Are people upgrading to V3.3?

Smiley

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119V.1(1), A119V.2 (6), A119V3 (1)
There always seem to be so many partially or poorly documented changes in the firmware–and this one has come rapidly on the heels of the previous one. I assume there were some problems with the previous one–one of my cameras goes to mass storage mode in 3.1 when I turn it on, even though it's not connected to the computer.
I'm curious to know what people's thoughts and experiences are of 3.3 before I take the leap. since proper operation of the camera is critical for the goal (Recording what really happens out there) it seems like we really need to be absolutely certain about how this thing works. Thanks

I upgraded my both cameras about 2 hours ago to v.3.3, will test if not today then tomorrow, "Parking Mode" enabled (;) for a couple of tests).

I only received my A119 V2 yesterday, with V2.06 installed and the first thing I did after going through the menus and tweaking was to install V3.3. So far no problems whatsoever with the new firmware, including parking mode overnight. However, the upgrade process did wipe all my previous setup, so I had to reconfigure the camera again. I didn't notice this until checking footage today and spotting the absent embedded data from the recorded video. It may be that losing settings is expected behaviour, but it was a surprise to me as a first time dash cam user. No other products I own (phones, cameras, watches) lose settings simply by upgrading firmware.

one of my cameras goes to mass storage mode in 3.1 when I turn it on, even though it's not connected to the computer.
Shouldn't happen with the supplied long cable. I think you need two things to get the A119 into the mass storage mode:
  • A USB cable that has the +/-Data lines connected. The supplied long cable only has +5Vdc power and ground connected. The supplied short cable also has the +/-Data lines connected for you to connect to the PC to upgrade firmware.
  • A device on the other end like a PC that communicates over the data lines. (not sure of the exact details).
You can use the short cable to power the A119 normally, if the power source does not use the data lines, such as a wall charger or a dumb power bank.

I've been running V3.1B/V3.1 a couple months now and they seem stable and have significant changes from the previous version I was running (V2.0). Just loaded V3.3 a couple days ago. Have not noted any functional differences between V3.1 and V3.3 yet and the change logs are basically the same. But it's still too early to tell.

So @viofo (or anyone else) can you tell us what changed between V3.1 and V3.3 firmware?

Last edited:
I've updated to 3.3 and tried the camera two times now with different resolutions. Everything seems to work ok.

I upgraded mine from 2.06 to 3.3 as soon as I got it out of the box. No issues so far. You need to use the short USB cable, not the long one.

Is there an updated manual somewhere that documents the parking mode?

My car has been in the shop for a while because of an accident waiting to be repaired so I run the cameras that were in it once a week for several hours to keep the backup battery charged. I have upgraded to A119 firmware v.3.3 but continue to keep hearing infrequent double bleeps while the camera is operating. By the time I get to the camera and look at the screen, there are no error messages. When I look at the memory card, there do not seem to be any corrupt files. It’s strange though that out of nowhere I hear these occasional double bleeps though. This has been happening for weeks now–I’m wondering if it has to do with the firmware. Any thoughts? Thanks!

My car has been in the shop for a while because of an accident waiting to be repaired so I run the cameras that were in it once a week for several hours to keep the backup battery charged. I have upgraded to A119 firmware v.3.3 but continue to keep hearing infrequent double bleeps while the camera is operating. By the time I get to the camera and look at the screen, there are no error messages. When I look at the memory card, there do not seem to be any corrupt files. It’s strange though that out of nowhere I hear these occasional double bleeps though. This has been happening for weeks now–I’m wondering if it has to do with the firmware. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Are the files all the same length? If you have looping set to 3 min, are all the files still 3 min?

Yes, all the files are the same, except for the last one, which reflects when the camera was turned off. It is set for three minute loops and each of the files is approximately 547 MB in size-the usual for the files that I have looked at.

Yes, all the files are the same, except for the last one, which reflects when the camera was turned off. It is set for three minute loops and each of the files is approximately 547 MB in size-the usual for the files that I have looked at.
Well, that's positive. Are you getting any locked files? Are you sure they are coming from the camera?

I have upgraded to A119 firmware v.3.3 but continue to keep hearing infrequent double bleeps while the camera is operating.
If by chance you are recording Time-lapse (Time-Lapse Recording menu setting), I've noticed that when the Time-lapse recording loops, the REC button blinks and a one double beep sounds. The double beep was not noted in Parking mode when looping a Time-lapse recording, but there was a momentary button light indication (REC button red light off and Power button green light ON). I don't know whether or not these characteristics are unique to firmware V3.3.

By the way, Time-lapse recording does not loop in accordance with the Loop Recording menu setting. The individual frames shot during Time-lapse recording are consolidated into a 2 minute long 30 fps video. Although the each video is 2 minutes long, the actual clock time between loops (End clock time minus Start clock time) varies with the fps setting in Parking Mode menu setting or the inverse Time per frame setting in the Time-Lapse Recording menu setting.

For example in Parking Mode, actual clock time recorded before looping is:
Time-lapse Loop clock time minutes = 60/fps, where fps is the frames per second set in the Parking Mode menu setting, or​
  • Time-lapse Loop clock time at 15fps = 4 minutes**
  • Time-lapse Loop clock time at 5fps = 12 minutes**
  • Time-lapse Loop clock time at 1fps = 60 minutes**
In a similar manner, actual clock times recorded for the Time-Lapse Recording menu settings can be computed recognizing that the time per frame format is just the inverse of fps (keep your units straight).
  • Time-lapse Loop clock time at 100ms = 60*0.1 = 6 minutes**
  • Time-lapse Loop clock time at 200ms = 60*0.2 = 12 minutes**
  • Time-lapse Loop clock time at 1 sec = 60*1.0 = 60 minutes**
**Tested

Back