A229 Pro Not Always Powering On When Starting The Car

DashCamOnBoard

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the unit hooked to the cigarette plug for power. Normally when you start the car it powers on, no issue. But every so often, maybe once every 15-20th time, it doesn't power on. I have to pull out the power cord and plug it back in to make it power on. Why would this happen and how do i troubleshoot it?

What memory card are you using?

Hmm I don't know

There might be a momentary loss of power to the power port that's being used to power the A229 Pro when starting the engine. That may occurring at a point in the A229 Pro power up process that may cause the failure to fully power up. You might try using the "Boot Delay" setting of "5 Seconds" which causes the A229 Pro to delay the power up process until it has received power for at least 5 seconds.

I have the unit hooked to the cigarette plug for power. Normally when you start the car it powers on, no issue. But every so often, maybe once every 15-20th time, it doesn't power on. I have to pull out the power cord and plug it back in to make it power on. Why would this happen and how do i troubleshoot it?

I've encountered this issue occasionally over the years. One simple thing you can try that will often fix the problem is to carefully check to make sure that all of your electrical connections are clean and secure. Check that the cable is plugged into the camera securely. Also inspect the 12V cigarette lighter socket for dirt or corrosion.

I also highly recommend that you try a quality contact cleaner on all power connections including your 12V plug and socket. The best one is Deoxit D5 from CAIG. It is expensive but well worth the money. It not only flushes, cleans and seals electrical contacts but it enhances electrical connections. You'll find CAIG products on Amazon and at any good electronics supplier.

Deoxit D5 has saved the day for me in more situations than I can count and I always keep some handy. When I've had the same problem you are experiencing over the last 14 years of dash cam ownership, it usually fixes the issue permanently, or if not, lets me know there is some more serious issue with a camera that needs to be looked into further, like one time when I eventually discovered a faulty cable plug that came from the factory that way.

If all this fails you "might" have a more serious problem with the camera itself, such as a bad resistor or other component but this will help you rule out more mundane power connection problems.

deoxit.jpg

Please set the boot delay to 5 or 10 seconds on the camera to confirm if it will help.

Earlier, I said it was once every 15-20th time, but it's honestly more often than that. I went ahead and turned on the 5 second delay and I don't think it's working. THis time I took a video showing it not powering on when starting the vehicle:

Why would this happen and how do i troubleshoot it?
1.) Do you use parking mode?
2.) Do you by any chance have a hardwire kit? (for troubleshooting)
Earlier, I said it was once every 15-20th time, but it's honestly more often than that. I went ahead and turned on the 5 second delay and I don't think it's working. THis time I took a video showing it not powering on when starting the vehicle:

Excellent troubleshooting video.

Is power constantly supplied to your cigarette lighter or does it disappear when you turn off the ignition?

I'm not using parking mode (with a cigarette plug, you can't). Power is supplied to the cigarette plug after the vehicle is shut off. But for how long depends on what the battery monitoring system thinks of the battery's health / remaining life.

I'm not using parking mode (with a cigarette plug, you can't).
Why not?
If power is constantly supplied to the cigarette lighter, then it is possible.
You just can’t turn off the GPS during parking mode, otherwise the DVR will not be able to exit parking mode.
Power is supplied to the cigarette plug after the vehicle is shut off. But for how long depends on what the battery monitoring system thinks of the battery's health / remaining life.
Does your DVR continue to work after turning off the ignition?

Sorry for my lack of understanding, perhaps the translator did not translate correctly... :unsure:

^ Yes, I think we have a translation issue.

I actually prefer not using parking mode because of where I have the 3rd camera mounted facing the driver's side window. This is in case I get stopped by a cop, I want it to record regular video with audio, even if I shut off the ignition.

I actually prefer not using parking mode because of where I have the 3rd camera mounted facing the driver's side window. This is in case I get stopped by a cop, I want it to record regular video with audio, even if I shut off the ignition.
In parking mode: “Low bitrate recording” records all cameras with sound, unless you turn anything off in the settings.

Does your DVR work after parking in the evening or do you turn it off with a button?

If you turn it off with a button, then you need to turn it on with a button.

Power is supplied to the cigarette plug after the vehicle is shut off. But for how long depends on what the battery monitoring system thinks of the battery's health / remaining life.
Well now that I know your specific use case it changes my original troubleshooting recommendation, and I came up with a different solution.
1.) Dash cam must start recording with engine start up.
2.) Dash cam must continue to record in NORMAL RECORDING MODE, (not parking mode) when the engine is shut off long enough to capture a potential traffic stop.
I’m positive you will not take my silly recommendation but, I’m hoping it will spark your imagination for a solution that will work for your specific application.

