Amount of Video Stored

straphanger322

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just wrapped up a long road trip and was reviewing the footage on the B1W. I thought my 64GB card would be mostly full but when I checked it on my computer, only 35GB was used while the rest was free space. Because of this, I only have footage from the last 9 hours of driving and nothing earlier, despite all the free space. Is this the normal behavior of the B1W? I thought it would just slowly wipe out older files as new files get written. Or does it just wipe out a chunk of older files whenever space is running out?

It is normal according to my 64Gb card experiences!
35.6Gb for normal looping recording, and 18.4Gb reserved for event recording, and 1G for JPG folder!

64GB Card.jpg

dcim.jpg
event.jpg
jpeg.jpg

Its loop recording works even if its memory card full, that is to say, oldest videos will be rewritten both from normal recording files folder and event locked files folder!

Last edited:
I just wrapped up a long road trip and was reviewing the footage on the B1W. I thought my 64GB card would be mostly full but when I checked it on my computer, only 35GB was used while the rest was free space. Because of this, I only have footage from the last 9 hours of driving and nothing earlier, despite all the free space. Is this the normal behavior of the B1W? I thought it would just slowly wipe out older files as new files get written. Or does it just wipe out a chunk of older files whenever space is running out?
The B1W reserves a minimum of 30% card space for EVENT recordings, therefore it does not use all the available space for regular recordings. You can adjust that value in the app, but not less than 30%.

Good to know...thanks for the clarification! So based on this, it looks like a 64GB card holds about 8 hours of footage before it starts overwriting itself.

I have my camera set to record in 3 minute clips. I did notice that pretty much all of the videos fit in a MP4 container that are 266-268MB in size. It's pretty consistent across all of the videos I have. Is the B1W programmed to fit video into a certain sized container? I thought file sizes would've varied a bit more depending on the objects and details that are in each clip.

The bitrate is fairly constant around 12.4Mbps no matter what level of detail, so the recorded file sizes end up being about the same.

The B1W reserves a minimum of 30% card space for EVENT recordings, therefore it does not use all the available space for regular recordings. You can adjust that value in the app, but not less than 30%.

I can see the benefit of 30% being saved when using a smaller SD card, but many of us use larger cards to get longer normal recording times, and 30% of the large card is too much space 'wasted' where it's not needed. Lower settings should be made available or the saved space should be defined by size, not a percentage of the card.

Phil

I can see the benefit of 30% being saved when using a smaller SD card, but many of us use larger cards to get longer normal recording times, and 30% of the large card is too much space 'wasted' where it's not needed. Lower settings should be made available or the saved space should be defined by size, not a percentage of the card.

Phil
I agree

Yes. i think i have asked for a option to go lower than the 30% for the event folder.

Reactions: vax
Not least with a camera like the B1W that have a well working G-sensor.
I managed to trigger a event recording now and then, last time a few days ago going thru a roundabout at 50 km/h, and though i clipped / pretty much drove on the inner part thats really just there so semi trucks can get thru, then it was on the exit and hitting a drain that did the triggering.
Which i found strange cuz that roundabout have its inner part "marked" by some tiles if you will that are about 1 inch tall so the whole car do rumble pretty bad when you hit those.
On the other hand my lukas i once had, just me walking up to the car would trigger, and when i then drove the car it was one long event, and it did take me a few days to dial in custom trigger values.
BUT ! generally i dont use G -.sensor as i dont use parking guard which are the only place i can see use for that, just do so on the B1W as i was given it to test, and so i test that too.

Back