Am I asking for too much?

TomX

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've been a lurker here on the forums. My fiancée introduced me to this site and she bought the Mini 806 (backlight randomly turns on, audio randomly quit a few days later). Now I'm looking for a dash cam and I'm torn between the Mobius and either the Mini 805 or Mini 826. I think I'm asking for too much when I have the following requirements:

1. Ability to record in extreme temperatures.

2. Ability to do buffered parking mode or something similar.

3. Video quality is important, higher the better, especially at night.

4. Support and firmware updates and customization.

5. Cheap...ish. Cant justify $300-400 for a camera, even $200 or so is pushing it.

6. Ships within the USA/North America. Not a fan of the whole 18-20 day china post packages.

Mobius seems to be the popular choice, especially for customization and firmware. I'm debating on the standard or wide angle lens C2, leaning standard lens due to reading license plates easier. I don't mind if the camera continuously records as I can sift through the footage in case I notice a new ding. I'm not too trusting of any sort of motion capture via setting regions from a software (hit or miss). Would be nice to have a true buffered parking mode. Going to likely hardware what ever camera into the car. I like the Mini 805 for how cheap it is, maybe I can get one for the back of the car as well. Don't like the lack of support and firmware options for it. The Mini 826 seems to fix what the Mini 806 should've been, but again the lack of support firmware and customization has me worried about the future. In any case it doesn't look like you can leave the camera running in a cold car during the winter when its hitting 0F or below.

What about in the sub $200 market? or even the sub $100. The SG9665GC though has me hooked, just ouch on the $200 part.

What about in the sub $200 market? or even the sub $100. The SG9665GC though has me hooked, just ouch on the $200 part.

You looked at Mini 0806 & Mobius. So you like small & discreet DashCams. Add that to your other wants & I cannot think of any cheaper cameras that fulfil your criteria. Note that SG9665GC doesn't have a buffered parking mode.

...just ouch on the $200 part.
Remember, that only hurts once. Buy something you don't like or that fails and it hurts again, and again, and ...... ;)

Nobody mentioned Joovuu-X , could/should be a contender?

I think at this point video quality, especially at night, and pre buffered parking mode is definitely high up on the list. Heard someone say the 805 has a rather good motion detection built into it. Is pre buffering that needed for parking or does everyone just run large SD cards?

BMbler, I think I saw it mentioned that the motion detection of the Joovu X isn't quite sorted yet.

Tom, I had an 0801 and had nothing but trouble with it. Maybe the updated models are better now but they still have problems and I don't think you'll see anyone on this forum promoting them due to their reliability. But some people get good ones and are happy, so it's just a choice that you'll need to make. If you can buy local then you can always return it if you're not happy.

Pre buffering makes sense to me for parking mode. Otherwise if someone walks past your car and does damage (eg. keys it), or quickly parks in a space next to you and opens their door onto your car, I don't think that a camera without pre-buffering will catch it. Also the situation where someone drives into your parked car and then drives off. You have a much better chance of seeing a number plate if your camera is recording the period leading up to the incident.

Back