A119S - Viofo, why go back to miniUSB?

Xreenberg

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Viofo... and /or those in the know.

Why did Viofo use the miniUSB format to power the A119S, and not the microUSB format that appeared to have replaced it many years ago?

I can't imagine it is because the mini standard is better than micro.. is miniUSB cheaper to implement?

Also, when will the first new firmware upgrade be issued for this unit?
Thanks,

Is this A119S firmware update A119S_161216_V1.01.7z the same as the firmware update A119S_161216_V1.01 ? Not sure why one of the updates has 7z at the end.

The actual number that matters is "161216" which means that the build have been created on 16/12/2016 :).

No new firmware since December tho...

Hi Viofo... and /or those in the know.

Why did Viofo use the miniUSB format to power the A119S, and not the microUSB format that appeared to have replaced it many years ago?

I can't imagine it is because the mini standard is better than micro.. is miniUSB cheaper to implement?

Also, when will the first new firmware upgrade be issued for this unit?
Thanks,
If you want to contact viofo you need to place this in front of viofo so he will get it @ to be placed in front of viofo.

microUSB doesn't provide much more added value over miniUSB, except for phones where space is a premium and where there are extremely frequent contact insertion/removal.

Larger connectors are generally stronger. In an automotive environment, where there are a lot of vibrations, it makes sense to have a stronger connector, instead of a smaller one.

So considering this I see no issue with miniUSB.

Now that we know why miniUSB may be better than microUSB for this application, let me turn the question around : why choosing a microUSB connector over a miniUSB connector ? :)

Now that we know why miniUSB may be better than microUSB for this application, let me turn the question around : why choosing a microUSB connector over a miniUSB connector ? :)
The simplest reason for me - difficult to buy new with specific length and VIOFO doesn't sell them.
Provided cables : one too short for car (looks for use with computer only) and second super long (good for permanent installation around car window).
Micro-USB available starting from 6 inch till 10 ft.

Looking at replacing my Mini 0806. Its MicroUSB... Seems most cameras are Micro. That said I see on Amazon that they have a Startech Micro-Mini adapter for a few bucks. Rather then re-cabling I will just use the adapter.

Please note that usually adapters, joiners, splitters etc. (and especially the cheap ones) do have problems with inconsistent voltage sometimes and reduces the power in other cases and i would not recommend it. Given the fact that the length of the cables is quite big...

The simplest reason for me - difficult to buy new with specific length and VIOFO doesn't sell them.
Provided cables : one too short for car (looks for use with computer only) and second super long (good for permanent installation around car window).
Micro-USB available starting from 6 inch till 10 ft.

A quick search of Amazon returns many Mini USB cables in lengths from 6" all the way up to 15' with 3, 6, 10 and 12 being very common.

A quick search of Amazon returns many Mini USB cables in lengths from 6" all the way up to 15' with 3, 6, 10 and 12 being very common.
Get a microUSB to miniUSB adapter and you can then use any length microUSB cable.

I have a full set of adapters tho fit any cable connectors on the two heavy duty microUSB cables in my truck to accommodate whatever phone a passenger might have.

MiniUSB, USB C, lightning, old style IPhone...

Check Monoprice for good long microUSB and miniUSB cables. I have a mixture of microUSB and miniUSB dash cameras and have no issue with the choice of port.

If I had to guess, it's probably because Mini USB connectors are much more durable than Micro USB. In my opinion, Micro USB is very flimsy and can be bent easily. It's one of the reasons it never saw widespread adoption with PC peripherals. Most manufacturers wanted something more durable, which is why USB C is such a sturdy connection. As an example of Micro USB's flimsiness, I had a Mini 0805 mounted on the rear windshield of my Tahoe. I got a carwash one day and the guy drying off the car opened the rear windshield and it bent the connector so badly, I had to pay to get a new one installed, since it was tied into the accessory power of my car. I am fairly certain Mini USB would have held up fine in the same scenario.

Back