Any option to mount low-profile to the top of a helmet?

SqueezyCheez

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a way to mount my Mobius to the top of a helmet just using something akin to a "curved-bottom" mounting sleeve. Does such a thing exist?

Not that I'm aware of. You should be able to compensate for the curvature by using 2 narrowish strips of 3M VHB tape or similar, with nothing in the middle. You may need to double the tape up but I think one layer will be enough. Be sure it's aimed correctly because once its stuck to the VHB there's no moving it afterward. I'd practice the location using cheap double-stick tape first before using the good stuff.

Phil

That's not a bad idea. It would probably add to the vibration absorbsion too. I'll give it a shot. I gotta remove my Sony mount first... I've heard gloss and alcohol can take mounts off well enough.

Thanks for the idea!

Hi SqueezyCheez,and welcome.
With out getting into the finer points of law re; attachments to helmets, this is what I have done to a bicycle helmet. It is made from thin easy to manipulate Aluminum and I have had it and the Mobius on it for three years. I have no adjustment in the system. I simply mounted the affair and went for a test run to see how the angle would work. A bit of bending and fixing and all was well.
On the point of law breaking I attached it with 3 small pop rivets from with in to present a smooth surface to the cranium. This is equal to the death penalty to some purists so I won't give any advice on fixings.
I always intended to paint it white to hide it better, but the eternal procrastinator in me always seems to win.:)
My thoughts on safety is that a vehicle hitting you over 20 kph an hour is going to present more problems to a cyclist than a bit of ally and camera on the helmet. None of the above might apply to a motor bike though, and you don't actually say what sort of helmet.

Yeah I don't want to compromise the safety of my motorcycle helmet. And other than that, pop rivets in a $500 helmet scares me too much. :p

Looks pretty slick on that bike helmet though.

Anything you do that alters a helmet in any way affects it's safe use, and usually voids any warranty. My way of thinking is that under severe strain, the VHB tape will probably let go before the mounting causes anything really bad to happen to you. And it's chemically inert enough to not adversely affect the plastic shell. I positively would not rivet a helmet even with nothing attached but it's your head inside it and not mine so do what you want.

Floss and alcohol should work fine for removal as long as you remember to use the alcohol externally only ;) The farthest distance between two points on any motorcycle should always be between the bottle and the throttle :D Ride safe!

Phil

3 M Dual lock may work also. (The somewhat transparent, super velcro stuff)
If your helmet is vibrating that much, I think you have other problems. :)

3 M Dual lock may work also. (The somewhat transparent, super velcro stuff)
If your helmet is vibrating that much, I think you have other problems. :)

I was about to suggest the same. I use it to secure my Mobius to the curved underside of the (large) rear view mirror surround in my Kuga. You can buy different varieties eg. some with high temp adhesives, different colours and different sized "hooks". Ebay is a good place to look.

I put a longer piece on the curved mirror surround so can reposition the Mobius forward/ aft on the curve- adjusting the alignment of the lens up/ down.

Kuga%20track%20KI.JPG

I would advise against adding any type of metal mount to a motorbike or ski helmet - the former F1 champion suffered an horrendous brain injury when he collided with rock and the metal mount of his action cam went into his brain.
There are several strap/plastic/velcro mounts available, most are for side mount but some offer top mount as well.

I would advise against adding any type of metal mount to a motorbike or ski helmet - the former F1 champion suffered an horrendous brain injury when he collided with rock and the metal mount of his action cam went into his brain.
There are several strap/plastic/velcro mounts available, most are for side mount but some offer top mount as well.

Was it metal? I think a plastic mount might have been enough, it acts like a wedge concentrating on a small surface the impact.

Edit:
- http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac...se-schumacher-crash-accusations/#3a64c3f057ef
- or...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...sh-did-helmet-camera-cause-head-injuries.html
- and https://petapixel.com/2014/10/12/mi...nt-brain-injury-said-caused-gopro-helmet-cam/

Back