A229 Pro - Inconsistent color

SndChsr

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Howdy folks,

It seems that my A229 Pro (dual), professionally installed and hardwired for parking recording has inconsistent colors. The hue switches from green to purple and back. It's like the varying lighting conditions (sunny vs shady) keep throwing the color temperature off.
Is anybody else experiencing this? Is this a known issue?

Thanks in advance!

I have the exact same symptoms.
Let's wait for Viofo to update and hope the white balance issue is resolved.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Is this a known issue?
I have the same problem in A229 Pro 1-CH.
To get the best help please include a screenshot from your cellphone showing;
1.) The current installed firmware for both the front & rear camera.
2.) The version of the APP
See attached screenshots for example.
Current official firmware is here;
https://viofo.com/content/99-viofo-a229-pro-dash-cam-support/#Firmware

If you made any changes in camera settings please include those, (EV, Bitrate, etc.)
Please include test footage from both front & rear cameras showing the malfunction uploaded to YouTube for easy viewing, along with the raw files uploaded to Google Drive folder, or similar.
Once you get all that done tag @viofo & @VIOFO-Support and @Nigel in your post.
-Chuck

Attachments

• Current Firmware .png
    Current Firmware .png
    381.9 KB · Views: 11
  • iPhone SE 2020 .png
    iPhone SE 2020 .png
    51.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Firmware .png
    Firmware .png
    124.4 KB · Views: 11
To get the best help please include a screenshot from your cellphone showing;
1.) The current installed firmware for both the front & rear camera.
2.) The version of the APP
See attached screenshots for example.
Current official firmware is here;
https://viofo.com/content/99-viofo-a229-pro-dash-cam-support/#Firmware

If you made any changes in camera settings please include those, (EV, Bitrate, etc.)
Please include test footage from both front & rear cameras showing the malfunction uploaded to YouTube for easy viewing, along with the raw files uploaded to Google Drive folder, or similar.
Once you get all that done tag @viofo & @VIOFO-Support and @Nigel in your post.
-Chuck
Thanks so much Chuck. I'll get to it this weekend. Your help is much appreciated!

Sorry @Nigel,
I forgot change it.
Now it's public
Yes, we can see it now.

Viofo must be able to improve that, or at least slow down the changes to the white balance. Having it change white balance rapidly is annoying when it is not stable, but I'm not sure why it is unstable, seems like they are only analysing a small area of the image for the white balance adjustment. Small changes to white balance should happen slowly, large changes should happen faster, but not this fast.

Last edited:
1) A229 Pro 1-CH Current firmware - Version: V1.3_240612
2) I don't use APP
3) VIOFO A229 Pro 1-CH White Balans Test (camera settings: bitrate maximum, EV -0.6)

@SndChsr, @donburi
Does it look similar to you ?
My A229Pro also changes white balance violently like this.

One thing I was wondering, the video looks like 60FPS, but the A229Pro should only have a 30FPS mode, how is it shooting at 60FPS?
Or am I just mistaken?

@taaatooo

Last edited:
It's fake 60 fps, but it looks like the real thing at first viewing (I think I achieved the intended effect :cool:).
On my youtube channel I test economic driving and share my results with other people.
No one would watch a 1h 30 min video, so I shorten them to 20 min. The original video shot in 30 fps accelerated by about 350% is very tiring to the eye, so when I post-process the video I do a software conversion to 60 fps and this in acceleration is much more eye friendly

@donburi

I see, that's what you meant.
Viofo stubbornly did not add 60FPS mode to A229Pro, so I thought they finally did lol.

Unusual color shifts and white balance issues have been reported periodically with different brands and models of cameras on DCT going all the way back to 2013. Brands have included Street Guardian, Mobius, Finevue and a few others I can't recall.

Basically, the camera's white balance algorithm suddenly overreacts to some sort of visual stimulus within the scene and then overshoots the white balance target. In most cases the stimulus is an object or more with a significant amount of one RGB color or another within the FOV that triggers a color shift towards the opposite color in the RGB model. So a RED object may trigger a shift to CYAN, which is opposite RED in the RGB model. A YELLOW scene or object may trigger an overreaction in white balance to the BLUE end of the spectrum which is opposite YELLOW on the color chart. Shifts to the opposite color are not always the case. Occasionally, an object without any noticeable specific RGB color enters the view and triggers a color shift, like the windshield wiper in my first video example below but I find this to be rare.

The color shifts seen in this A229 Pro video are unusual because whatever is triggering them is very subtle. I am wondering how common this issue is with the A229? Maybe this one is just a bad sensor or something.

As I recall, this can be a tricky problem to fix if it is a firmware issue but camera developers eventually do resolve the problem. Of any manufacturer, I'm sure @viofo will sort this out sooner than later.

Here are a few examples of extreme sudden color shifts that I've personally experienced in the past with Mobius cameras.

Notice in this next video how the color shift to CYAN occurs just after a RED car, RED buildings and RED stop sign (and also the red shutters on the building across the road) enter the scene and then, after I turn the corner when the RED buildings are no longer in the image and the Cyan color cast disappears and the color balance returns to normal.

CYAN is directly opposite RED in the RGB color wheel chart.

(BTW, this makes me suspicious of the hood of the intensely RED car in the A229 video posted by @taaatooo above, as it may be influencing how the camera is reacting to the rest of the colors in the scene at any given moment.)

Here we see BLUE shift to RED (ish). BLUE can be considered "normal" here because of the time of day and year at this latitude (winter dusk in Northern New England) as well as the weather conditions.

Notice that when all three RGB colors (RED-GREEN-BLUE) are combined you get WHITE in the middle of the chart.
RGB is an additive color model. If you add the proper amounts of RED, GREEN & BLUE along with the proper amounts of the secondary color combinations of CYAN, MAGENTA & YELLOW you achieve what is commonly referred to as WHITE BALANCE. All digital cameras and computer screens use the RGB color model.

RGB2.jpg

Here are two side by side screen shots from a video shot in Sweden using a Street Guardian SG9665GC.
The DCT member no longer visits the forum and his videos are now labeled as private so, unfortunately I am unable to post them.
Just after he is leaving a tunnel bathed in YELLOW incandescent lighting, the scene shifts dramatically to BLUE.
Notice that BLUE is directly opposite from the secondary color YELLOW in the RGB color wheel chart.

This is evidence that the camera is overshooting the mark when it tries to adjust the white balance to compensate for all the YELLOW in the first image.

Every camera that has a color shift issue usually has one particular color issue such has RED to CYAN or YELLOW to BLUE or some other RGB color interaction with an opposite color within the color model such as GREEN to MAGENTA.
So in most cases, when the camera sees an abundance of a primary RGB color in the real world it tends to overshoot in the video towards a secondary RGB color bias within the model. In some cases, as with this shift from YELLOW to BLUE, the secondary color YELLOW is triggering a shift to the Primary RGB color BLUE.

yellow-blue.jpg

Last edited:
Back