Image Rotation: Off
Format: (Self Explanatory)
Format Warning: Off
Default Settings: (Self Explanatory)
Car Number: (No number)
Custom Text Stamp: (No custom text)
Firmware Version: Current V1.03
Build: 20190911

Thanks Tyestick for your post. It seems quite easy setup and your setting is what most use.
At least you cleared it up for me and others.

Iggy

Curious as to the 3 minute cuts
I just set one up
I'm running 10 minutes
It seems to help keep the number of files down

It does but with shorter clips they are saved, safe, more frequently so are 'in the bag' if needed. With 10 minutes I'd be concerned an incident wouldn't be saved.

Just my view.

Reactions: Mtz
FYI I have used 3 minute clip on all previous dash cams.
Like Kremmen says it doe sit more often in a shorted time span and may be a little more beneficial.
It also matters on your memory card size, speed and what compression method you saving the clips at.
Bottom line personal choice.

I'll track the performance of the 10 minute clips. I'm h264 on mpeg 4 container.
I really dont expect any issues. In using a class 10 128 GB samsung (verified) EVO Select card.
I guess my view point is different. I would rather have the longest clips possible. Less chance of losing data during a save.
Just my thoughts .
Nice cam . I have 2 more to install.

I would rather have the longest clips possible. Less chance of losing data during a save.
I run at 1 minute clips, as I think that the dashcam is less likely to lose data during a save, as there's less data to save every time that it saves at 1 minute than at 3 or even 10 minute intervals.

If you mean you're worried about losing a fraction of a second's footage from one file to another then you do notice a slight pause between each file when using DashCam Viewer. However, if you use DCV to merge the files together you will not notice any delay or loss of recording.

Yes, by using 1-minute intervals you have far more files but Dashcam Viewer never has a problem. Mac DCV is extremely quick on analysing my A119 V3 files and is a bit slower on RoadHawk files. You will also find that DCV is slightly faster when reading an SD card than using an external hard drive although I guess that is showing that SD card has much faster access speeds than a USB external hard drive.

Regards,

As far as I know, the length of the loop clips you choose has nothing to do with how long it takes to save the files. It's all about "closing" the file properly, not writing the whole file to your memory card, which the camera has been doing all along anyway. The camera needs a brief period of self power at shut-down to properly SAVE the LAST file regardless of how long it is. If you have a dash cam with a dead battery or bad super-capacitor that is otherwise being powered by your 12V charger, it is the LAST file that will be lost no matter how long it is while the other files that have been previously recorded should be fine. In other words, if you set your loop clips to one minute, three minutes, five minutes or ten minutes the LAST file be be lost regardless if there is a problem at SHUTDOWN, but not otherwise, so just go with your desired file length.

Perhaps, I'm wrong about my understanding of this. @jokiin can confirm.

no you're not wrong, the only thing to consider with a longer file is that if you do lose the last file that's potentially the last ten minutes prior to losing power that is lost versus the last one minute, the last bit could be the most important but depending on the situation that nine minutes prior may also be valuable

no you're not wrong, the only thing to consider with a longer file is that if you do lose the last file that's potentially the last ten minutes prior to losing power that is lost versus the last one minute, the last bit could be the most important but depending on the situation that nine minutes prior may also be valuable

Thanks for your reply, Ric. I was thinking the same thing after I posted about the length of the last saved file. My point really was in response to @Privateer's remark that, "I think that the dash cam is less likely to lose data during a save, as there's less data to save every time that it saves at 1 minute than at 3 or even 10 minute intervals." But it's not a question of the ongoing saving at "intervals", it's all about the question of saving the LAST file at shutdown regardless of clip length.

So, yes, you're quite right about the length of the last file one would lose. Personally, I've always used 3 minute or 5 minute files. Ten minutes has always seemed way too long for me (for dash cam use) and one minute files are too short in my view because they can fail to capture the full context of your incident. I mean, it's not like the incident or mishap you just captured in your one minute video clip began at the exact beginning of your one minute clip.

My approach is to monitor my cameras well enough to know they are functioning properly but not drive myself crazy with paranoia. In ten years, I've only lost the last file a handful of times and most of that was years ago when dash cams were much less reliable than they are now or when I was doing DIY super-cap experimentation. I did experience a failed super-capacitor several months ago in a Mobius and lost the last 5 minute file but the previous last time that happened was so long ago on any of the five cameras in my vehicle that I can't remember when it was; years actually.

Ultimately, everyone should do what they are most comfortable with when it comes to selecting looping file lengths.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, Ric. I was thinking the same thing after I posted. My point really was in response to @Privateer's remark that, "I think that the dash cam is less likely to lose data during a save, as there's less data to save every time that it saves at 1 minute than at 3 or even 10 minute intervals." It's not a question of ongoing saving at "intervals", it's a question of saving the LAST file at shutdown regardless of length.
yep, file length is unrelated to likelihood of not being saved

That was what I was trying to say as my reason for 3 minute clips.

True but I've compromised, trying to find a particular stretch of road is easier than searching through short clips.

As far as I know, the length of the loop clips you choose has nothing to do with how long it takes to save the files. It's all about "closing" the file properly,
Thank you to @Dashmellow for mentioning that, and also to @jokiin for confirming that it's all about "closing" the file properly and that the time to save files has nothing to do with the length of the file.

Ultimately, everyone should do what they are most comfortable with when it comes to selecting looping file lengths
Yes, it seems like I'm in the minority about using 1 minute loop clips but it works for me. I would never suggest that 1 minute loop clips are the best for anybody else. :) (y)
True but I've compromised, trying to find a particular stretch of road is easier than searching through short clips.
If I'm trying to find a stretch of road I just use the map feature of Dashcam Viewer, click on the route on that road and play the footage, it's useful for verifying. If you've used the road a number of times then you'll have multiple routes and admittedly it gets a bit trickery to find the exact footage that you're after (but I can generally rember the approximate time). If you can't remember the exact stretch of road then I set Dashcam Viewer to x5 speed and sit back with a cup of coffee.

Regards,

My approach is to monitor my cameras well enough to know they are functioning properly but not drive myself crazy with paranoia.
Ah, you've never had a RoadHawk dashcam then? :ROFLMAO:

I've had RoadHawk dashcam for a long time, they've done a good job but their reliability is questionable. I would check the status LEDs often and get my passengers to do the same. RoadHawks would fail for a number of reasons and the only thing guaranteed is that they would fail. Looking back at my records show that every single one has failed and been returned for fixing at least once.

The reason why I kept with RoadHawk so long is simple. RoadHawks (to my knowledge) are the only dashcams that use standard-sized SD cards. As I have a lot of SD cards I didn't want to move over to micro SD cards. Also, when the RoadHawk would fail, I'd send it off and it would be fixed for free and they'd reimburse me the cost of postage. All it cost me was time and I usually had a spare RoadHawk that I'd borrow from a vehicle that wasn't in use until the fixed one was returned.

I may have been very unlucky with RoadHawk. I just hope that the Viofo A119 V3 is more reliable!

Regards,

Back