All around car protection...

jomanjee

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
I am interested in a dashcam (that preferably records 4k) to run while am driving an especially in parking mode, it should have all around car protection, front, back and through the side windows while parked...

I think the Blackvue 750 model is best suited for my needs but it just cant record 4k which is a huge disappointment to me :(

my other criteria is to get at least 24 Hours running time while in parking mode, I heard of the B-124E but unfortunately it can't handle 24 Hours recording + its quite costly, any suggestions to monitor all around the car seamlessly ?...

Finally, something has poped into my mind to use a powerbank like:
Car Jump Starter, Yaber 1000A Peak 20800 mAh

to connect the cams setup instead of the B-124 since it got plenty of power, is that a good idea ?...

Thanks,

A setup like and how good you want it to be is going to boil down to how much money you want to spend.. If you want true 4K, it's going to cost you. Full time parking mode? It's going to require power, memory, and it only goes on from there (cloud/internet costs, etc.). Also, do you park in dimly lit areas? Then the DR900S may not be the best option for you as the 750 has better low light capabilities.

My solution in my truck was this- DR900S-2CH with the 4K camera up front, 1080P camera in the back. This is powered by the B124. For my side windows I use 2 separate 2K units, power by USB. When I'm driving I can run them off of my USB adapter plug, but when I park long term I have 2 USB Power bricks that I rotate out to run the cams while the car is off. You can also run a secondary front camera (which I do) that has better low-light capabilities in the front off of USB.. I know this isn't for everyone, but I like running 2 cameras in front anyways for a fail-safe in case an event happens and one of my cameras happens to be down without my knowledge.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with running your DR750 or DR900 off of a car jump starter that has a 12V power plug, you just have to manually take it out and charge it or figure out a way to charge it in your car while the car is running and make sure it's not going to drain your battery when the car is off (if you try to charge it there). I use one of these jumpers with the 12V plug in my secondary/weekend car and it works great, but I don't drive the car every day so putting it in and out is not a big deal.. if I had to do it daily, I would imagine it would get old. Perhaps someone else can provide feedback on using one daily. But with the power you get (almost 3.5X) over the B124 for the price, it can't be beat IMO.

Now if you have the $, you can run two DR750S-2CH's, the main units in your front and rear windows, and the 2nd channels in your side windows, and just buy 2 of the jumper power banks. Or one DR900S-CH to have 4K up front only.

Not sure if this helps, but it's worked for me so far.

A setup like and how good you want it to be is going to boil down to how much money you want to spend.. If you want true 4K, it's going to cost you. Full time parking mode? It's going to require power, memory, and it only goes on from there (cloud/internet costs, etc.). Also, do you park in dimly lit areas? Then the DR900S may not be the best option for you as the 750 has better low light capabilities.

My solution in my truck was this- DR900S-2CH with the 4K camera up front, 1080P camera in the back. This is powered by the B124. For my side windows I use 2 separate 2K units, power by USB. When I'm driving I can run them off of my USB adapter plug, but when I park long term I have 2 USB Power bricks that I rotate out to run the cams while the car is off. You can also run a secondary front camera (which I do) that has better low-light capabilities in the front off of USB.. I know this isn't for everyone, but I like running 2 cameras in front anyways for a fail-safe in case an event happens and one of my cameras happens to be down without my knowledge.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with running your DR750 or DR900 off of a car jump starter that has a 12V power plug, you just have to manually take it out and charge it or figure out a way to charge it in your car while the car is running and make sure it's not going to drain your battery when the car is off (if you try to charge it there). I use one of these jumpers with the 12V plug in my secondary/weekend car and it works great, but I don't drive the car every day so putting it in and out is not a big deal.. if I had to do it daily, I would imagine it would get old. Perhaps someone else can provide feedback on using one daily. But with the power you get (almost 3.5X) over the B124 for the price, it can't be beat IMO.

Now if you have the $, you can run two DR750S-2CH's, the main units in your front and rear windows, and the 2nd channels in your side windows, and just buy 2 of the jumper power banks. Or one DR900S-CH to have 4K up front only.

Not sure if this helps, but it's worked for me so far.

Thanks for response, TBH money is not an object here, but am really confused coz ur saying the dr750 is better in low light than the dr900, i really wanted the 4k version coz it got better resolution as that can be crucial in certain situations...

I think i will allow the car jump starter to charge itself from cigarette lighter port while am driving and in turn it will power up both cameras, it should be simple, no ?!?...

the other issue is where am going to mount the other two cams for the sides and will all 4 cams be able to draw power simultaneously from that power bank, some one said that each cam can use about 500 mAh/hr, so guess am down to 48,000 mAh for 24 Hour recording or half that amount for 12 Hours !... Am not sure however if the BlackVue products can power up from USB or is it a must to have 12v cigarette lighter power ?...

The Blackvue cameras are 12v, sensor sizes are the same which is why the native 1080p does better low light than the 4k model

Hi i am new to this site and what about running the 2 Thinkware FA200 Wi Fi dash cameras they are a 2 ch set up you can use the main units for front and back and the smaller 720p cameras you can use on the sides, also if $$ is the issue i was thinking getting the cheapest Yi dash cam 4 of them to record each side of the car? that would cost you $30 U S per side or $50 CAN i only heard that those cameras are bad for hot applications.

Back