A229 Plus 3Ch vs A139 3Ch

momo.momo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Been reading and learning a lot on here so thanks all for sharing time and knowledge for others.

Ive got a dilemma.

I have an order awaiting dispatch from Viofo. In that order I have 2 cameras. One of them is the A139 3Ch.

I knew the A229 with new Starvis2 was due to be released but at time of purchase there was no mention of it. Today I can see, I can pre order it.

So the question is, for the same price, I may be able to get the A229 3Ch over the A139 3Ch if I can ask them to hold my order and not dispatch- is the A229 better by a clear mile here? All 3 sensors are better it seems, correct?

What are the pros of going for the A139 over the A229? I can only think of the form factor and the cables- the A139 is maybe flatter and less visible when fitted? And the coax cables are smaller and easier to get a neater install. A139 has a better lens possibly?

I am not getting the pro models in either due to budget. These two are the sweet spot in terms or performance and price for me.

Currently the A229 is up for pre order and comes with a 128gb card, no hardwire kit and CPL but is cheaper to buy.

My A139 'bundle' came with everything above apart from the SD card. Once I factor in the hardwire kit and CPL, cost will be about the same.

So what should I do?

Hi everyone,

Been reading and learning a lot on here so thanks all for sharing time and knowledge for others.

Ive got a dilemma.

I have an order awaiting dispatch from Viofo. In that order I have 2 cameras. One of them is the A139 3Ch.

I knew the A229 with new Starvis2 was due to be released but at time of purchase there was no mention of it. Today I can see, I can pre order it.

So the question is, for the same price, I may be able to get the A229 3Ch over the A139 3Ch if I can ask them to hold my order and not dispatch- is the A229 better by a clear mile here? All 3 sensors are better it seems, correct?

What are the pros of going for the A139 over the A229? I can only think of the form factor and the cables- the A139 is maybe flatter and less visible when fitted? And the coax cables are smaller and easier to get a neater install. A139 has a better lens possibly?

I am not getting the pro models in either due to budget. These two are the sweet spot in terms or performance and price for me.

Currently the A229 is up for pre order and comes with a 128gb card, no hardwire kit and CPL but is cheaper to buy.

My A139 'bundle' came with everything above apart from the SD card. Once I factor in the hardwire kit and CPL, cost will be about the same.

So what should I do?
I don't think there's going to be night and day difference between the two, but if you factor in Starvis 2 you might want the updates that brings.

Also, the A139 has been out for a while now so has mature firmware and support that Viofo has been working on. The A229 Plus does not, so although it will probably work great out of the box - enhancements/bug fixes might take a while to iron out.

I'd personally go for the newer model cos of the Starvis 2 which has shown promising results, but the ball is in your court mate ...

They are different generations throughout, the newer one is most definitely better, significantly better sensors, HDR on all sensors, voice control.
The old A139 maybe easier to install due to thinner cables and connectors, but that is about it.

Can't say much more because the new A229s are not with us yet, but you can look at what people have said about the A119 Mini 2 for a guide to the sensor improvements and voice control.

As Agie said, new cameras can have a few problems and need a few firmware updates, but with the free very high quality memory card it seems a good deal to me.

Thanks Nigel. I guess that settles it and makes most sense. Just wanted a nudge. As I've already purchased a 256gb Sandisk card from their recommended list, I will be asking for them to switch out the 128gb card for the wiring and Cpl which they have agreed. Great company to deal from the beginning.

Thanks Nigel. I guess that settles it and makes most sense. Just wanted a nudge. As I've already purchased a 256gb Sandisk card from their recommended list, I will be asking for them to switch out the 128gb card for the wiring and Cpl which they have agreed. Great company to deal from the beginning.
Glad we could assist, enjoy your new purchase :)

I am not too happy with the screen of the A229 pro compared to A139 wich is much more stealth ,am i wrong ?

I am not too happy with the screen of the A229 pro compared to A139 wich is much more stealth ,am i wrong ?
To me, the screen doesn't make much difference to the stealth, you can put the screen saver on activate after 3 seconds so that it is almost always off, and when off the screen is the same colour as the case, so it is not very visible. The A139 is the smaller camera but it isn't a big difference, stealth is more to do with the shape, the A139 shape is good for some cars, the A229 shape is better for others.

You are not wrong, it's just preference.

What will make you more unhappy?
a.) screen
b.) lower image quality

b.) lower image quality
They have the same front sensor, and I would expect the same front lens, so image quality is not going to be much lower for the front.

For the rear, there is twice the resolution plus Starvis 2 plus HDR on the A229, it is going to be much better, but rear image quality is not so important as front image quality.

For the interior, the HDR on the A229 may improve the external view through the side windows considerably, some people will consider this important, but not everyone.

