Alternative GPS logger for LS330W?

Roland Mollbrandt

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hi!
This is my first thread here.

I've just ordered my first dashcam the DOD LS330W + GPS logger, but was told the logger was sold out, when in fact it seems they haven't yet sold any loggers... I also didn't appreciate the price and that they would charge separate (double) postage for each item and wouldn't reduce postage for the logger when they are able to deliver some time after new year.

So now I'm looking for an alternative GPS logger that works with the DOD LS330W.

I've done some homework and found the Shadow GT550WS, which seems to be identical to the LS330W... Does anyone know if that GPS logger works with the LS330W, or if there is going to show up something else in the near future for a reasonable price?

Greatful for any input!!!

@billknow might be able to confirm for you when he's on next (I have marked this thread to his attention already), I know they (the GPS) come from the same source, not sure if there is any physical difference though but he may be familiar

another type that suits, I don't think so

OK, thank you very much for your input and assistance!!! Very much appreciated!!!

I wrote FoxOffer a question and just got a reply:
"
Actually the gt550ws and ls330w gps moduel is same, but can not exchange due to use different FW.
Due to DOD do not provide LS330W english version in China, so we can not sell this camera, so we have no plan sell the gps module for ls330w.

Thanks."

Does this mean it will be impossible to find an alternative? Still hoping though, that "Billknow" can save the day...:D

I wrote FoxOffer a question and just got a reply:
"
Actually the gt550ws and ls330w gps moduel is same, but can not exchange due to use different FW.
Due to DOD do not provide LS330W english version in China, so we can not sell this camera, so we have no plan sell the gps module for ls330w.

Thanks."

Does this mean it will be impossible to find an alternative? Still hoping though, that "Billknow" can save the day...:D

My opinion on DOD keeping everything in house, I know they want control of the market and keep prices higher to promote the idea of a superior device. I feel people will begin to turn away from the product in favor of similar cams like Shadow etc. This plan is flawed and will surely result in less sales.
As for the GPS module,what's DOD want for one? I would be inclined to just get a shadow GPS module and try it anyhow.

DOD wants 25 £ for the GPS antenna and 35£ postage, when shipping camera and antenna together.

For sure, I'm turned away by this policy! Rather than giving in to that kind of greed, I think I will choose someting else.

Sold separately, they want 5£ for shipment within Europe for the antenna.

DOD wants 25 £ for the GPS antenna and 35£ postage, when shipping camera and antenna together.

For sure, I'm turned away by this policy! Rather than giving in to that kind of greed, I think I will choose someting else.

Sold separately, they want 5£ for shipment within Europe for the antenna.
The cost on GPS modules is actually pretty high, I know it looks like a small plastic bit... And shipping is shipping, with his cost and what he is selling for I don't think he is making lots on that sale.

I know, the shipping cost isn't that high separately, but 35 £ for shipping both camera and antenna is a bit steep I think. I don't know the price of the antenna for the shadow GT550W... Is it roughly the same?

I know, the shipping cost isn't that high separately, but 35 £ for shipping both camera and antenna is a bit steep I think. I don't know the price of the antenna for the shadow GT550W... Is it roughly the same?
GT550 GPS antenna is about $50 Canadian.

My opinion on DOD keeping everything in house, I know they want control of the market and keep prices higher to promote the idea of a superior device. I feel people will begin to turn away from the product in favor of similar cams like Shadow etc. This plan is flawed and will surely result in less sales..

I feel their plan is flawed also, a shame it has been purchased already otherwise the GT680W with GPS would have been a far better option

I feel their plan is flawed also, a shame it has been purchased already otherwise the GT680W with GPS would have been a far better option
Agreed.. GT680w is the way to go if you want a GPS unit for the price. GT550ws if you don't want GPS...but still have the option if you change your mind down the road.

At very early time, dod ls300w firmware can be used for shadow gt300w, I think DOD learned much from this.
So I am sure GT550WS gps module can not work for ls330w.

That makes economical sence "billknow"... But often manufacturers use already made stuff, because it's cheaper...
So, would you say it's impossible to find a generic GPS antenna that works with LS330W?

Hi all! I decided to buy the DOD DG50A (G-mouse) for LS330W. Seller sent me DOD VK-162 by mistake. I don't have an opportunity to send it back due to some reasons. The standart connector for LS330W is the 3.5mm-jack-plug for transmit a gps-data from G-mouse. So my question is will DOD VK-162 work with LS330W if I change the micro-USB connector to 3.5mm-jack-plug as it requested for LS330W?
May be the only difference between DG50A and VK-162 is the type of connector - I wouldn't be surprised
Thanks in advance.

Back