Anker powerbank as permanent power source

Nemaca

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have had continuous crashing, freezing, recovering, black screen, white screen, card corruption, etc problems with my 612gw.
Before someone jumps me :), my card is a U3(v30) sandisk extreme,
Writing speed: 63.8 MByte/s
Reading speed: 78.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

So all my problems seemed to have been solved by ditching the lighter plug in favor of the anker powerbank. The dashcam can be plugged in to a regular phone charger for first time use, so i assumed i can do it continuously, which i did. I have no idea if this will damage it in the long run, but as from my point of view, this is a damaged product anyway, further damage is irrelevant. If it dies, i will not be sorry, and i am satisfied it works as it is now.

My car is a 2014 audi a4, with 4 cig plugs, tested on all 4, and it only works properly on the one in the boot, which I am not happy on using it with, because i've got a garmin55 plugged in there, happy camper, no headaches from that one. The hdr seems better on the garmin, so i keep it there to pick up plates better from the cars behind me. Night vision is slightly better on the 612, but the hdr is pretty bad, especially at night. I also connected it to my usb car connectors for phones(2 of them) and it glitches out int he exact same manner.

So... anker powerbank for now, we'll see if it dies or not.

L.E. Anker specs:
  • Capacity:26800 mAh / 96.48 Wh
  • Output:5 V / 2.4 A, 9 V / 2 A, 12 V / 1.5 A
  • Input:5 V / 2 A, 9 V / 2 A
While dashcam specs:
NBDVR612GW / ELITE
5V / 1.5A
12-24Vdc Car Power Cable (supplied)
Fuse Type: 20mm / 1.5A Output: 5Vdc

So they should be paired up just fine.
Neither of them is overheating, (even the garmin, famous for overheating, never gave up in the sun for me) and i can net 10+hours of continuous 2k@60fps footage on the 612.

Last edited:
Unless you have a power bank that is specifically designed for what is called "pass-through-charging" (which Anker power banks are definitely not) you should avoid this practice. It can damage both the power bank as well as your camera and can potentially be dangerous.

I actually have 2 anker powerbanks, one 20000mah with p2c, and the newer one, 26800mah without p2c, that has better heath dissipation the the older one. I figured the heat dissipation is definately something I need to think about, but to be honest, I fail to see why I should take into account the p2c, because I am not charging the powerbank while driving, i am simply charging it every few days from the wall socket. Is there something I'm missing?

I actually have 2 anker powerbanks, one 20000mah with p2c, and the newer one, 26800mah without p2c, that has better heath dissipation the the older one. I figured the heat dissipation is definately something I need to think about, but to be honest, I fail to see why I should take into account the p2c, because I am not charging the powerbank while driving, i am simply charging it every few days from the wall socket. Is there something I'm missing?

OK, that should be fine. Power banks should not be charged at the same time they are being discharged (unless they are designed for this which very few are) and it sounded like that was what you were talking about when you said,"plugged in to a regular phone charger for first time use, so i assumed i can do it continuously".

Oh, that's just my English failing me, sorry.
The cam comes with a USB-A plug that needs to be connected to a regular phone charger to power it up for first time usage, as per step-by-step leaflet instructions. After all the glitches, my thought was: "I know it's not the card, I know it's not the car, I know it's not the cam. Must be the way the power flows!" I just assumed that, well,... if I can do it once, for 1st time usage, then why not do it some more, so I stuck the usb cable provided, into my anker powerbank (like a genius, before checking on the websites the actual spec to see if they are compatible) and voila!, the dashcam powered up, as opposed to immediate death, which I kind of hoped for at this stage! Hence, I moved residence of my anker from my boot where i kept it mostly idle in the offchance of charging my empty phones (well, now I own huawei mate20pro and p20pro, so battery-panic-attacks are over, anyway), and now i actually use the anker and the dashcam works just fine.
I hope that's more clear :)

I use power banks regularly on a daily basis to run my dash cams (mostly for parking "mode") but other times as well and have been doing so for over four years.

Excellent info. We've all harked on about it but no one seems to have done it till now.

Anker, same here, they get excellent Amazon reviews.

Back