If using all 3 channels, the front bitrate on the A139 becomes rather low, hopefully the A229 will be able to manage a decent bitrate with 3 channels, although it may still be limited by memory card performance, so we don't know yet.

They have the same front sensor, and I would expect the same front lens, so image quality is not going to be much lower for the front.
Incorrect.
For the rear, there is twice the resolution plus Starvis 2 plus HDR on the A229, it is going to be much better,
Correct.
but rear image quality is not so important as front image quality.
Incorrect.
If using all 3 channels, the front bitrate on the A139 becomes rather low
Correct.
It also becomes 24fps, (fake 4K).
hopefully the A229 will be able to manage a decent bitrate with 3 channels
Incorrect.
Front & Rear only.

If using all 3 channels, the….
Correct.
It also becomes 24fps, (fake 4K).
I use it at 30fps, real 4K; you just need to select the 1600 wide screen 4K mode, which I use anyway, even in 1 channel mode , since it gives higher bits per pixels, and thus better detail.

I use it at 30fps, real 4K; you just need to select the 1600 wide screen 4K mode, which I use anyway, even in 1 channel mode , since it gives higher bits per pixels, and thus better detail.
So if using the A229 plus 3 channel I have these options:
1440P 30fps+1440P 30fps+1080P 30fps
1080P 30fps+1080P 30fps+1080P 30fps

Well this is is what shown on the webpage:

Would this setting be optimal and considered 'decent' for capturing good footage:

you just need to select the 1600
Industry Recognized 4K Minimum Standards
1.) 3840 x 2160p
2.) 16:9 Aspect Ratio (standard widescreen)
3.) Minimum 30fps

1600p = Fake 4K
Anything other than 16:9 Aspect Ratio = Fake 4K
24fps = Fake 4K
A139 Pro in 3-CH configuration = Fake 4K
A139 Pro in 1-CH, or 2-CH configuration = Real 4K

Screenshot 2023-09-20 9.33.44 AM.png

So if using the A229 plus 3 channel I have these options:
1080P 30fps+1080P 30fps+1080P 30fps

Well this is is what shown on the webpage:

Would this setting be optimal and considered 'decent' for capturing good footage:
Yes, the 1440 (2K) resolution will be the optimal setting for the A229 Plus, and is decent for UK use. You can look up the A119 Mini 2 reviews to see what people think of that sensor and resolution, the A229 Plus should have similar image quality, although I do expect a few differences.

I'm not sure why anyone would choose the 1080 option, better to turn the bitrate down if you want to save memory card space. There may be more options in the final release version, have to wait and see, but a widescreen option like I am using on the A139 Pro doesn't make so much sense for a 2K camera as for a 4K camera with a wider lens.

For Viofo, there is an error on that webpage, it says the A229 Plus has "Image Sensor | Front: Sony Starvis 2 IMX675 8MP Sensor", it should of course be a 5MP Sensor!

Anything other than 16:9 Aspect Ratio = Fake 4K
Incorrect, the original 4K cinematic resolution of 4096x2160 is 17:9 ;)

4K means approximately 4 thousand pixels horizontally, which 3840x1600 30fps is, and it makes for very nice widescreen 4K, much better than 25fps unless you are watching on an old CRT tube display that runs at 25/50Hz!

Incorrect, the original 4K cinematic resolution of 4096x2160 is 17:9 ;)

4K means approximately 4 thousand pixels horizontally, which 3840x1600 30fps is, and it makes for very nice widescreen 4K, much better than 25fps unless you are watching on an old CRT tube display that runs at 25/50Hz!

Wales is beautiful. I had an immense time driving through similar roads around Wales quite a few years ago. You just can't beat it. If that's a local drive you, youre in the right place.

3840x1600
Nobody wants to see dumb black bars on their expensive TV at home. lol
That's why the "Industry Standard" Aspect Ratio is 16:9.
Super wide Aspect Ratios is fine for watching movies in an actual movie theater where you can't see the black bars at the top & bottom of the screen.
We are starting to split hairs so go ahead and reply one more time, I give up.
You win. lol

Nobody wants to see dumb black bars on their expensive TV at home. lol
That's why the "Industry Standard" Aspect Ratio is 16:9.
Super wide Aspect Ratios is fine for watching movies in an actual movie theater where you can't see the black bars at the top & bottom of the screen.
We are starting to split hairs so go ahead and reply one more time, I give up.
You win. lol
Who has one of those old 16:9 screens these days?

Isn't everyone moving to Ultrawide 21:9 screens like my video above? They are widely available these days, many at the same native resolution as my video, some with HDR.

Then you have no
dumb black bars
top and bottom whatever ratio you are using, as explained in:

You win. lol
You giving up? I still think it is a valid 4K resolution!

I still think it is a valid 4K resolution
Of course it's a "version" of 4K.
My argument is 1600p is NOT the "widely accepted industry standard" that 3840 x 2160p is.

Back