A139 Sticky pad problems.

wrighar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone else had this?
Sticky pad falling off the GPS unit dropping the camera, but the pad remaining firmly stuck on the windscreen?

This is the one spare sticky pad, as the original one on the GPS unit also did the same.

Attachments

• IMG_2220[1].JPG
    IMG_2220[1].JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2219[1].JPG
    IMG_2219[1].JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 18
You can simply replace the tape with some fresh 3M VHB tape. Unfortunately, dash cam adhesive does fail like that from time to time. Perhaps it was not applied correctly or under the best of conditions?

You can find replacement 3M VHB tape on Amazon. If required you can simply put two or more strips side by side to cover the entire camera mounting plate. 50mm wide tape is available but not always easy to find. Make sure to thoroughly clean both the glass and the mounting plate with ispropyl alcohol before applying new tape.

Last edited:
I have run into the same problem a few times over the years, always with cameras i have moved, the "funny" thing is it is always with the camera plastic that give up, it is never the bond to the glass of the windscreen.

First time i tried cleaning the otherwise clean looking surface, that did not help, then i tried cleaning and then sand the surface clean with 1000 grit sand paper, that also did not work.
So in the end i got POed and just put some CA glue on the mount and then stuck that to the pad on the windscreen, and then the damn thing stayed in place.

I dont know why it is like this but i have tried it several times, and its just like the contact surface on the camera / mount do not work any more, but it is fortunatly on the disscardable side of things so i have no problems adding a glue to help things along.

You are right about the tape often falling off the plastic rather than the glass, @kamkar. On a very hot day, I came back to my truck and found my rear camera hanging down by its cable. It fell off the plastic side, of course, and the tape was still attached to the glass. There was nothing I could really do about it at the moment so I just pressed it back into place until I could get home and do a proper repair. Somehow, I didn't get around to dealing with it but the camera stayed put. Eventually, like two weeks later I figured that I'd better do something about it or the camera would fall off again, so I went to my driveway with plans to take down the camera and replace the tape. Well, the thing is bonded on there so well that I can't easily remove it now. Go figure!

Has anyone else had this?
Sticky pad falling off the GPS unit dropping the camera, but the pad remaining firmly stuck on the windscreen?

This is the one spare sticky pad, as the original one on the GPS unit also did the same.

This generally happens when you don't have a good bond between the two. If you have alcohol pads, be sure to clean the windshield very well. And also make sure the surface of the GPS Mount is clean. You can wipe with alcohol pad, too.

Attach the adhesive pad to the mount, and then firmly press it onto the windshield. Holding it there, applying pressure, for about a minute or so, to create a good bond. I've never had an issue with mine coming off. Matter of fact, I've had more issue with trying to get the damn thing to COME OFF when I need it to.

May I know How long have you used the sticker? How's the temperature outside?

Do you mind we send you a new one?

Ther original sticker lasted 4 days before failing, this spare one around 2 weeks after cleaing the orginal off and wiping down with alcohol.
Outside tempurature was around 18c.

I'd happily accept replacement stickers.

First time i ran into the issue, was installing my Lukas LK-7500 in my sisters car.
First i tried the spare pad from Lukas, that failed, then i tried a spare patch from a SG camera, this also failed, then i tried a #3 3M patch ( unsure of brand ) anyway it also failed.
And then i got mad and brought out the CA glue, and then the sticky pad did not let go of the camera plastic mount / base.

To be honest with that i have tried when it have happened to me, it is like the things are under a spell, cuz i can not see any good reason as to why the sticky pads should let go of the camera ( always made sure things was in order, i dont just put a new pad over goop from a old pad, every time the surface have looked clean or been cleaned vigorously with solvents that have worked for me in other scenarios.

BTW i have also now seen cameras come off the glass, but this is due to me mounting where other cameras have been, and all of the residue not been gone as it is impossible for me to get all off, but cleaning properly in my case with Kent Speedy 500 ( glue remove solvent ) have fixed the problem, at least the 2 cameras i have put on the glass since the cleaning have stayed in place.

But even with speedy 500 i cant get all of the goo in the perforated shaded area on my windscreen ( most cars seem to have a dot array there for shade but mine have a grit like the leftovers from other cars have been used in my car, so instead of dots o have a grid with round holes in it.

I should probably also say that the K2S camera units ( side cameras ) on my rear door fixed glass are threatening to come off, but have not so far, but it look close some times when half of the contact have been broken.
They have been there for 2 years now.

after cleaing the orginal off and wiping down with alcohol.
Use some detergent, I suspect that some batches of plastic leak some oil, and the pads don't stick to oil. Seems to be a very occasional issue with many brands.

Use some detergent, I suspect that some batches of plastic leak some oil, and the pads don't stick to oil. Seems to be a very occasional issue with many brands.
That is exactly the issue, confirmed here, its the grade of plastic used on mount. When full Sun hits the black 3M adhesive pad it transfers heat to plastic shell and either off gassing or oil residue is created weaking the plastic to 3M adhesive pad. Its even noticeable without the heavy dashcam connected since the mount moves slightly. I've replaced my A139 mount adhesive 3 times and even tried using one from A129. In my opinion the A139 windshield mount contact surface area is too small by half for the dashcam weight. The mount should have been larger. The good news is at -10C or lower it hold very well...

