Are all hardwire kits made for Mini's?

Mio NoVue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well no clearly they're not. Just wondering how those with bigger cars get around this?

So the other day I wired in my VIOFO A119v3 (so my username is dated now :-/), today I wired in a permanent charger cable for my phone (on switched live, not perm - I just mean permanently fixed).

Another job was to wire in the Mio Mivue cam I had up front to the rear of the car. Put it in place, started routing the cable down the rubber seal near the doors. Started getting towards the A-pillar & it was pretty obvious I was going to be short. Another 1mtr should've done it, maybe 0.5mtr for it to be a little tight.
That was the original 12v male cable that came with the cam itself. Measured this against a HW kit I got off Amazon - the Amazon one was mildly longer but not by enough. Got the tape measure & had a see and they'd be sold as 4mtr.

Now I suppose one way of doing it since the cam is bang centre of the rear window is to rip out the headlining & go in a straight line right to the map lights, but then I wouldn't have a clue what I'm doing there PLUS there's no way I'd be getting that headlining back in place.

Had a gander on Amazon and everything I'm seeing seems to be 3mtr or 4mtr.

Now clearly those with bigger cars get it done because I've seen them. Just how do they get around this issue?

For reference - my car is a MK3 (2006year) Ford Mondeo hatchback. I suppose estate version would be even more trouble.

Which raises another point - are rear windows more curved than the front windscreen?

I had my Mio Mivue on the front no problem. Suction mount. During super hot weather it would fall off but that's about it. I've stuck it on the rear & I don't know if it's because the suction base is quite large (a much smaller suction one for the VIOFO mostly worked - but did have trouble at times) or because it's quite old (had this cam since maybe 2018? 2019?) but it's falling off for fun on the rear window.

My car's almost 5mtrs long and i have no problems routing a 5mtr cable to the rear
i route it via the top rubbers and only when i get to the rear do i go down into the trunk
if i'd go down to the floor straight away, the cable would be too short

Which raises another point - are rear windows more curved than the front windscreen?

I had my Mio Mivue on the front no problem. Suction mount. During super hot weather it would fall off but that's about it. I've stuck it on the rear & I don't know if it's because the suction base is quite large (a much smaller suction one for the VIOFO mostly worked - but did have trouble at times) or because it's quite old (had this cam since maybe 2018? 2019?) but it's falling off for fun on the rear window.
Weird one this.

When I posted that I'd applied it to the rear window 3 or 4 times bang centre. First time I just applied it after it'd been on the front. The other times I had given the suction contact as well as the glass itself a real good rubbing with 99.9% isopropryl alcohol and it just kept falling off as I said.

I then stuck it in the drivers side top corner. That's where I'd actually stuck the Viofo when I had the Viofo on a small suction mount. I didn't actually clean the glass in the top corner.

Stayed on overnight. Been out for a drive, taken speed bumps, still in place. Would've fallen off by now being bang centre.

So an idea I had which I'll pitch in case it's a stupid idea & you can stop me before I do it -

Put 3M tape on the suction part in a way where it runs from edge to edge but also avoids the heat element on the rear screen & then suction it central.

My car's almost 5mtrs long and i have no problems routing a 5mtr cable to the rear
i route it via the top rubbers and only when i get to the rear do i go down into the trunk
if i'd go down to the floor straight away, the cable would be too short

I had a search on a 5mtr cable as that should do the job. Kept running in to 'hardwire kit for Nextbase' results.

Not sure what's so special about the nextbase unit. Surely it's just wire that connects point A to point B, providing the USB connector on the end fits in your device. I don't know anything about electronics so I can't fathom what's so special about a nextbase unit. They all just look like wires with a box somewhere between either end.

just buy an electric cable ( amazon ) and extend the cable using : amazon
Found this ( amazon ). Will have to see if it really is 5mtrs & whether it is enough for the job.

But out of curiosity, what's the deal with the nextbase units that they can't be used on other cams? Or can they?

Example.

Even says which series Nextbase it's for. I look at the picture & think does it really matter? Surely it could work for any cam?

Back