A139Pro wont enter parking mode when using other USB-C cable

hasko

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
My A139Pro is connected to always-on OBD adapter and was working fine since day 1 using stock usb-c cable that comes with the package. The parking mode worked fine as it entered after 5 mins.
However it stopped entering parking mode after I decided to change the stock usb-c cable into new fast charge usb-c cable (the reason is I need L-shape usb-c ).
everything else is working fine. The camera just keep recording 24 hrs non-stop in normal mode. G-sensor is working fine - it locked video when shaking. Wifi is also working fine both normal and station mode.

I'm not sure if there is any special wiring with Viofo usb-c cable or not but the parking mode came back when I changed the cable back to Viofo's.
Does anyone has explanation over this behavior?

If my guess is correct and Viofo does have special wiring then will A229 cable work with A139 Pro? or any other cable that would be compatible ?

I really need L-shaped cable for my installation.

USB has many pins that are not used on all cables to save on cost. Most people just want to charge their device. The signal that checks for auxiliary power may be transmitted on one of USB pins that is not included in your L-Shaped cable. Try getting a quality data transfer USB cable. Most data transfer cables have all the pins connected. These cables usually cost more.

My A139Pro is connected to always-on OBD adapter and was working fine since day 1 using stock usb-c cable that comes with the package. The parking mode worked fine as it entered after 5 mins.
However it stopped entering parking mode after I decided to change the stock usb-c cable into new fast charge usb-c cable (the reason is I need L-shape usb-c ).
everything else is working fine. The camera just keep recording 24 hrs non-stop in normal mode. G-sensor is working fine - it locked video when shaking. Wifi is also working fine both normal and station mode.

I'm not sure if there is any special wiring with Viofo usb-c cable or not but the parking mode came back when I changed the cable back to Viofo's.
Does anyone has explanation over this behavior?

If my guess is correct and Viofo does have special wiring then will A229 cable work with A139 Pro? or any other cable that would be compatible ?

I really need L-shaped cable for my installation.
Is the cable that you're using fully USB-IF compliant?

Back in the days when I used to shop for USB-C cables, I only bought cables that were reviewed by "Benson Leung" or "Nathan Kolluru"(AKA "Nathan K"), engineers at Google. Both of them made a name for themselves in checking for the compliance of USB-C cables and whether they support USB-C PD (Power Delivery).
I'm not sure if they still do that, or whether their Google spreadsheets are even up to date however.

Is the cable that you're using fully USB-IF compliant?

Back in the days when I used to shop for USB-C cables, I only bought cables that were reviewed by "Benson Leung" or "Nathan Kolluru"(AKA "Nathan K"), engineers at Google. Both of them made a name for themselves in checking for the compliance of USB-C cables and whether they support USB-C PD (Power Delivery).
I'm not sure if they still do that, or whether their Google spreadsheets are even up to date however.
I just test my new usb-c cable and it actually can transmit data (using with my android phone).
My OBD adapter should only deliver DC current anyway without sending any data so how come my A139 pro wont enter parking mode with this cable. I believe Viofo uses G-sensor to detect no movement to enter parking mode. Last I tested when I shake the camera it makes protection files so G-sensor is working fine.

Now I am more curious to why parking mode acts differently.

I just test my new usb-c cable and it actually can transmit data (using with my android phone).
My OBD adapter should only deliver DC current anyway without sending any data so how come my A139 pro wont enter parking mode with this cable. I believe Viofo uses G-sensor to detect no movement to enter parking mode. Last I tested when I shake the camera it makes protection files so G-sensor is working fine.

Now I am more curious to why parking mode acts differently.
Saying that it can actually transmit data doesn't really mean much...
Buying USB cables is like the wild wild west of buying of SDcards on eBay, or 3rd party vendors on Amazon.

Before buying any USB-C cable, be sure to ensure that it has USB-IF certification, supports Power Delivery, 5A rating, and all that jazz.
Don't just buy any crap USB cable from eBay, Amazon, or your local store/vendor without researching it.

Viofo is using a special USB-C cable and is not about wiring or standards. There was some discussion about it in the A139 forum. I think the Viofo USB-C connector have some resistor inside it to make the Parking Mode working.
Maybe is better to think about a good quality USB-C adapter at 90 degrees and in this way you will use the original Viofo USB-C cable.

one of the usb-c pin is called the ID pin. for some cables, this is not mandatory and will increse the cost, so they come without ID pin, same thing happend on micro usb and mini usb. make sure the cable you use has the ID pin.

Viofo is using a special USB-C cable and is not about wiring or standards. There was some discussion about it in the A139 forum. I think the Viofo USB-C connector have some resistor inside it to make the Parking Mode working.
Maybe is better to think about a good quality USB-C adapter at 90 degrees and in this way you will use the original Viofo USB-C cable.
This doesn't make sense though when applying to the original poster's problem.

He is powering the a139 pro from just a usb power source, NOT using the parking mode adaptor kit. With just basic USB 5v coming from a standard 12v converter, there is no data sent down the cable, therefore any usb c cable should work.

Now, if they have made some strange "USB C" cable, that has pins joined differently to a standard USB C connector, then it is no longer a USB C cable, and shouldn't be advertised as such!

one of the usb-c pin is called the ID pin. for some cables, this is not mandatory and will increse the cost, so they come without ID pin, same thing happend on micro usb and mini usb. make sure the cable you use has the ID pin.
There is no ID pin on USB C, so having an ID pin cable is not possible haha

There is no ID pin on USB C, so having an ID pin cable is not possible haha
well, I have both 129 pro using mini usb and 139 pro using usb c. the mini usb c does come with a pin called the ID pin which is connected to ACC of your car to check if your car is ignited or not, then the cam will enter either recording mode or parking mode accordingly. when it comes with usb c , I suppose, there must be a pin work the same function. I personally name it the ID pin. just make suer buy the full fuctioning usb c cable to replace the official wire.

well, I have both 129 pro using mini usb and 139 pro using usb c. the mini usb c does come with a pin called the ID pin which is connected to ACC of your car to check if your car is ignited or not, then the cam will enter either recording mode or parking mode accordingly. when it comes with usb c , I suppose, there must be a pin work the same function. I personally name it the ID pin. just make suer buy the full fuctioning usb c cable to replace the official wire.
The point is, the USB cable will be the same. ANY mini or USB C cable would power those cameras if connected directly to a USB power source. Parking mode would work as standard. When it comes to instant parking mode when the ignition is switched off, you would HAVE to buy the correct Viofo kit. Not because the USB data is different, but the circuitry in the box would be specific to Viofo (expect for any copies etc, but you get the point)

Not sure if this helps but I already had a power supply for my previous dashcam with a mini usb plug. I used a short converter to C cable and my A139 Pro works fine.

Back