Action camera in car - options? SJ5000+ or?

pix530

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have 2 cars, and looking to install new dash cams in both.

For 1 car I ordered 0805, should be enough, even I wonder if I should connect to 12V fuse instead of socket (free it for phone charger).
Also my 12V connector always on, so little concerned if camera will not drain my battery...
If you can advise please.

However for 2nd camera (car) I stuck. Is there anything better/alternative to SJ5000+?
I really want action camera to shoot sports (skis, hockey, bike rides) but as this will happen time to time, I could use action camera to be car camera...
Look at SJ5000+, some people complain a lot, so should I buy it or there are any alternatives under $200 price range?

Thank you Sir.

I forgot to mention, low light performance is not that important (unless ice time or skis at night).
2nd car I drive exclusively during the day.

But if this camera GitUp Git1 is better than SJ5000+ I will look to buy it.

Sorry to add q about Git1 and action cameras in general - what is the easiest way to mount to car?
Suction cup may not work as I want it as high as possible so closer to rear view mirror.

Can I mount to mirror somehow?

But if this camera GitUp Git1 is better than SJ5000+ I will look to buy it.

There is also the GitUp Git2 which is higher spec again

The way I see the (non GoPro) sport cam market currently is there are a bunch of no name products using similar spec but they're pretty much a case of 'get what you get and don't get upset' there's very little support or development and firmware updates are pretty much non existent

The only two I see that don't currently fall in this category are GitUp and SJCAM

SJCAM keep releasing new models, then changing them, cancelled, not cancelled, changed again, very hard to keep track of, what you buy today might not exist tomorrow, I think a couple of their models are ok but a couple have issues that are still being sorted, will they get sorted????

GitUp though have two models at this time, the development is ongoing and they're doing a good job of it, either of these models would be my pick

As far as mounts go not sure about your mirror they can use a lot of the GoPro stuff so you might find something there that suits your particular need

If you are going for a Git1 or Git2 then I recommend getting the GitUp dashcam frame: http://www.gitup.com/en/mounts/38-dashcam-frame-for-gitup.html

You still need a mount to screw it onto, but you have a choice of suction or stick mounts, the suction is good if you want to use it in hire cars etc but for your own car a sticky mount is better. The Git1 is probably the better dashcam because it has a more sensitive sensor and so suffers less motion blur as well as having better night time images. The Git2 does work as a dashcam though, and takes far better photographs.

Back