Obviously your vehicle has the majority of blame for this malfunction because the vehicle’s computer controls the cigarette lighter / power port.
My “easy plug & play” suggestion is to isolate the dash cam from your vehicle’s electrical system with a cheap $20 (Li-ion / Li-polymer) Power Bank that has pass through charging.
These are the type of Power Banks that should never be left operating in a hot parked car because they may explode, and burn your car down.
If you want to eliminate the possibility of explosion, and car fire you will need to step up to LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate).
1.) Connect original included Viofo USB power cable to the Power Bank to operate the dash cam.
2.) Connect the power bank to the cigarette lighter / power port of your vehicle.

When you start the vehicle’s engine the power bank will;
1.) Turn on, and begin charging
2.) Turn on dash cam to begin recording
When you shut the vehicle’s engine off, the dash cam will continue to operate in NORMAL RECORDING MODE until the power bank is dead.
For reference a 20,000mAh power bank is 74Wh.
74Wh ÷ 8 Watts (A229 Pro 3-CH) = 9.25 Hours of operation.

I have another option but it is not “easy plug & play”.
It involves installing a relay, modifying your cigarette lighter / power point electrical wiring, and adding a push button switch to your dash.
What do you think?
-Chuck

Well now that I know your specific use case it changes my original troubleshooting recommendation, and I came up with a different solution.
1.) Dash cam must start recording with engine start up.
2.) Dash cam must continue to record in NORMAL RECORDING MODE, (not parking mode) when the engine is shut off long enough to capture a potential traffic stop.
I’m positive you will not take my silly recommendation but, I’m hoping it will spark your imagination for a solution that will work for your specific application.

Obviously your vehicle has the majority of blame for this malfunction because the vehicle’s computer controls the cigarette lighter / power port.
My “easy plug & play” suggestion is to isolate the dash cam from your vehicle’s electrical system with a cheap $20 (Li-ion / Li-polymer) Power Bank that has pass through charging.
These are the type of Power Banks that should never be left operating in a hot parked car because they may explode, and burn your car down.
If you want to eliminate the possibility of explosion, and car fire you will need to step up to LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate).
1.) Connect original included Viofo USB power cable to the Power Bank to operate the dash cam.
2.) Connect the power bank to the cigarette lighter / power port of your vehicle.

When you start the vehicle’s engine the power bank will;
1.) Turn on, and begin charging
2.) Turn on dash cam to begin recording
When you shut the vehicle’s engine off, the dash cam will continue to operate in NORMAL RECORDING MODE until the power bank is dead.
For reference a 20,000mAh power bank is 74Wh.
74Wh ÷ 8 Watts (A229 Pro 3-CH) = 9.25 Hours of operation.

I have another option but it is not “easy plug & play”.
It involves installing a relay, modifying your cigarette lighter / power point electrical wiring, and adding a push button switch to your dash.
What do you think?
-Chuck
Why all this, why not just connect via HK4?
Well, the simplest solution:
In the evening, when parking the car for a long time, remove the power adapter from the cigarette lighter, and put it back in the morning.

Last edited:
Now there's an idea. I could very well test this with a number of other USB-powered devices. I do have a battery bank, but it's real hot in FL (U. S.) right now.

Why all this, why not just connect via NK4?
Because OP does not want to use the Hardwire Kit.
He only wants to use the “easy plug & play” CLA charger.
OP, please correct me if I’m wrong.
At first I was going to suggest installing the Hardwire Kit with “switched only” operation, (yellow + red wires to ACC).
But OP wants the dash cam to continue to operate in NORMAL RECORDING MODE after he shuts the engine off to capture a potential traffic stop.
Does this make sense?
Now there's an idea. I could very well test this with a number of other USB-powered devices. I do have a battery bank, but it's real hot in FL (U. S.) right now.
I proposed this option is because the power bank will only be in operation while you’ll be sitting in the driver seat.
When you park the vehicle, remove the power bank, and take it with you, (inside the house).
Does this make sense?

Because OP does not want to use the Hardwire Kit.
He only wants to use the “easy plug & play” CLA charger.
OP, please correct me if I’m wrong.
At first I was going to suggest installing the Hardwire Kit with “switched only” operation, (yellow + red wires to ACC).
But OP wants the dash cam to continue to operate in NORMAL RECORDING MODE after he shuts the engine off to capture a potential traffic stop.
Does this make sense?

I proposed this option is because the power bank will only be in operation while you’ll be sitting in the driver seat.
When you park the vehicle, remove the power bank, and take it with you, (inside the house).
Does this make sense?
Yep, you got it. Makes sense and will definitely try the power bank idea.

In the evening, when parking the car for a long time, remove the power adapter from the cigarette lighter, and put it back in the morning.
He has constant power in his cigarette lighter.
Both my version and yours will work the same.
Only in my case there is no need to carry around with a power bank.
I have VS1 connected to the rear window like this.

Last edited:
Back