Asking For Too Much? 360 Auto-Start Action / Dash Cam

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the suggestion of the d'Action 360. I'm currently reviewing it and am leaning towards it.

This isn't something I thought of on a whim, I've researched it as much as I can over the past several years because I've had a unique application. Technology just hasn't gotten to the dash cam market at all. Cameras have remained the same since about '17 and they only add on features you don't need. No real improvements since everyone wants a cheap <$200 camera that does everything. See the exact same crap in the CCTV monitoring market. You have to get a <=1080p sensor if you want any type of low-level light capabilities and still it's pathetic.

At first it was for 1 vehicle that always remains open without security ( no door or top '85 Jeep CJ7 ) but now I have a fleet of 5 with my children driving. Not everyone's life situations are the same. 3-4 channel setups in my kids and wife's vehicles, with wiring running all around, just isn't practical right now. It's obvious that 360 in a single unit will never equal having 4 strategic cams but it's the next best thing for my particular circumstance. Instead of pounding desks, and trying to get everyone to bow to your elite setup, it would be better served to understand the reasoning behind the request. We see it all the time even like the mountain bike forum I below to. Members pounding their desks dictating that you have to use their trail-type carbon fiber frame with 29" wheels, drop seat-post, and 4 piston brakes for ALL types of riding even if you're doing bike park downhill otherwise you're an idiot.

My cousin is a lawyer and I've also reviewed this with her. In our municipality, I can edit the goofy 360 video so that it appears normal on anyone's PC. Heck, even post it on Youtube for them to see with their cell phone. It will uphold in court as long as I supply the original video file showing I didn't DeepFake something on it.

I'm editing video all the time and it's not that big of deal.

I'd just get the GoPro 360 for all of us if I didn't have to rely on my kids to start and stop the recording every time they went for a drive.

I wonder how much research you could have done if you really believe that dash cam technology or CCTV technology hasn't advanced over the last six years or that you need a 1080p sensor dash for decent low light capabilities. Perhaps you haven't seen some of the new low light 2K sensors used in more recent dash cams like the popular Sony STARVIS IMX335? Or the low light performance of the new 4K STARVIS 2 IMX678 sensor used in the recently introduced Viofo A139 Pro. There have been many advances in both CCTV and dash cam technology in recent years. 4K CCTV cams and DVRs are common now and prices are coming down but they were rarely seen and very expensive in 2017.

imx335.jpg

I find it interesting that someone who is considering the purchase of 5 $350-$550 360º dash cams for his family "fleet" of vehicles and complaining about those who want a decent basic dash cam for $200 is calling others "elitists".

Instead of pounding desks, and trying to get everyone to bow to your elite setup, it would be better served to understand the reasoning behind the request.

How are people who put together 4 channel DIY dash cam set-ups "elitist"? You are obviously twisting what I said. Nobody is trying to make anyone "bow" to anything, much less some sort of imaginary "elite setup".

The goal of my "rant" was to point out the important need to make dash cam video evidence as easy for anyone and everyone who needs to view it in the event of a legal matter or insurance claim. As I tried to explain, I came to this understanding because of direct personal experience in a complicated criminal legal matter involving the submission of numerous CCTV and dash cam videos over time to law enforcement and variety of other entities. Witnessing all the imaginary scenarios some members postulate about what and how they plan to record and disseminate key video evidence makes it obvious that most have no idea what is really involved if and when you are really faced with such a situation.

If you do purchase one or more of these RAZO dash cams I hope you'll post some of your results and perhaps show us how easy or difficult it is to do so. I do find these 360º dash cams interesting and am genuinely curious to see what they can do outside of a trade show environment and I'm sure others are as well.

I wonder how much research you could have done if you really believe that dash cam technology or CCTV technology hasn't advanced over the last six years or that you need a 1080p sensor dash for decent low light capabilities.

How are people who put together 4 channel DIY dash cam set-ups "elitist"? You are obviously twisting what I said. Nobody is trying to make anyone "bow" to anything, much less some sort of imaginary "elite setup".

The goal of my "rant" was to point out the important need to make dash cam video evidence as easy for anyone and everyone who needs to view it in the event of a legal matter or insurance claim. As I tried to explain, I came to this understanding because of direct personal experience in a complicated criminal legal matter involving the submission of numerous CCTV and dash cam videos over time to law enforcement and variety of other entities.

