A139 Pro 3CH, wifi connection not what I expected.

Squanto

Reaction score
Country
United States
My truck is months old and came with a built in wifi hotspot but it's somewhat expensive so I didn't renew the service. I have unlimited 5G TMobile on my phone so I use Android Auto for Waze and Pandora on the truck's screen.

Since the A139Pro doesn't have screen, I wanted to mount my phone to stream the rear cam which for now is inside the rear window of the truck but I might prefer to get an outdoor camera on the bumper. I also have a trailer on order so I would like to be able to switch between the truck rear cam and the trailer rear cam.

I had thought that the A139 wifi would connect to my phone rather than my phone connecting to the A139. If the phone is connected to the A139, it can't connect to the internet to provide internet to the truck. It can only do wifi or mobile data but not both. Or maybe I don't know how to do that.

Any advice here? Thanks.

Next time maybe you read some basic information before you buy something.
The wi fi connection on a dashcam it's just to turn the phone into a remote for the cam, to do settings and to download footage when is urgently needed.

Also, Viofo doesn't have an outside camera and the one provided Isn’t whaterproof.

There are some dashcams that can connect to WiFi rather than being the WiFi provider, but not many. Not useful to most people since their wifi is usually at their house or business, and the car is off when it is parked, and in most cases, so is the camera.

My truck is months old and came with a built in wifi hotspot but it's somewhat expensive so I didn't renew the service. I have unlimited 5G TMobile on my phone so I use Android Auto for Waze and Pandora on the truck's screen.

Since the A139Pro doesn't have screen, I wanted to mount my phone to stream the rear cam which for now is inside the rear window of the truck but I might prefer to get an outdoor camera on the bumper. I also have a trailer on order so I would like to be able to switch between the truck rear cam and the trailer rear cam.

I had thought that the A139 wifi would connect to my phone rather than my phone connecting to the A139. If the phone is connected to the A139, it can't connect to the internet to provide internet to the truck. It can only do wifi or mobile data but not both. Or maybe I don't know how to do that.

Any advice here? Thanks.
On your Android phone you have to enable developer options in settings by tapping few times on android version or build number , it should give you a message that you are a "developer" now, so go back and developer options should pop out in settings menu , in there you just have to toggle "Mobile data always active ".

On your Android phone you have to enable developer options in settings by tapping few times on android version or build number , it should give you a message that you are a "developer" now, so go back and developer options should pop out in settings menu , in there you just have to toggle "Mobile data always active ".
Thanks
I'll see if that does the trick tomorrow.

Sure, hope it helps

My phone (Pixel 4a 5G) is definitely capable of connecting to internet services for its own functions, and simultaneously connect to a dashcam over WiFi. However, I do not think the phone can then act as a WiFi hotspot to provide internet for other devices.

Sure, hope it helps
It does help but only with the truck off. With the truck on, it's own wifi forces a connection to the phone knocking the viofo connection off. Hmmmm still playing with it.

On your phone,go to wifi settings and press forget on the truck wifi or just disable auto conect option

Any advice here? Thanks.
You can have the A139 connecting to your phone's hotspot by turning on the "WIFI station mode" option of the dash-cam: https://viofo.com/blog/how-to-switch-a139-dash-camera-to-wi-fi-station-mode-with-app-b76.html This way you preserve your phone's internet connection and you are able to simultaneously connect multiple dash cams to your phone if you wish to have an extra one for your trailer. The option was available in the original Viofo A139 model and im not sure if it is still available in the A139 pro model.

Check it out an let us know if this feature is still available in the newer model. It would be a pity to have better features in an older model than in the newer release of the same model.

Last edited:
I dont think the station mode wifi are there in the A229 system that are currently the newest / most high end system i am beating on,,,,, or maybe i have just skimmed the settings too fast, as i have said so often i really do not like touching my phone, so there are a big chance i might rush things here.
I do think it might be a useful option to have in the future as cameras get smarter and smarter like it or not.

You can have the A139 connecting to your phone's hotspot by turning on the "WIFI station mode" option of the dash-cam: https://viofo.com/blog/how-to-switch-a139-dash-camera-to-wi-fi-station-mode-with-app-b76.html This way you preserve your phone's internet connection and you are able to simultaneously connect multiple dash cams to your phone if you wish to have an extra one for your trailer. The option was available in the original Viofo A139 model and im not sure if it is still available in the A139 pro model.

Check it out an let us know if this feature is still available in the newer model. It would be a pity to have better features in an older model than in the newer release of the same model
That might be usefull ,good find

Back