A229+ 2ch says "Please Format SD Card" now and then

Yohapmow

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hello. Pretty often my A229+ 2ch asks me to format the SD card, when it has not gone 30 days (the reminder setting i've set). So I'm starting to think something is not right. I noticed one time when i wanted to save a video that the Front video wasn't saved, so that might also be a symptom of something.

I use a card recommended by Viofo here, the 256GB SanDisk MAX ENDURANCE. https://www.viofo.com/blogs/viofo-c...hoose-a-right-micro-sd-card-for-your-dash-cam

The message to format SD card returns now and then. Sometimes within 1-2 days (just after say in total 2-3 hours of driving). Sometimes it can take a while, like week(s).

I have tried formatting using the built in formatter in camera (exFAT), I've tried with the "guiformat" tool that makes a big FAT32 (and using the slow full format, not quick). Funnily enough when I did that, the camera instantly said "Please format SD Card" as I turned the camera on.

I have also done a test on the card with the h2testw application, and it returned no errors:
"Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 71.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 90.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4"

With this result, it doesn't feel like this card is defect, or can a defect card return successful tests like this?

I have also tried updating the firmware on front and back camera to the latest one (Front V1.3_240612, Back V1.3_240605), and then done a factory reset of the system. Format message still comes back now and then.

Any ideas? Is something with my maybe camera broken? The super capacitor looks like it keeps the camera on for a good amount of seconds (I haven't measured exact time though), and checking files on the card it seems like all the files that should've been saved are saved, even after getting the random "Please format SD card" messages. It's just that one time I mentioned earlier in the post when one video wasn't there, that I've noticed it. I've been looking for it regularly since then but haven't noticed that problem again.

Thankful for any ideas!

Hello. Pretty often my A229+ 2ch asks me to format the SD card, when it has not gone 30 days (the reminder setting i've set). So I'm starting to think something is not right. I noticed one time when i wanted to save a video that the Front video wasn't saved, so that might also be a symptom of something.

I use a card recommended by Viofo here, the 256GB SanDisk MAX ENDURANCE. https://www.viofo.com/blogs/viofo-c...hoose-a-right-micro-sd-card-for-your-dash-cam

The message to format SD card returns now and then. Sometimes within 1-2 days (just after say in total 2-3 hours of driving). Sometimes it can take a while, like week(s).

I have tried formatting using the built in formatter in camera (exFAT), I've tried with the "guiformat" tool that makes a big FAT32 (and using the slow full format, not quick). Funnily enough when I did that, the camera instantly said "Please format SD Card" as I turned the camera on.

I have also done a test on the card with the h2testw application, and it returned no errors:
"Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 71.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 90.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4"

With this result, it doesn't feel like this card is defect, or can a defect card return successful tests like this?

I have also tried updating the firmware on front and back camera to the latest one (Front V1.3_240612, Back V1.3_240605), and then done a factory reset of the system. Format message still comes back now and then.

Any ideas? Is something with my maybe camera broken? The super capacitor looks like it keeps the camera on for a good amount of seconds (I haven't measured exact time though), and checking files on the card it seems like all the files that should've been saved are saved, even after getting the random "Please format SD card" messages. It's just that one time I mentioned earlier in the post when one video wasn't there, that I've noticed it. I've been looking for it regularly since then but haven't noticed that problem again.

Thankful for any ideas!
Please turn off the format reminder to test. Besides, is the time on your camera correct all the time?

Tjena Yohapmow

As Viofo say it could be the format reminder that the camera have build in, it is a good thing to do now and then but i personally never needed a reminder to do it.
I can not remember if this is a feature that is on by default, it have been a while since i tested a Viofo system, but you should be able to turn it off if you want to.

Thanks for the replies, VIOFO-Support and kamkar (tjena)!

I don't remember if the format reminder is on by default, but I liked the theory of being reminded, if it was every x days that I set. So I made sure it was on.

I have never noticed that the timestamps has been incorrect, they seemed to look right when it has mattered (when browsing the videos). But I never tried looking for it, so I'm open to having missed it.

I will turn off the reminder for the time being, and doublecheck timestamps now and then. We'll see if something changes

Pretty often my A229+ 2ch asks me to format the SD card, when it has not gone 30 days (the reminder setting i've set). So I'm starting to think something is not right. I noticed one time when i wanted to save a video that the Front video wasn't saved, so that might also be a symptom of something.
My A229 Plus displays the same behavior as yours with both Viofo and Sandisk Max Endurance cards. Changing the bitrate setting from Maximum to High solved the front camera occasionally not recording problem. The format card message hasn't triggered for a couple of weeks but I've just now turned off the reminder and will see how it goes.

My A229 Plus displays the same behavior as yours with both Viofo and Sandisk Max Endurance cards. Changing the bitrate setting from Maximum to High solved the front camera occasionally not recording problem. The format card message hasn't triggered for a couple of weeks but I've just now turned off the reminder and will see how it goes.
Is the firmware on your camera the latest one? If not, you can download the file to update from this page: https://www.viofo.com/pages/firmware

Bought the A229 Plus 3CH with HK4C kit a week ago and after updating the firmware to V1.3_240612, V1.3_240605 experience the same problem (not tested with the standard firmware).

With the Reminder Format sd card setting when it is set to 30 days, I experienced it several times when the power was interrupted by the intervention of the HK4 kit (due to battery below voltage setting) and also when the camera was manually switched off with the Power Off button, after which the message appeared in both cases after switching the power on. Then I turned off this timer and the message does not appear. I'm using a Samsung 256GB Pro Plus U3 V30 A2 card.

Contacted Viofo Benelux and the replied as follows:
"However, we do not recommend using the Samsung card.
We sell the High Endurance and VIOFO SD cards.
We cannot say this with 100% certainty, but in the past we have experienced problems with the type of card you are using."

Can be related to the type of sd card or something with the firmware? For now I put the setting for the Reminder format off and put a one month reminder in my phone.

I am getting the required format message also on my two A229 Plus cameras. Do not have format reminders turned-on. One Sandisk Max Endurance 256gb card is relatively new.

Also got a card error just a few day on power-up. Power recycle and it recovered. First time for this error.

Back