Are you using a microsd card other than the recommended 2 or 3?

donnybrook

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've looked through several of the cards recommended and not recommended and reviewed their specs. Lots of them have the same ratings and some of the non-recommended ones have faster read and write speeds.

I saw a few posts on this forum where people were using the Kingston Canvas Go plus: https://shop.kingston.com/products/canvas-go-plus-micro?variant=39392015646912

I don't know a ton about the differences between microsd types but I'm curious if there is a real difference. I can buy a 256GB Sandisk Extreme from BestBuy for $25. I can get the 256GB VIOFO for around $40 after discount buying it with the dashcam from Amazon.

Is it best to stick with the 3 recommended and if so, is it worth paying a $15 premium for the VIOFO brand over the Sandisk Extreme?

Welcome to the club.
I understand your frustration to be “forced” to use a recommended SD Card.
It’s like an automaker saying you can only use Chevron gasoline, and if you don’t you void the warranty.
Of course, any SD Card that meets the required speed / class specifications should work.
But that is not reality.
If you report any type of recording malfunction the first point of resistance you will meet is;
“What SD Card are you using”?
Using a recommended card will stop that seed of doubt from being planted.
Two sayings come to mind.
1.) “You can be right, or you can be happy, but not both”
2.) “If you win an argument with your wife, you still loose”.
-Chuck

Oh yeah, if you didn’t see it here’s a 5% off ($19.50) promo code: (Exp. 1/7/24): PANZER229PRO

I've looked through several of the cards recommended and not recommended and reviewed their specs. Lots of them have the same ratings and some of the non-recommended ones have faster read and write speeds.

I saw a few posts on this forum where people were using the Kingston Canvas Go plus: https://shop.kingston.com/products/canvas-go-plus-micro?variant=39392015646912

I don't know a ton about the differences between microsd types but I'm curious if there is a real difference. I can buy a 256GB Sandisk Extreme from BestBuy for $25. I can get the 256GB VIOFO for around $40 after discount buying it with the dashcam from Amazon.

Is it best to stick with the 3 recommended and if so, is it worth paying a $15 premium for the VIOFO brand over the Sandisk Extreme?
I been using Samsung Evo cards in my older cams, both 2K, A119 V1 and Mini 0826, since late 2015. Zero issues.
Recent upgrade to 2x A119 Mini2s, one cam uses the included in bundled package Viofo 256gb card, and the other, i got separately a Samsung Pro Endurance 256gb card.
Viofo has yet to expand upon their testing methods behind their recommendations.
Note that it seems, Viofo sd cards have 1yr warranty, despite being "Industrial grade" flash.
Samsung cards have 5yr warranty.
I do not recommend any Sandisk products. They fail way to often.

Spend $15 more and buy a memory card from VIOFO. As far as I know, no one has ever complained about the performance of these memory cards.

I been using Samsung Evo cards in my older cams, both 2K, A119 V1 and Mini 0826, since late 2015. Zero issues.
Recent upgrade to 2x A119 Mini2s, one cam uses the included in bundled package Viofo 256gb card, and the other, i got separately a Samsung Pro Endurance 256gb card.
Viofo has yet to expand upon their testing methods behind their recommendations.
Note that it seems, Viofo sd cards have 1yr warranty, despite being "Industrial grade" flash.
Samsung cards have 5yr warranty.
I do not recommend any Sandisk products. They fail way to often.
Not all memory cards that work flawlessly in a single-channel DVR will also work in a three-channel one.
Checked personally. The Samsung Evo Plus memory card, which worked perfectly in the A119 v3, did not work in the T130.

Spend $15 more and buy a memory card from VIOFO. As far as I know, no one has ever complained about the performance of these memory cards.
Performance is not the main concern, its endurance. You will know almost immediately if the card you use is too slow, the cam will complain about it.
Endurance is how long the card last. It can die slow, or fast. It can have corrupt files and the cam will still act like it is working normaly.
And, if you bother to read reviews on Amazon, there are at least a few reports of the much higher cost Viofo cards failing in under 1yr.
They cost are much more (if purchased separately).
Samsung Pro Endurance 256gb $21.99, Viofo 256gb $63.99 (normal prices) that is $42 difference. Not worth it imo.
If they only give 1yr warranty, that says something to me.
For that cost, and advertising about how durable they are, I would expect they match other brands 5yr warranty, or even surpass it with say 7 or 10 yr.

And, if you bother to read reviews on Amazon, there are at least a few reports of the much higher cost Viofo cards failing in under 1yr.
If you only read reviews on Amazon, then there are people who are dissatisfied with absolutely every product sold there.
Well, not a single manufacturer is insured against defects.
I am not forcing anyone to buy this or that memory card. I just gave advice from personal experience. And what to buy and what to use, everyone decides for themselves. Here on the forum, in every topic, a question about memory cards is raised, so there is plenty to choose from.
Moreover, a person has a price difference of 15 dollars. I think you can fork out for it once.
By the way: My oldest memory card from Viofo has been working for 5 years and is not going to die.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P A229 Pro 4