A229 Plus Ongoing review

JDtime

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo Mini, Viofo WM1, Blueskysea b1w, Vantrue X1
So some unboxing and photos from a production model of the a229.

First impressions. The camera's feel very well built. The buttons on the a229 seem to be a bit mushy or soft feeling vs the more clicky feeling of the viofo mini. Other than that the cameras feel very well built and usual high quality of Viofo products. The main camera has a bit of heft to it as there is a metal heatsink inside the camera to dissipate heat. I finally got to set up the main camera today. The voice commands work wonderfully. I did not have to repeat myself and worked first time. My only thought is I wish they had an activation word. I would hate for regular conversation in the car to start activating different things on the camera. Heat with the camera seems to have been fine. I will test this more as we go. Video quality is great on the main camera and rear camera were very good.

I highly recommend the Viofo sd card for this set up. It is not only a high endurance card, but its also fast. I think any third party cards that I am aware of on the market currently meet one or the other but not both of those standards. Not all sd cards are equal. They are built different and have different controllers and memory types (MLC, TLC, SLC). This is where most people fail, and fault the camera just because they are trying to save a buck. I know you can get a large card for 15 bucks. DON'T DO IT. In multi stream cameras systems use the manufacturers card and save yourself a lot of headache. Its tested and made sure to work with their products.

Also happy to report with firmware update all my settings stayed the same unlike when I updated my mini or wm1 cam.

Attachments

• 20231004_145136.jpg
    20231004_145136.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231004_150221.jpg
    20231004_150221.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231004_150309.jpg
    20231004_150309.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231004_150334.jpg
    20231004_150334.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231004_150341.jpg
    20231004_150341.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231004_150402.jpg
    20231004_150402.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20231004_150447.jpg
    20231004_150447.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Very nice.
Let's get testing so we can make this camera the best it can be.
Be sure to check hot & cold focus of all cameras.
My rear camera is slightly soft.
See if you can confirm & verify the issues RCG530, and myself are seeing.

Very nice.
Let's get testing so we can make this camera the best it can be.
Be sure to check hot & cold focus of all cameras.
My rear camera is slightly soft.
See if you can confirm & verify the issues RCG530, and myself are seeing.
Once I get it installed. Hope to do it later after work before it rains but its suppose to be raining next few days and no garage to work in. I am also suppose to have the production version so I will see if focus thing was fixed in it or not.

Side by side. First photo is the main front cam. 2nd is "rear" cam right next to main cam. Quality of the lens and sensor in each is on par and look Identical.

Attachments

• rear.png
    rear.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 54
  • front.png
    front.png
    4 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Actually the center of the image of the Rear looks blurry to me.
Can you retest on some signage?

Viofo a229 plus front main came. Mostly all stock settings as they come out of the box. HDR on, Ev +.3, Cpl on. 60hz, Bitrate is set to normal. Night was a bit misty with moisture in the air. I am trying to leave most settings to stock as that is how most users will use the cam when they buy it.

Last edited:
Oncoming headlights look overexposed.

Would you be willing to try?
EV 0.0
Bitrate Maximum
Ill lower the ev back. I am use to my mini where I had to set that up higher. Bitrate I am going to change just to test out as I do want to see how camera does at its full potential. I just think for most users though they will keep that at normal.

Actually the center of the image of the Rear looks blurry to me.
Can you retest on some signage?
Yup going to do this as well. I think it might just be shadows playing with eyes though. We'll see.

Caught a frame drop on a229 plus. Single channel mode. HDR off, bitrate set to high, ev +3. Using Viofo 128gb sd card, supplied power wire and adapter.

Caught a frame drop
You may want to include what firmware version this video was filmed with.
If it was filmed with 0922, I think this issue was fixed with 1009.
I still need to confirm & verify.

You may want to include what firmware version this video was filmed with.
If it was filmed with 0922, I think this issue was fixed with 1009.
I still need to confirm & verify.
Ahh ok. I am going to have to reach out to @VIOFO-Support for the 1009 firmware. I only have 0922.

I think some of us are receiving production firmware only since we received production units, others pre-production firmware (for earlier units).... @viofo @VIOFO-Support
Got the firmware this morning. Was told they are still making tweaks. I will see if I notice anymore frame drops in the next few days.

Got the firmware this morning.
Is this a test sample?
When it comes time for your final review we are supposed to disclose this.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-16 8.26.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-16 8.26.35 AM.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 18
Viofo a229 plus vs Vanture S1 Pro. Viofo is much sharper overall throughout image. Both cams with hdr off, cpl on, ev at default.
plus.jpgs1.jpga229p.jpgs1p.jpg

Last edited:
The lens quality is not the same.
@viofo Indeed not the same quality. The lens plays a big part not just the sensor. I do wish you would add in the option in the app to control the color saturation and tint though. I feel the video is a bit to cool and a bit over saturated. While the Vantrue seems to like theirs more of a purple tint.

Back