Nothing falling off here.
I have had a similar issue with cameras that had been moved one time, so the camera side of course clean as a whistle and a new pad applied, and then it is like it just do not want to work any more.
tried to clean surface using de grease solvent- tried to clean surface + then sand it using 800 grit, but no dice it is like the surface is now cursed and in the end i just put a little CA glue in between sticky pad and camera.

Nothing falling off here.
I have had a similar issue with cameras that had been moved one time, so the camera side of course clean as a whistle and a new pad applied, and then it is like it just do not want to work any more.
tried to clean surface using de grease solvent- tried to clean surface + then sand it using 800 grit, but no dice it is like the surface is now cursed and in the end i just put a little CA glue in between sticky pad and camera.
Over the years I've noticed VIOFO changed the type of 3M adhesive pad included with their Dashcams.
We can all agree the older "grey" sticker pads were the worst.
I possibly discovered the main reason for variations in owner windshield mount performance. VIOFO likes to change the type of 3M stickers in Dashcam packaging. In many owner unboxing videos the 3M stickers are different within the same camera model.

My observations indicate:
- thinner stickers are very dense like gum = bad for curved windshield mounts // good in cold temps // good for stability // good in hot temps.
- thicker stickers are mostly spongy foam = good for curved windshield mounts // good in cold temps // bad for stability // bad in hot temps.
- VIOFO mount plastic surface varies greatly from model to model from stiff high slick surface to slightly flexible softer texture.
- VIOFO mount with pre-applied adhesive sticker usually results in center air gap on windshield for poor adhesion.
- VIOFO mount with pre-applied adhesive sticker does not have full adhesion as noted when peeled off.

Solutions:
- design larger windshield mounts with more surface area for improved adhesion.
- change to a medium thickness 3M adhesive sticker with superior bonding to plastic.
- design thicker stiff mount surface for 3M sticker that resists flex on the hollow mount shell.
- use higher grade thermally resistant plastic mount sticker surface for reliable 3M sticker adhesion .
- improve manufacturer mount surface cleaning before applying 3M sticker for maximum reliable bonding.
- include more than 2 spare 3M sticker pads for each camera to allow for owner DIY and multi vehicle installations.

To eliminate air gaps from larger 3M stickers the larger mounting surface could use two narrower windshield 3M sticker strips.

Viofo-custom-mount-design-BCHobbyist.png

Over the years I've noticed VIOFO changed the type of 3M adhesive pad included with their Dashcams.
We can all agree the older "grey" sticker pads were the worst.
I possibly discovered the main reason for variations in owner windshield mount performance. VIOFO likes to change the type of 3M stickers in Dashcam packaging. In many owner unboxing videos the 3M stickers are different within the same camera model.

My observations indicate:
- thinner stickers are very dense like gum = bad for curved windshield mounts // good in cold temps // good for stability // good in hot temps.
- thicker stickers are mostly spongy foam = good for curved windshield mounts // good in cold temps // bad for stability // bad in hot temps.
- VIOFO mount plastic surface varies greatly from model to model from stiff high slick surface to slightly flexible softer texture.
- VIOFO mount with pre-applied adhesive sticker usually results in center air gap on windshield for poor adhesion.
- VIOFO mount with pre-applied adhesive sticker does not have full adhesion as noted when peeled off.

Solutions:
- design larger windshield mounts with more surface area for improved adhesion.
- change to a medium thickness 3M adhesive sticker with superior bonding to plastic.
- design thicker stiff mount surface for 3M sticker that resists flex on the hollow mount shell.
- use higher grade thermally resistant plastic mount sticker surface for reliable 3M sticker adhesion .
- improve manufacturer mount surface cleaning before applying 3M sticker for maximum reliable bonding.
- include more than 2 spare 3M sticker pads for each camera to allow for owner DIY and multi vehicle installations.

To eliminate air gaps from larger 3M stickers the larger mounting surface could use two narrower windshield 3M sticker strips.

View attachment 59728

My A139 partially loosened, but the other part stuck so tight it would have destroyed the pad to pull further. It was summer so I gave it full sun on a hot day at work, then pressed it back hard for 3-4 minutes. No problems since :cool: My T130 ills with mounting are already posted, and using the same technique didn't work :( I lightly sanded the mount, wiped with isopropyl, then rubbed hard with a cotton rag. That got it stuck and it's stayed so far.

You're on point with your assessment of the situation. In the southern US heat I've fiound almost all my cam mounts have failed or partially failed at some point. New plastics outgas for awhile and some plastics are more 'oily' than others. It also seems to vary from part to part. Much better results with top-grade 3M pads, cheaper ones are much worse.

Phil

Back