunroof circuit as a source when hardwiring. These often stay live while the key is in start position.

Guv: This happened occasionally on my A118C as well in my Subaru Impreza. I've added a delay timer such that the camera doesn't receive power until it has had continuous power for about 4 seconds (adjustable from 0 to 10 seconds). That way if I linger for a moment it will start the timer but as long as that moment is less that a few seconds it won't cause an issue, as it will lose power when I crank and then start the timer again. These timers are available for under $2 on ebay or aliexpress. Here is a video of one in action:

You can if you like add a on off switch ...
So once the engine is running , turn the cam on ...
Added to power line between cam and source of power ..
I sometimes leave my switch active ( live ) and most of the time the A118c handles starting the car fine .
For some strange reason , sometimes there might be power to the headliner ( internal lights ) for up to 10 minutes ( Australian built cars ? )

I like the look of that delay relay Klatch.
Thanks for the tip old4570, but as this will be in the car mostly used by my wife I would like it to be automatic and just come on and off with the ignition just like my battery version.
So I have found a power source which comes on with the IGN setting when turning the key, and does not lose power when the starter is cranked. Problem solved.
So after this experience would it be fair to say that if you want a fit and forget on/off experience with an A118 using the accessory/cigarette lighter power supply, you are going to have issues with the A118C shutting down as the starter motor is cranked, so use the battery version. However, if you are hard wiring and can find a power source that is not interrupted during engine start, then A118C will be fine.

So after this experience would it be fair to say that if you want a fit and forget on/off experience with an A118 using the accessory/cigarette lighter power supply, you are going to have issues with the A118C shutting down as the starter motor is cranked, so use the battery version. However, if you are hard wiring and can find a power source that is not interrupted during engine start, then A118C will be fine.

not really, you bought the copy version, the A118c from Viofo should be fine with this

Last edited:
I like the look of that delay relay Klatch.
Thanks for the tip old4570, but as this will be in the car mostly used by my wife I would like it to be automatic and just come on and off with the ignition just like my battery version.
So I have found a power source which comes on with the IGN setting when turning the key, and does not lose power when the starter is cranked. Problem solved.
For reference, which circuit did you tap into?

Gibson 99 I have wired it into the windscreen washer motor circuit, as there is no power drop here when starting.

Gibson 99 I have wired it into the windscreen washer motor circuit, as there is no power drop here when starting.
Be interested to know if it causes video interference when using the washer. Many motor and heater (ie fan, defroster/demister, heated seats) circuits will cause emi in a video device on the same circuit. I had to be careful of that when i installed Dvd systems professionally.

No problem with interference from the washer. But, alas, jokiin is right. I have some sort of fake clone. And it is playing up. It does not fully start everytime. Most times it starts, and sometimes it stutters, miss starts and restarts, and this results in it sometimes starting and sometimes failing to start. This is all separate to the starter problem.

The Aliexpress vendor, after watching a video of the cameras faultering start ups, has declared it a firmware problem and is going to send an alternative firmware. The vendor has taken an active interest in the issue and is offering genuine customer support. I'll keep you all posted if the alternative firmware results in a fix.

Back