A229 Pro - HDR activation results in a gap in video

NicholasOakenscowl

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I had HDR Auto set to start at 19:00. Looking at the video, once the camera's clock hit exactly 19:00:01 the "HDR" text overlay appeared, and at the end of that second (before 19:00:02 appeared) the video was cut, resulting in a 50 second file. Recording was resumed at 19:00:05 in the next file, leaving a gap of several seconds.

Is this normal?

I had HDR Auto set to start at 19:00. Looking at the video, once the camera's clock hit exactly 19:00:01 the "HDR" text overlay appeared, and at the end of that second (before 19:00:02 appeared) the video was cut, resulting in a 50 second file. Recording was resumed at 19:00:05 in the next file, leaving a gap of several seconds.

Is this normal?
Perhaps in subsequent firmware Viofo will fix this, but for now it’s normal.

Is this normal?
Perhaps in subsequent firmware Viofo will fix this, but for now it’s normal.
This is one of the reasons I don’t use HDR “Auto” setting, (I only use HDR Off / HDR On).
It’s like asking him to add cream, after asking him to make coffee.
LMAO

The good news is options are coming.
The new 3-Button Bluetooth Remote will give you another option to enable/disable HDR.
Also maybe one day we will get HDR Voice Commands, (Turn On HDR / Turn Off HDR).

Screenshot 2024-05-19 8.43.08 AM.png

This is one of the reasons I don’t use HDR “Auto” setting, (I only use HDR Off / HDR On).
It’s like asking him to add cream, after asking him to make coffee.
LMAO
The good news is options are coming.
So, you are driving and texting, right? or you briefly park the car to turn HDR ON/OFF? :)
And, do we know for sure there is no gap with manual HDR control.

Options are good, but too many options are really confusing to average consumer.
Many options are completely unnecessary and need to be removed.

Also, all this additions are OK but, VIOFO needs to be focused on essentials, like:
Where is the fix for A229Plus night HDR performance?
Are the problems with AED parking fixed for Pro?
Where is my 2K 60FPS for A229Plus? (I actually got A229Plus for my wife, over 2xMini2, hoping it will be equivalent as specs suggested)

All this is still advertised and either not working properly or missing in action.

@viofo, please focus on essentials!

Where is my 2K 60FPS for A229Plus? (I actually got A229Plus for my wife, over 2xMini2, hoping it will be equivalent as specs suggested)
60fps cannot be used with the HDR on at the same time. So there is no option for 60fps if the HDR is on. For A229Plus night HDR performance, we will keep on optimizing it.

So, you are driving and texting, right? or you briefly park the car to turn HDR ON/OFF? :)
Before I leave my garage I check, and adjust camera settings.
I do not change settings while I’m driving that would be stupid.
Where is the fix for A229Plus night HDR performance?
I’ve been asking this since October 2, 2023, (6 Months).

1 .png

I understand people who want to add some options, but why do some want to remove existing ones...
Options were added to the firmware for a reason, but users asked for them and Viofo decided to make them possible.
If someone doesn’t need certain options in the menu, they can simply not pay attention to them, why delete them right away...
For some reason, no one asks car manufacturers to remove the options that the manufacturer has implemented in their car,
but they use them with pleasure...

Is this normal?
Yes. The camera stops recording in no-HDR mode and then resume to start in HDR mode. I consider to be the most unlucky person in the world to have a traffic problem during that 4 seconds.
I expect less seconds for the 1CH version.

60fps cannot be used with the HDR on at the same time. So there is no option for 60fps if the HDR is on. For A229Plus night HDR performance, we will keep on optimizing it.

I am aware that 60FPS and HDR do not mix.

However,
With A119 Mini 2, and original A119 Mini, I am using Auto HDR at 30FPS for the nighttime and 60FPS for the daytime recording with no HDR, and it works just fine.

But with A229 Plus, even so I have selected 60FPS for daytime, it does not work as for Mini2.
With Auto HDR OFF for the daytime, recording defaults to 30FPS no HDR.

I understand people who want to add some options, but why do some want to remove existing ones...
Options were added to the firmware for a reason, but users asked for them and Viofo decided to make them possible.
If someone doesn’t need certain options in the menu, they can simply not pay attention to them, why delete them right away...
For some reason, no one asks car manufacturers to remove the options that the manufacturer has implemented in their car,
but they use them with pleasure...
Because of too many options, in some cases ridicules options, almost never used options, unnecessary complicate the product.
It affects negatively on reliability, probably boot time, who knows what else, takes focus of not so big VIOFO staff from the really essential issues.
Take a look on how many resolutions are supported for Mini2 for example, does anyone (power users) on this forum use Full HD instead of native 2K?
Why reduced bitrates are option, is anyone on this forum (power users) using lower than max bitrate?
(No one should manually reduce resolution or bitrate on go because of hot weather, right?)

