AGPTek GS5000 really grainy?

clawlan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got bought an AGPTek GS5000 from newegg. After trying it out today on 720p, I noticed the picture quality, in daylight, it very grainy, to the point that you cant even read a license plate. I have see youtubes of other owners and their video is crystal clear. Any thoughts?

Make a video with resolution of 1920x1080P and put sample on youtube and link it here.

Yea pretty sure this is a knockoff. After discovering the FAQ here (http://dashcamtalk.com/gs1000), there are some definite issues. The menu look different and less less complete, the manual is misprinted and pages are all misnumbered, and the firmware version shows 201201029 which is not even in the same format at the real firmwares. Also, when connecting to my pc via USB, it does not recognize it. Also tried the firmware extraction file and that does not work either.

Last edited by a moderator:
GS5000 is usually new blue menu, and i have the experience that you can not backup that firmware with given instruction ( it is unknown how)
GS5000 is not the best but it should be close to good.
This is sample of my late gs5000, if yours is very much worse that this i think you should try to get your money back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59SKUVspPNQ

Mine has an orange menu, motorcycle logo welcome screen. I'll making video now.

I think this is what you can expect from gs5000, it has never been very good. Unlike we expect in the western world product numbers like gs1000, gs2000, gs5000 and so on don't go up in line to quality or device generation, they are basicly same product in different housing, and sadly gs5000 is the ugly cousin of gs1000.

I don't think is grainy maybe not so clear and seems to be because of poor lens quality.
The colors are oversaturated and I think this will make things worst during night recording.

I think Sabe is right, this is the GS5000 quality.

enjoy,
Mtz

thanks for the responses. Still, the menu on the thing is weird as is the firmware version. The quality is clearly worse than other youtubes I have seen of the gs5000, not to mention that electronic beeping noise.

What camera do you guys reccommend?

Hi clawlan,

Seems about right for GS5000 quality. Not sure about the beeping noise. If you like the form factor, get a GS1000 but realize the night quality will be average at best. Otherwise consider a Korean camera.

DashCamMan said:
Hi clawlan,

Seems about right for GS5000 quality. Not sure about the beeping noise. If you like the form factor, get a GS1000 but realize the night quality will be average at best. Otherwise consider a Korean camera.

A Korean camera? Which models are those?

Here's something to consider, this is like open question.
I don't have korean expensive 200-300$ camera, i have only a good quality GS1000 for about 120$
Ok, now if i compare these two camera types i wonder what is so good about these korean cameras, gs1000 has good sharp image, night view is adequate if you live in the city.
So the question is, if you pay 150$ more of a korean camera, what will you get more with this money, and is it worth it?
Because the fact is, you can have two gs1000 with the same money.

The 3 most popular Korean cameras are the Itronics ITB-100HD, FineVu CR500-HD and the BlackVue DR500GW-HD. More expensive then the GS1000 but better night quality. You can still find the Itronics for under $200 so I would probably narrow it down to the GS1000 and the ITB-100HD.

After watching this many times it is clear that image is sharper, and this camera goes a little beyond gs1000 night vision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyJjQ6pnQNQ

But still, guaranteed good gs1000 is 120$ from dx and ITB-100HD from ebay is 239$.
I would say that if night view is very important then choice is ITB.
For daytime use i would rather buy two gs cameras ;)

Back