If you do purchase one or more of these RAZO dash cams I hope you'll post some of your results and perhaps show us how easy or difficult it is to do so. I do find these 360º dash cams interesting and am genuinely curious to see what they can do outside of a trade show environment and I'm sure others are as well.
No, with as quickly as technology develops, low-light tech in these non-pro cameras still suck arse and even in full light their detail blows. It's not hard to see and review.

Correct, you went into a *rant* instead of asking why someone wants something different. If you want to try and sell someone on something, you 1st need to understand where they're coming from so you can relate your message to them. Stop thinking you're the only one with experience in court room video presentation.

If I go this route, then yes I'll post, I would like to hopefully help anyone who is in a similar need.

Willing to spend more money on something like this does not convey *elitism* in any regards. It expresses the acknowledgement that it is a critical tool for aiding in a potential very expensive ordeal. You want to spend $100 less on a Cuisinart, I'm there with you, but if you want to spend $100 less on a device that could save you from a large payout or criminal charges, then I question. Same thing happens in the Jeep Groups I belong to. You want to buy a cheap wrench, then fine, give it a try. You want to buy a cheap jack from Harbor Freight to use while you're under a 4000 lb vehicle, then we're sorry to see you in the obituaries like the last guy who tried it. Elitism? F no. Looking out for a buddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Suck arse"? You think you'll find something better in a 360 degree camera that costs over 500 bucks? Good luck, friend.
No, with as quickly as technology develops, low-light tech in these non-pro cameras still suck arse and even in full light their detail blows. It's not hard to see and review.

Correct, you went into a *rant* instead of asking why someone wants something different. If you want to try and sell someone on something, you 1st need to understand where they're coming from so you can relate your message to them. Stop thinking you're the only one with experience in court room video presentation.

If I go this route, then yes I'll post, I would like to hopefully help anyone who is in a similar need.

Willing to spend more money on something like this does not convey *elitism* in any regards. It expresses the acknowledgement that it is a critical tool for aiding in a potential very expensive ordeal. You want to spend $100 less on a Cuisinart, I'm there with you, but if you want to spend $100 less on a device that could save you from a large payout or criminal charges, then I question. Same thing happens in the Jeep Groups I belong to. You want to buy a cheap wrench, then fine, give it a try. You want to buy a cheap jack from Harbor Freight to use while you're under a 4000 lb vehicle, then we're sorry to see you in the obituaries like the last guy who tried it. Elitism? F no. Looking out for a buddy.

You somehow seem to believe that if you were to spend enough money you could obtain whatever you seek but you are woefully misinformed. The simple fact is you won’t find the fantasy dash cam you are imagining at any price. The dash cam performance you are imagining would require vastly larger sensors and an entirely different class of lenses than what is commonly used in dash cams and action cameras (likely a C-mount rather the current standard of S-mount ) and it’s just not going to happen, although the currently available high performance sensor technology I mentioned would be more than adequate for achieving such results as they come in larger formats. Such a camera would be extremely expensive though which might be fine for someone like you but the main problem is you’d have to tolerate a very large camera attached to your windshield to the point where it would be impractical and for most buyers, unwelcome. There have been a few attempts to build dash cams and action cams with at least one inch sensors and even alternative processors but they have a nasty tendency to overheat when run for long periods which makes them a non starter in dash cams, plus they need those larger specialized lenses I mentioned.

You do strike me as a good candidate for an overpriced gimmicky 360º dash cam (or five of them) but if you are expecting good low light performance and high detail even at $350-$550 a pop, then good luck. And indeed, good luck if you or anyone in your family really needs solid video evidence one day that needs to be reviewed and adjudicated by the appropriate authorities when push comes to shove.

I am not particularly interested in tolerating any more of your insults and name calling so I will have nothing further to do with you from this point forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
360 cameras are moving forward, and i am a little in love with the latest one from insta 360.
BUT ! i am not going to pull that tigger CUZ they are not quite there yet, and also as it is, it is a tall price for something i would at most use 1 hour a month.