BTW, default option for Viofo DVRs is not a max bitrate and waste majority of DVR users are average consumers, not power users like on this forum, and it is not so easy to navigate thru all this options for them, most end up with default settings i.e. not using DVR for max performance.

In my opinion max performance and reliability should be in focus, and ease of use for average consumer.

Some people are using low bitrate and low resolution to obtain more videos recorded on the card.

I am aware that 60FPS and HDR do not mix.

However,
With A119 Mini 2, and original A119 Mini, I am using Auto HDR at 30FPS for the nighttime and 60FPS for the daytime recording with no HDR, and it works just fine.

But with A229 Plus, even so I have selected 60FPS for daytime, it does not work as for Mini2.
With Auto HDR OFF for the daytime, recording defaults to 30FPS no HDR.
With the latest firmware we posted here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/v1-3-beta-firmware-for-a229pro-plus.51177/
the camera can switch back to 60fps when the HDR is off, you can update it to test.

Some people are using low bitrate and low resolution to obtain more videos recorded on the card.
That is exactly the point – “some people” how many out of 100? may be 1 or 2 or actually less?
Why buy expensive 2K camera and use it as cheap 1080?
To obtain more (low quality) videos on single card - belongs to past, probably when 16GB or 32GB card was considered normal
What if “some people” want 720P or why stop there let’s add 420P.
I mentioned 1080 as an example, if it needs to stay fine, what about others not used in A229 Plus?

I am pretty sure @Mtz you know it does not make sense.

Tell me if this makes any sense:
Why not consistent?
1716257457019.png

EDIT: @viofo notified that 60FPS is fixed in beta FW
Also, did you notice that 21:9 resolution was present in Mini 2 from day one.

Last edited:
Because of too many options, in some cases ridicules options, almost never used options, unnecessary complicate the product.
It affects negatively on reliability, probably boot time, who knows what else, takes focus of not so big VIOFO staff from the really essential issues.
Take a look on how many resolutions are supported for Mini2 for example, does anyone (power users) on this forum use Full HD instead of native 2K?
Why reduced bitrates are option, is anyone on this forum (power users) using lower than max bitrate?
(No one should manually reduce resolution or bitrate on go because of hot weather, right?)

BTW, default option for Viofo DVRs is not a max bitrate and waste majority of DVR users are average consumers, not power users like on this forum, and it is not so easy to navigate thru all this options for them, most end up with default settings i.e. not using DVR for max performance.

In my opinion max performance and reliability should be in focus, and ease of use for average consumer.
I will write to you again:
If you don't need some features, don't use them.
I don’t use 60fps in any model, but I don’t demand that this setting be removed from the menu.
Also, did you notice that 21:9 resolution was present in Mini 2 from day one.
Have you noticed that Mini 2 is the A119 series?
The first time 21:9 resolution appeared in the A119 v3 model, after lengthy requests from users,
and since then it has remained in all A119 models: v3, Mini and Mini 2.
Also, HDR first appeared in the A119v3 model, and then, at the request of users, the Auto HDR function was added, and only after that these functions were extended to other Viofo models.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
I will write to you again:
If you don't need some features, don't use them.
I don’t use 60fps in any model, but I don’t demand that this setting be removed from the menu.

Have you noticed that Mini 2 is the A119 series?
The first time 21:9 resolution appeared in the A119 v3 model, after lengthy requests from users,
and since then it has remained in all A119 models: v3, Mini and Mini 2.
Also, HDR first appeared in the A119v3 model, and then, at the request of users, the Auto HDR function was added, and only after that these functions were extended to other Viofo models.
Tanks for writing. It is good to hear a different opinions.
Just to be clear, nowhere in my posts do I demand anything from anyone.
I am simply expressing my opinion on how to make dashcam more user friendly and at the same time perhaps more reliable.
Minimizing the possibility for average users to make a not-so-good choice, perhaps like me, choosing 60fps that you don’t think is worth using, and that maybe the case, and I don’t necessarily disagree.

This is no different from as you mentioned, the original A119 was improved over the years “after lengthy requests from users”.
You once said, why ask it to make coffee?, I think there is a lot of “coffee” in these options. :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
“Many options are completely unnecessary and need to be removed” - is my opinion, and I showed why with an example.
Should I type “In my opinion” after every sentence? Isn’t that clear since this is a forum?
I am not in a position to “demand” from manufacturer what to do or not do, they can read my post and ignore it or take it as a reasonable suggestion.

“Where is my 2K 60fps?” - is just one out of three questions, and actually a rhetorical questions in context, and not a demand.
BTW, in this case, I actually could demand it, not via forum post, which I didn’t, but through proper product support process, because it was advertised and I got this DVR in part for 2K 60fps, yet I patiently waited for months, and happy it has been finally fixed.

Now we are all waiting for HDR to be fixed, the most important issue in my opinion, and I hope Viofo will prioritize fixing the existing issues.

Back