Any advice would be appreciated..

M4ttc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my V3 for a month or so and is hardwired in using the official V3 hardwire kit.

It has been great for a month or so but I am now having issues with power to the camera.

I have checked the wiring and I am getting the correct voltage at the ACC and Live battery wires using a multimeter.

I have checked the voltage at the GPS mount contacts and that is 12v which you can see on this video

However, this is not powering up the camera. It is as if the contacts are not passing the power through via the GPS mount

If I connect the camera to the 12v cig lighter (the one that I used to piggy back the ACC) using the usb cable, it powers up fine.

I'm confused

At least on the Viofo A129, you are not suppose to power the camera through the GPS mount if hardwiring. You need to plug the power into the actual camera itself.

Have you tried plugging the hardwire kit direct to camera itself?

Thanks for the advice.
I am really confused now...
I did what you say and plugged directly into the camera and still now power to the unit. Weird as.

I started the engine and I am getting 14.3 volts on the contacts of the GPS module so power is passing.

Plug the camera into an external source (usb power pack) and it powers up

Wtf

At least on the Viofo A129, you are not suppose to power the camera through the GPS mount if hardwiring. You need to plug the power into the actual camera itself.
Really? Where is this stated?

This is true only for the older units manufactured years ago. Units made over the last 2-3 years can be powered either way.

I have had my V3 for a month or so and is hardwired in using the official V3 hardwire kit.

It has been great for a month or so but I am now having issues with power to the camera.

I have checked the wiring and I am getting the correct voltage at the ACC and Live battery wires using a multimeter.

I have checked the voltage at the GPS mount contacts and that is 12v which you can see on this video

However, this is not powering up the camera. It is as if the contacts are not passing the power through via the GPS mount

If I connect the camera to the 12v cig lighter (the one that I used to piggy back the ACC) using the usb cable, it powers up fine.

I'm confused
After connecting the hardwire kit, you need to turn the ACC on before it will power the camera…

Hi
Not sure what this means. It has been working fine and parking mode too.. so ACC must have been working

This is true only for the older units manufactured years ago. Units made over the last 2-3 years can be powered either way.

Didn't know Viofo changed their guidance. Use to be the manual stated plug only to the camera (and not GPS) if hardwiring.

Hi
Not sure what this means. It has been working fine and parking mode too.. so ACC must have been working

I guess let's start from beginning:

1. Make Model Year of Car
2. Post a picture of the Fuse Box Manual
3. Tell us what fuses you're using for Battery / ACC. Also, make sure your ground wire is put behind a body bolt and not just a screw with a washer.

Thanks

2014 Evoque

fuse 52 ACC and 66 live

Bolted as follows

As I said earlier. This has been working like a dream for a couple of months.

Also, if there was a wiring issue,would there be any power at the GPS mount contacts?

I have been using 5amp fuses

I could up this but as i said, it seems like power is getting there

But appreciate you taking time to reply!

Attachments

• 20210718_133712.jpg
    20210718_133712.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 14
Thanks for the advice.
I am really confused now...
I did what you say and plugged directly into the camera and still now power to the unit. Weird as.

This means camera isn't issue but your hardwiring has a problem.

1. You have a blown fuse / loose fuse in a fuse tap - Check Fuses. Try Reseating Fuses.
2. Your wires aren't crimped properly or are loose in one of the fuse taps - Check for loose connections.
3. Have you tried reseating the fuse taps? - See above
4. Make sure ground wire is secured tightly to a metal body bolt. If no ground connection, camera will not work

As the camera works fine from the 12v socket for power....

Thanks

2014 Evoque

fuse 52 ACC and 66 live

Bolted as follows

As I said earlier. This has been working like a dream for a couple of months.

Also, if there was a wiring issue,would there be any power at the GPS mount contacts?

I have been using 5amp fuses

I could up this but as i said, it seems like power is getting there

But appreciate you taking time to reply!

I am not sure if I have the right manual for your fuse box: https://www.rrevoque.org/passenger_compartment_fuse_box-3035.html

Looking at your choices of fuses 52 is fine (Front Cigar Lighter)....66 I'm skeptical about. "Diagnostics". Is this suppose to be attached to the OBDII? I realize some hardwire kits do tap into the OBDII for hardwire. However, "Diagnostics" gives me a worrisome vibe. Generally, you want to avoid electronics, safety systems, and modules. The more benign the fuse, the better. Something like fuses 42 or 45 (which I presume are Driver's / Passenger's) power seats is a far better choice for battery.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit weird he measured 12V at the GPS mount where should be only 5V because it's behind HWK..?

Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit weird he measured 12V at the GPS mount where should be only 5V because it's behind HWK..?
That did cross my mind too. Would this indicate the HWK has stopped regulating the voltage or just a bad earth.

As I have said, this worked without issue for nearly 2 months

That did cross my mind too. Would this indicate the HWK has stopped regulating the voltage or just a bad earth.

As I have said, this worked without issue for nearly 2 months
everything works until it doesn't, if the hardwire kit has failed and it is outputting 12v the camera is doing you a favor by not powering up, if it did it would do permanent damage, they must have overvoltage protection on the input, hopefully they have that on the GPS mount as well (if it still works when you power by the cig plug then it's probably fine, talk to the seller about warranty on the hardwire kit

everything works until it doesn't, if the hardwire kit has failed and it is outputting 12v the camera is doing you a favor by not powering up, if it did it would do permanent damage, they must have overvoltage protection on the input, hopefully they have that on the GPS mount as well (if it still works when you power by the cig plug then it's probably fine, talk to the seller about warranty on the hardwire kit

Question. Couldn't a poor connection cause overvoltage? I.E. improper crimping of taps or a loose wire lead to irregular voltage? Although, in the video, the 12V seems consistent for the few seconds we see it.

Question. Couldn't a poor connection cause overvoltage? I.E. improper crimping of taps or a loose wire lead to irregular voltage? Although, in the video, the 12V seems consistent for the few seconds we see it.
would cause low voltage, if he's getting 12v out of the hardwire kit something has failed, giving the benefit of the doubt that his measured results are correct without relying on the video as half of it is 'bigfoot sighting' quality on the focus, not easy to test something and do video at the same time when working by yourself

FYI : I have my A119V3 hardwired via the GPS mount and it's been absolutely fine for a few years. My only difference is that I'm using a Nextbase series 1 HWK.

FYI : I have my A119V3 hardwired via the GPS mount and it's been absolutely fine for a few years. My only difference is that I'm using a Nextbase series 1 HWK.

@CaptureYourAction said Viofo changed their guidance. My A129 came with instructions not to use hardwire kit to GPS mount. Apparently, Viofo must have modified their design. I was unaware of that one.

would cause low voltage, if he's getting 12v out of the hardwire kit something has failed, giving the benefit of the doubt that his measured results are correct without relying on the video as half of it is 'bigfoot sighting' quality on the focus, not easy to test something and do video at the same time when working by yourself

What about in the instances of a short in the wire or loose connection? I would think this would cause low voltage, but also lead to spikes in voltage, if the wire is moved. Since the connection is being broken and isn't consistent.

When I do the same test with the engine running, voltage increases to approx 14.3v which is the running voltage of the battery. There appears to be no step down to 5v which is what some of the posters are implying is the expected voltage.

I have checked the footage and it stopped recording on Saturday, 10 mins into mode and hasn't powered on via the HWK since

Back