For logging a scenic drive in my car, well i would for sure put my Dji osmo action in the car recording 4K/60, problem is there are no scenic place in this little country i feel like driving to.

360º cameras seem like they could be a lot of fun but as practical dash cams they seem to make little sense. They seem like more of a novelty to me; something to play with but not especially useful.

Yep, for sure not in my car i would ever use it, more like a no need to aim action camera.

360º cameras make me think about when 3D TV was supposed to be the next big thing but everyone really just wanted high quality flat screen TV.

I am not particularly interested in tolerating any more of your insults and name calling so I will have nothing further to do with you from this point forward.

Thank goodness, especially since you haven't even once made any sort of suggestion on a camera nor asked me a single question to try and help. You've only hogged this thread to rant like a spoiled brat. Wish you never participated in the first place Marshmellow but seems you're still posting nonsense.

Every forum has the arrogant member who thinks he knows-it-all who loves to have the most post counts. Looks like we found him.

Now go pound sand.

Thank goodness, especially since you haven't even once made any sort of suggestion on a camera nor asked me a single question to try and help. You've only hogged this thread to rant like a spoiled brat. Wish you never participated in the first place Marshmellow but seems you're still posting nonsense.

Every forum has the arrogant member who thinks he knows-it-all who loves to have the most post counts. Looks like we found him.

Now go pound sand.

Still with the adolescent insults and name calling I see. No surprise there. Who the hell would want to help a demanding, abusive character like you out?

Are you so deeply insecure that when someone on a public forum disagrees with the wisdom of your desire to buy a gimmicky dash cam and offers feedback you don't want to hear about producing files that are easily viewed that you need to lash out with vitriol? Apparently so!

Obviously and as usual, entitled, querulous people like you are not interested in logic or facts. Spoiled brats indeed!

You said you were going away but can't help yourself. Like I said, go pound sand, Nancy.

You said you were going away but can't help yourself. Like I said, go pound sand, Nancy.

You want to be an over-the-top provocateur..... what do you expect? It's what you were fishing for. Really though, your impotent insults are really pretty childish.

You want to be an over-the-top provocateur..... what do you expect? It's what you were fishing for. Really though, your impotent insults are really pretty childish.
All of that yapping and you still haven't recommended any type of camera. You still can't even go away like you said you were. You can't do anything right Marshmellow and you are worthless.

Go pound a desk, go pound sand, go pound something.

Last edited:
360º cameras make me think about when 3D TV was supposed to be the next big thing but everyone really just wanted high quality flat screen TV.

Please go tell this to the executives at GoPro, whose MAX model is one of their top selling models, and post their reply to you. I'm needing a good laugh and finally we will have seen you post something worth reading.

We use this same 360 model in our construction industry for legal documentation on our job sites, of conditions and circumstances. You know, the kind were safety is critical, since the risk of injury and/or death, along with lawsuits, is greater than most other lines of work. And yes, it's proven to hold up as evidence in court.

Please go tell this to the executives at GoPro, whose MAX model is one of their top selling models, and post their reply to you. I'm needing a good laugh and finally we will have seen you post something worth reading.

We use this same 360 model in our construction industry for legal documentation on our job sites, of conditions and circumstances. You know, the kind were safety is critical, since the risk of injury and/or death, along with lawsuits, is greater than most other lines of work. And yes, it's proven to hold up as evidence in court.

360º cameras may be popular as gimmicky action cameras which are fine for entertainment purposes or perhaps even as an oddball job site camera (which many pros would likely find questionable for a variety of reasons) but they are not useful or optimal for evidentiary dash cam footage. The GoPro Max, as all 360º action cameras is characterized as a "niche" product. Additionally, you fail to mention that the Max can also capture standard video. Standard video action cameras happen to be far more popular than novelty 360º cams and as such they are often used in broadcast and cinematography by professionals who have no use for 360 degree gimmickry. The GoPro Hero has been by far the best selling model in their line. Get your facts straight.

Last edited:
You could get close to 360 degree coverage in a fairly compact setup using a pair of Mobius cameras back-to-back, with ~180deg lenses installed. Kind of like a DIY Insta 360, but with the auto-start function you are looking for.

Does the 70mai Dash Cam Omni do what you want?

1000002836.jpg

Back