Android unit Dash Cam

colder1989

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hello everyone. I am looking for a dash cam for my android car stereo install on my bmw f20. I would like to connect the dash cam directly to the car stereo without using wifi but with usb connection or av output. for now I have this "atoto AC-44P2" model but it records in 1080. I can't find anything else with better resolution. thanks everyone for the help

Ciao colder1989.
welcome to the forum.

Dashcams are not plug and play compatible, so in general if you have a system ( where 2 cameras are a option ) then you have to buy the #2 camera in the same brand as the main unit, and even then you have to make sure it is compatible.
You can not buy a 2 channel viofo system, and then have the rear vamera break, and then replace wit with a blackvue rear camera.
The Android head hunits i have seen that support a camera ( dashcamera ) most often have this camera connect by USB, but it have to be the same brand as the Head unit i am sure.
And even if that head unit make a series of cameras in different resolutions, it is not given that a 4K camera would be supported by your head unit made with a 1080p camera in mind.
At least in dashcams not only is the resolution a issue, also the image sensor require to be the correct one so it is supported by the firm ware.
This is why you see systems for instance named xxyyzz and then a newer model named xxyyzz PRO, as then the PRO version will have other sensors in the cameras and so will not work with the firmware for the regular none pro version.

For instance viofo, they have a camera named A128 duo and then the A128 plus duo model and finally the A128 pro duo model, but here the remote rear camera might work in between those models, as these are different in the front camera ( 1080p - 1440p - 4K ) but the rear camera on all the models are 1080p, and even then if it is different sensors in those another yoiu cant just switch them around.

In the 1080o cameras the old sensor are often the Sony IMX 323 and a newer camera might be IMX 291 or IMX 307, each on its own requiring a firmware tailored for that particular sensor.

In dashcams many use USB plug to connect for instance the rear camera to the main camera on the windscreen, but these are just the plugs and only the + and - 5 volt wire will be up to the USB standard, all other wires will be something else.
These plugs are also USB mini or micro most often and i bet your head unit are USB A like on a computer, anyway plugging a dashcam camera into that will not work i am sure.
most remote dashcam cameras are also just 1080p still, only the camera in the main unit on the windscreen can be bigger resolution.

you can buy USB webcams and microscope cameras, and these might stand a better chance of working, though i still very much doubt so, you at least would have to update the driver for the camera in your head unit, just like you have to do if you put a new hardware in your computer.

Thank you very much for your help and for your explanation. My car radio is not "atoto" but I bought the dashcam from "atoto" and it works correctly with its app called "hd dvr" ... it arrived today and I tried it and it looks very good .. .. it connects via usb to the unit ... the sensor I think is an IMX 323. Let's say it's okay but the only thing is that I can't use it with other applications, such as ADAS. it is not detected in that case. what do you advise me to do? to change it and take something else?
immagine_2021-05-01_205225.png

. Let's say it's okay but the only thing is that I can't use it with other applications, such as ADAS. it is not detected in that case. what do you advise me to do? to change it and take something else?
I'd advise you to stick with what you have, ADAS in aftermarket products varies from anything about 80% effective, to totally useless, not worth the gamble for something that only sort of works

Back