A119S GPS Module Modification

BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
This DIY project will eliminate many of the issues with the current VIOFO GPS Module. See the before and after road footage.
contact me if interested: GPSmodTape@gmail.com

VIOFO A119S Dashcam - GPS Module MOD
// timeline // 0:09 identify unstable mount // 1:05 before & after footage //
// 1:58 GPS mod step 1 // 2:20 GPS mod step 4 // 2:34 GPS mod step 6 //
// 3:20 attach dashcam // 4:12 material required //

Last edited:
This quick DIY fix should help many as it wedges the camera on nice and tight to reduce wobble. It's not clear what type of tape you're using exactly though. You said it was some type of uncommon/rare heat resistant stuff you have. You wouldn't want to use electrical tape of course since it would turn into a goo'y mess.

8CU38x3.png

wm0KvcJ.png

Over the last two months i've been testing all types of tape including electrical tape and found that stuff actually squeaks on the smooth A119S plastic when driving over bumps. This new high-tech tape is probably the best for this application and I want to see how it compresses & wears over time. Watch this thread for more details shortly.

What type of tape is it though? Your video doesn't really give detailed information on the tape itself. Are you able to provide amazon links? I'd be interested to get some for my two GPS bases. Or perhaps I could paypal you to mail me some in Edmonton? Also, are you doing the strips on both sides of the GPS? I would assume so, but I don't think it was said in your video.

Applying the tape to both sides is implied and mentioned but not shown. You live so close that I could mail you 4 or 6 lengths. Only need 4inch per side but I send 5" as bonus. I'll send you private MSG for your email address. It's worth it for a few dollars, amazing improvement and this tape is extreme quality long lasting and heat resistant.

The tape used in this DIY video is the same tape used inside your dashcam as shown in my TIPs video. It's also found inside laptops, smartphones and auto industry to secure and insulate wires. The tape width used is 10mm for better overlap holding and easier handling.

Last edited:
Should the tape be taken from inside A119S that covers holes and re applied to outside? :rolleyes:

Should the tape be taken from inside A119S that covers holes and re applied to outside? :rolleyes:

thats one way, now you know you had the solution all this time in your dashcam and no one told you. I can mail you some for a small fee depending on country, Private Message me your email (click my Avatar leave message).

OP, Did you try gaffers tape? Its commonly used in the A/V and Photography trades. Gaffers tape is more on the thinner cloth papery side but it is very abrasion resistant. The one in your video appears to be some sort of thicker fiberglass or cloth weave similar to flannel tape.

OP, Did you try gaffers tape? Its commonly used in the A/V and Photography trades. Gaffers tape is more on the thinner cloth papery side but it is very abrasion resistant. The one in your video appears to be some sort of thicker fiberglass or cloth weave similar to flannel tape.

Gaffers Tape only has adhesive on the edges and is not rated for over 50C.

Last edited:
Your mod and video are helpful, thank you.

However I think this repeated pushing of your mystery miracle tape that you can't/won't disclose is distasteful. Now you're outright selling the stuff for profit.

Just search eBay for "High Temperature PTFE Adhesive Tape". A 10 meter roll is around $3-10 shipped depending on the width you want.

Your mod and video are helpful, thank you.

However I think this repeated pushing of your mystery miracle tape that you can't/won't disclose is distasteful. Now you're outright selling the stuff for profit.

Just search eBay for "High Temperature PTFE Adhesive Tape". A 10 meter roll is around $3-10 shipped depending on the width you want.

thanks for your feedback, its been almost 1 year since VIOFO developed the GPS module with this issue and I solved it 1 month ago.

Last edited:
My way. Simple and cheap.
This eliminates the slack between the plane of the GPS module and the camera. At the same time it does not make the pin contact difficult. Checked.

It's hard to notice the difference on a YT movie. . But.
Look at the edge of the engine hood on the film on the left. And then right. This is welded.:)

Last edited:
This eliminates the slack between the plane of the GPS module and the camera. At the same time it does not make the pin contact difficult. Checked.

Look at the edge of the engine hood on the film on the left. And then right. This is welded.:)
Nice! I like that method since it's hidden from view.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Great idea, I tested that 30 days ago, you'll notice the adhesive will start to gum up in about 30 days in hot sun. At that point it will shift and gum up the gold contacts - checked and it happened. Lots of tapes and adhesives out there, the one I finally settled on has zero issues and I suppose you could layer them under the dashcam. I wanted to avoid anything near the gold contacts.

Easier to return the A119S to supplier and buy another brand. The other issue with the *VAST* amount of slop in the GPS mount to camera there are issues with intermittent power to the camera. Plugging in the power to the camera is not an option for easy removal. Hard to believe a company has had such a major issue, introduced a later model and not fixed a major flaw in design.
Edit: ...or a least issued a fix for customers they could post out. Obviously VIOFO are not a customer orientated service company to address faults in their equipment. VIOFO could have brought out a plastic wedge shape or similar to stick on, or hold the camera securely to the GPS module.

Easier to return the A119S to supplier and buy another brand. The other issue with the *VAST* amount of slop in the GPS mount to camera there are issues with intermittent power to the camera. Plugging in the power to the camera is not an option for easy removal. Hard to believe a company has had such a major issue, introduced a later model and not fixed a major flaw in design.
Edit: ...or a least issued a fix for customers they could post out. Obviously VIOFO are not a customer orientated service company to address faults in their equipment. VIOFO could have brought out a plastic wedge shape or similar to stick on, or hold the camera securely to the GPS module.

Totally agree with every word.
I originally purchased the A119 + GPS module and it had the exact same issue do to the single pedestal clip grip mounting mechanism which is inadequate for a camera due to vibration. I spent 30 days in this forum reading every post for both dashcams. This mount issue was not identified by any 'Pre-Production' testers. There was one independent YouTube Review which partly identified this issue back in 2016. By this time production was under way on the GPS Module. The module itself uses the same gold push-pin contacts as many other dashcams which introduce connectivity problems. All of this was unknown to buyers until now, and the reason I took all this time to document everything including a DIY Fix.

In my opinion the company has 4 options:
1) redesign the GPS Module to include three anchor points for stability and distribute to all past customers free.
2) scrap the single pedestal clip grip mounting mechanism and redesign the case and mount and improve air-flow.
3) stop development of the A119 and start over on A200.
4) adopted my simple heat-resistant Tape method and include the Tape in every new box, then mail out the Tape to every GPS Module owner free.

To give some background:
My first A119S was blurry left side - returned, the 2nd was also blurry - returned, the 3rd was also blurry. I concluded all the A119S inventory at my local vendor was defective. Decided to do a complete tear-down (with vendor approval) and 30 day test of all hardware, firmware and optics with video evidence. Manufactures seek dedicated Beta testers to identify, document and suggest improvements. This is my Hobby, and Channel theme - "We Review, Repair and Demonstrate Electronics for home, work and play. Bending Technology to serve your needs is what we do best. "

dnlz5e.jpg

Last edited:
Back