ANY SUGGESTION FOR REAR CAMERA?

Mystery

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure if I am the only one who has a bad rear camera, I ordered a VANTRUE N4 PRO on Amazon recently, and when I checked the video on my PC, the resolution was very low and it blurry, and the license plate could not be read clearly, is there a problem with the dash cam?

Welcome to the forum Mystery.

It could be there is a focus issue with the lens.
Regarding the resolution of the rear camera i cant remember what it is for this model, but a look at the properties of a file from it should tell

In general it is my personal feeling that 1080p are a bit on the low side for Americans, not least the 1 plate in the back states, CUZ there with oncoming cars the only camera getting a chance is the rear camera as the car pass by.

It seem like several brands had some focus issues lately, so i would for sure contact seller if you have something like that.

Sadly it seem like Vantrue are not as active on here as they use to be, could be it is all hands on deck to work out problems at the company.

Get VIOFO cams, they the most value for your $, most developed quaility and they stand behind their products. I was using a A119 v1 since 2016 and it still works great today.
I use 2x VIOFO A119 Mini 2's. One for front, one for rear. Nothing beats them for their size and cost! VIOFO also have multi channel models if you prefer that kinda of setup.
The new Sony Starvis 2 sensor is awesome! But, just cause a dash cam on Amazon/ebay/alieexpress etc says it has that sensor (or any other high end hardware) does NOT mean the cam will output excellent image quailty. It takes refinement, testing, and good firmware to make a good camera.

I have a great time testing Viofo systems, and what little things are not right they will try hard to make right.
And there are vast differences in making a action camera and a dashcam, something i think dride are seeing now going with a SOC that is more seen in action cameras than dashcams.

Vantrue which i have also tested, they are not quite Viofo level i feel, but they could easy get there i think. Just need to work hard, think hard, and make the right decisions.
The N5 i am testing ATM, run like clockwork, but i will admit i have not looked terrible much at the footage from the rear camera and the 2 interior cameras.

Get VIOFO cams, they the most value for your $, most developed quaility and they stand behind their products. I was using a A119 v1 since 2016 and it still works great today.
I use 2x VIOFO A119 Mini 2's. One for front, one for rear. Nothing beats them for their size and cost! VIOFO also have multi channel models if you prefer that kinda of setup.
The new Sony Starvis 2 sensor is awesome! But, just cause a dash cam on Amazon/ebay/alieexpress etc says it has that sensor (or any other high end hardware) does NOT mean the cam will output excellent image quailty. It takes refinement, testing, and good firmware to make a good camera.
thank you for all the suggestions, how do you compare A119 with A229, is it worth upgrading?

Would other branded cameras work as a secondary camera to the N4 Pro? Also, I know it doesn’t work this way, but 2, 1080p streams have the same raw bandwidth of a single 1440p stream.

thank you for all the suggestions, how do you compare A119 with A229, is it worth upgrading?
Read the forms here, watch and compare the footage users provide, watch Youtube videos etc...

The A229 plus/pro series is not out (fully) yet it seems, it is new model and is still being tested by reviewers and still being refined before it hits retailers other than from VIOFO direct.

The higher models, like the A229, support multi cams (multi-channel) so if you want front (main), rear, interior, for example, those are what those models do.

A229 Plus/Pro also is 4K resolution for the front main cam, vs the 2K (1440P) of the A119 Mini 2.
It is also much larger in physical size, than the A119 Mini 2.
The standard A229 is 2K, but is using the 1st Gen Sony Starvis sensor, which is not as good as the 2nd gen in the Mini 2.

The newest models of VIOFO cams have the Sony Starvis 2 sensor, which is the most superior sensor at this time.
The older models are just Starvis (1 st gen), so that is a key point to look for if you are looking around at the various models they offer.

EDIT: Edited to clarify the A229 Plus/Pro is 4K camera.... looks like the plain A229 is 2K with 1st Gen Starvis sensor.

Last edited:
Back