Always on card removal

ExMet

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Itronics ITB-100HD
I've got my 100HD wired into the fuse box and it's always on (parking mode).
How do I access my SD card while the camera is running? I'm assuming that as soon as I enter my car and sit down and start fiddling for the card the camera will start recording, so if I just pull the card out while it is trying to write to it I may damage the card/camera/both.
Do I have to disconnect the power cable now in order to remove the SD card?

The manual says that removing the card while the Dashcam is recording can cause loss of data and/or damage the SD card. Doesn't say if it will damage the camera that I can find. Probably just a good idea to take the card out after it shuts down after the beeps.

I agree with NVBob. It is safer to disconnect the power supply before removing the SD card.

If you remove the card before powering it down (by pulling the cable off or shutting off your car if you have it wired that way) it won't write the end of file info. This will just corrupt the last file saved. This is why there is a large capacitor in there to make sure the file doesn't get corrupted if you get into an accident and the power is interrupted.
(Apparently the older generation of dash cams didn't have this and it left them with a data recovery mess after an accident.)
If I was designing it, I'd add some extra tiny text near the SD card, "Power down before removing".

Back