All the issues with the 512GW and the Rear Add-on resolved?

Yousuf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most of the threads are from people with issues

Would it be safe to buy one now? Are most of the issues resolved (especially the ones with the Rear Add-on)?

Thanks

Well. There might be a bitrate issue on the front camera with the rear connected.

Reduces quality. Peeps are investigating.

Last edited:
Well. There might be a nitrate issue on the front camera with the rear connected.
What is a 'nitrate issue' (Other than that involved with drinking water)?
But no, they are not all sorted out. See Skynet5's second para. And at least one user has had problems with DAB radio reception.

Last edited:
I think he means bitrate issue. Members are complaining of a poorer quality front cam recording when the rear is attached.

Ah yes. It seemed an obvious autocorrect error, but I couldn't un-autocorrect it to anything sensible.
I wish that peeps would read their posts and edit as necessary.

Now my genuine post looks silly. Raises the question "WTF is he on about?":eek:
You could have done this "nitrate bitrate":love:

I could have. But I noticed you didn't quote so took the opportunity to make you look silly. :-)

I don't do unnecessary quotes. Not like some peeps who requote messages ad infinitum blocking up the thread with no good reason.
But I'm always open to suggestions to please peeps, so please review my post #3:love:

Last edited:
So
  1. Issue with the Quality (once the rear is connected)
  2. DAB not working (assuming if the aerial is on the rear window)
  3. Issue with the plug not inserting 100%
Have i summerised?

Would anyone know if Halfords are aware of these issues and would try to assist to resolve where poss?

1. Not had time to look at this with my set up so can't comment
2. My Mondeo has DAB, not sure where antenna is but have no issue with reception.
3. Mine doesn't insert 100% but there is no problem. Cam mounted on tailgate and this has been open and closed numerous times.

1. Not had time to look at this with my set up so can't comment
2. My Mondeo has DAB, not sure where antenna is but have no issue with reception.
3. Mine doesn't insert 100% but there is no problem. Cam mounted on tailgate and this has been open and closed numerous times.

Thanks for this

No they are not all solved.

The biggest and most irritating issue I have with 512GW with rear cam is the need to switch off and switch on to cure a fault (this is Nextbase own advice).

Fault:- when first power up after connecting 512 to rear cam then inserting 512 into windscreen mount is the PiP of rear view is just an outline. Nextbase suggestion is power off power on - and it works every time - rear PiP then contains correct view. This will perform as expected through numerous power off power on sequences while remaining plugged in, but after overnight disconnected the above fault will always show.

Best response from NB is "i will ask the development team and see if we are still working ona fix for this and a new firmware will be made to combat this issue" that was said on 17 July and nothing more has been heard.

Not a major bug - but very irritating waste of 7 seconds when all you wanted to do was plug in and go.

No they are not all solved.

The biggest and most irritating issue I have with 512GW with rear cam is the need to switch off and switch on to cure a fault (this is Nextbase own advice).

Fault:- when first power up after connecting 512 to rear cam then inserting 512 into windscreen mount is the PiP of rear view is just an outline. Nextbase suggestion is power off power on - and it works every time - rear PiP then contains correct view. This will perform as expected through numerous power off power on sequences while remaining plugged in, but after overnight disconnected the above fault will always show.

Best response from NB is "i will ask the development team and see if we are still working ona fix for this and a new firmware will be made to combat this issue" that was said on 17 July and nothing more has been heard.

Not a major bug - but very irritating waste of 7 seconds when all you wanted to do was plug in and go.

Is that when you unplug and plug them back in?

basically YES. If the rear camera is not plugged in at power on, then none of this happens ie no PiP appearance at all - and this is as it should be.

When it detects the rear camera is plugged in at power on then it asks where you would like the PiP to appear which is ok, but then it enters fault mode in displaying a yellow PiP frame with no content. Power off/on is then required before the unit puts content in the frame - this is clearly a bug. It is a software fault when all that is required to cure it is to restart the software. Ok - off/on is all that's needed but the unit takes 3 to 4 seconds to go into power down mode and another 3 to 4 seconds to power up and perform as expected.

How much better if you just plugged it all in, answered the "where do you want PiP to appear" and then got on with fastening seat belt etc knowing the unit would always start recording without further intervention.

Note to Nextbase....
Perfect solution would be to assume a default position for rear PiP so no question is asked at power up, and add the ability to change the default PiP position to the menu system (left/right/never). Then start of operation each day would just involve plugging rear camera into base unit, plugging base unit with screen mounted holder. Done! Unit would auto start recording (as it does now) and position PiP window where you set the menu to. Simples!

In reply to your original question Yousuf - yes I am happy to own 512GW now - it works impressively well and does all I want - just a few rough edges to smooth out and these will be accomplished by software (firmware) updates which are easy to apply.

basically YES. If the rear camera is not plugged in at power on, then none of this happens ie no PiP appearance at all - and this is as it should be.

When it detects the rear camera is plugged in at power on then it asks where you would like the PiP to appear which is ok, but then it enters fault mode in displaying a yellow PiP frame with no content. Power off/on is then required before the unit puts content in the frame - this is clearly a bug. It is a software fault when all that is required to cure it is to restart the software. Ok - off/on is all that's needed but the unit takes 3 to 4 seconds to go into power down mode and another 3 to 4 seconds to power up and perform as expected.

How much better if you just plugged it all in, answered the "where do you want PiP to appear" and then got on with fastening seat belt etc knowing the unit would always start recording without further intervention.

Note to Nextbase....
Perfect solution would be to assume a default position for rear PiP so no question is asked at power up, and add the ability to change the default PiP position to the menu system (left/right/never). Then start of operation each day would just involve plugging rear camera into base unit, plugging base unit with screen mounted holder. Done! Unit would auto start recording (as it does now) and position PiP window where you set the menu to. Simples!

Thanks for this. So assuming both units are plugged in all the time, when switching on, you would still get that prompt ie where the pip should appear?

I would agree, should be default as Alan has suggested

With both units plugged in all the time I believe you do not even get the "where do you want the rear view" question - it assumes you still want it where you last selected it. I seem to remember being told if you want some other position, just unplug and plug back in the rear camera leaving the main unit powered (don't quote me).

I was also told to press "Mode" to switch between rear PiP and rear full screen - I guess so you get a better view of who or what you are about to run over !! :D

Don't remove my 512 and rear cam position is remembered, no prompt. And mode button does toggle Pip and rear cam full view.

Yes that obviously works - do you ever upload footage to any other device? I do regularly, so probably that's why the problem bugs me more than you. I also use the 512 in another vehicle, although not the rear camera that stays permanently in my vehicle.

Recently took a motoring holiday and as the 512 quality is full HD the dash cam footage forms an integral part of the finished holiday video, and I uploaded the days clips each evening, and cleared the card before the next days clips. This also ensured I never over-wrote the previous days footage when a heavy day occurred.

It's still a bug though - admitted by Nextbase - but not cured yet.

Back