Accurate GPS Dashcam

alangnslvs

Reaction score
Country
India
I'm looking for a Dashcam which has really accurate GPS data. Video needs to be 1080p with 30 fps with standard FOV. I don't need any other fancy features. Good Video Quality and Accurate GPS data are the only requirements. Could anyone suggest a model for my requirement ?

Given the digital nature of GPS, unless something is faulty all the cams with this feature will be equally accurate for location and speed once the GPS obtains a lock on the satellites. There are some differences in how quickly a cam achieves a 'cold lock' and some small differences in sensitivity causing that. The biggest difference among these probably lies in "lag", or the difference between actual location at speed versus the one imprinted into the video. This is due to the amount of time it takes for the processor to work with the data and I've seen reports of it being as much as 300M off. Occasionally there may be something 'buggy' in the FW causing huge anomalies in location or dropped segments of a trip.

It's not something I've studied closely but if you watch enough videos from different cams you can probably find which ones seem to have issues like these. I do know that certain cams have had "cold lock" problems reported here on these forums, but overall most will work equally well within about one minute of you starting the cam and usually sooner.

Phil

Thank you Phil. I need to purchase a Dashcam for a Road Project I'm working on, and it depends a lot on the GPS accuracy. The time taken to achieve the 'cold lock' and the 'lag' issues you had mentioned may drastically affect the project results. While browsing through the available dashcams, there are a lot of info in the camera modules and sensors used, but very little info on the GPS accuracy. So unless it is tried and tested by someone, I'm not sure how I can get this detail online. Was hoping someone could mention few Dashcam models which concentrates on GPS accuracy as well, rather than only using it for some default features.

I had purchased a couple of DOD cams and 70mai pro. I run a code which extracts the GPS metadata embedded in the video to a txt file, while i use for my project. All of the cams are missing GPS data in few frames and few video clips have coordinates which are off by 100m or so. I know dashcams are not meant for this reason, but I'm looking to find Dashcam models which are has great GPS accuracy. As good as it gets in Dashcams.

I've only had a few cams with GPS and I've not done more than basic testing with most of them. One cam I had issues with which were eventually resolved but that cam has other problems so I can't recommend it for your needs. I'm currently post-beta tasting thye A139 and so far it seems to do GPS well at the basic level which I've looked at. Probably you should read THIS LINK to an in-depth explanation by Jokiin who manufactures the Street Guardian cams to better understand what they are and how they work in dashcams. Other than how the data is embedded and what file format is used for recording they are all pretty much the same and are quite unlike your usual stand-alone SatNav or GPS devices.

As far a data extraction there are some posts and threads on various cams and processor types, and some of those who are member here that have developed vid-players for dashcams might be able to help you with that- such things are well beyond my understanding but I can point you to these people if need be.

I know for sure that in dashcams the GPS functioning is rather cheap and crude, meant more as an added 'bonus' feature rather than a primary function. And they're all pretty similar in hardware so will give about the same results if the FW has been done decently. In most of the better cams we tend to focus on in all these forums there seems to be little difference in the GPS functionality beyond time to 'cold lock', and most work well at their basic level. I can't say much more unless it's aimed at a specific cam, and then what I can say will be more about what I remember reading from other members- which you can find on your own by asking in the cam-specific forums.

Phil

I be more inclined to use a real GPS tracking system like MOTOsafety and add on the dash cam for recording the surroundings.

Back