A229 Pro is not working on usb-c cables?

DaveX81

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I was wondering after i got my new A229 Pro. The camera was just working on usb-a to usb-c cable. All usb-c to usb-c cables on different sources were not working…
Is it kind of fake usb-c? Why its not working on a real usb-c cable?

What length and wire gauge were the cables?

Is it kind of fake usb-c? Why its not working on a real usb-c cable?
It is lacking the correct power management signals, so many USB-C power supplies decide not to provide sufficient power. Not sure it counts as fake, but it is not a full implementation. If you connect to your USB-C supply via USB C to A + A to C adaptors, so that you have C both ends and a C cable that otherwise wouldn't work, then it will start working.

One thing I noticed with usb c chargers is that they can't charge low power devices, my 25w Samsung usb c charger can't charge my earbuds so I have to use a USB a charger. Viofo is probably pulling a voltage/amp that usb c chargers don't support.
Now my car does have usb c ports but they only support upto 15w so they're probably using quick charge 2.0 protocol rather than usb pd and the A229 does work on it.
In the end there's nothing universal about usb :)

Last edited:
It is lacking the correct power management signals, so many USB-C power supplies decide not to provide sufficient power. Not sure it counts as fake, but it is not a full implementation. If you connect to your USB-C supply via USB C to A + A to C adaptors, so that you have C both ends and a C cable that otherwise wouldn't work, then it will start working.
You correctly wrote about power control signals.
Therefore, you need an adapter from USB-C to USB-A and a normal USB-A to USB-C cable and then everything will work.
This question began to arise with the release of Viofo A139 and the advent of the USB-C power input.

Yes, it is only USB-C PD chargers that decide not to charge the dashcam, other chargers work fine.
And it is not just Viofo dashcams, other dashcams with USB-C power inputs also don't work.
And Karagandinez is correct, using the standard Viofo USB-A to USB-C cable, plugged into a USB-C PD charger via an adaptor will work perfectly.

One thing I noticed with usb c chargers is that they can't charge low power devices, my 25w Samsung usb c charger can't charge my earbuds so I have to use a USB a charger. Viofo is probably pulling a voltage/amp that usb c chargers don't support.
Now my car does have usb c ports but they only support upto 15w so they're probably using quick charge 2.0 protocol rather than usb pd and the A229 does work on it.
In the end there's nothing universal about usb :)
Samsung lock their own chargers down so wouldn't trust them haha

Tried different USB-C Anker and offical Apple charger who can even charge my 10$ fly bat via usb-c. Was just a bit confused why they were working on every other device but the dashcam…
Had the same problem with my A139 before and thought already its defect until i tried the usb-a to usb-c adapter. I‘m not happy about that to be honest… can‘t even use my usb-c output of my computer nor IPad Pro to power the A239.

The A229 Duo is the same way. I have to use a USB-A to USB-C adapter on my high speed USB-C cable to get anything to work. I like to transfer files from the cam to computer on USB and have to use the A port. Nothing on USB-C. No power, no data.

Tried different USB-C Anker and offical Apple charger who can even charge my 10$ fly bat via usb-c. Was just a bit confused why they were working on every other device but the dashcam…
Had the same problem with my A139 before and thought already its defect until i tried the usb-a to usb-c adapter. I‘m not happy about that to be honest… can‘t even use my usb-c output of my computer nor IPad Pro to power the A239.
The USB-C to USB-C cable can work with the A229 Pro, I showed how the dashcam connects with the iPhone 15 before.
But not all USB-C cables are compatible with the A229 Pro, some cables that support PD protocol don't work with the A229 Pro.

We also optimized this in the latest version to save power while connecting with the phone and computer in file reading mode.

I tested Baseus, toocki and one from another company and none of them works with A229 Pro. What cable shoud I buy to make it work with my dash cam?
IMG20240217181326.jpg

There is no oryginal charging USB-C cable on Viofo website.

@forcefed @Panzer Platform this cable is USB-A - USB-C. It works, that's obvious, so there is no point with discussing that. The entire topic in this thread is the cable, which has USB-C on the both sides. Most of the cars today have only USB-C ports, so you need an adapter and it would be more convenient to just find USB-C - USB-C cord, which works with A229 Pro.

@forcefed @Panzer Platform this cable is USB-A - USB-C. It works, that's obvious, so there is no point with discussing that. The entire topic in this thread is the cable, which has USB-C on the both sides. Most of the cars today have only USB-C ports, so you need an adapter and it would be more convenient to just find USB-C - USB-C cord, which works with A229 Pro.
You correctly wrote about power control signals.
Therefore, you need an adapter from USB-C to USB-A and a normal USB-A to USB-C cable and then everything will work.
This question began to arise with the release of Viofo A139 and the advent of the USB-C power input.

Yes, I have this setup now - oryginal Viofo USB-A - USB-C, cable, which came with the camera and the adapter connected to USB-C port in the car. But it would be much more convenient, to not have this adapter, which sticks out from the USB-C ports for a few centimeters.

1708198253382.png

Yes, I have this setup now - oryginal Viofo USB-A - USB-C, cable, which came with the camera and the adapter connected to USB-C port in the car. But it would be much more convenient, to not have this adapter, which sticks out from the USB-C ports for a few centimeters.
Without this adapter, no Viofo model will work with a USB-C to USB-C cable.
This is a problem with smart charging in the car, not a problem with the dash cam.

The USB-C to USB-A adapter has an additional resistance (resistor) between the CC and GND (ground) contacts,
which activates the charger from the Type-C port.
There is no additional resistance in the USB-C to USB-C cable and the charger does not activate.

I wrote post about that also on Facebook groups about Viofo and one guy from this company contacted me on Facebook Messenger. He asked about the length (they agreed to 3.5-4 meters maximum). A few weeks after I got a message, that the cable is ready, I paid 15$ on Viofo web store and got a delivery in 4-5 calendar days (including weekend, not working days, so amazing time from China to Poland). What can I say - Viofo customer support was absolutely amazing in my case.

Back