Auto Lock Possible?

LOTL

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just installed the Dashcam today and cant get it to work quite the way i had hoped. I need it to save recordings at the same point in our neighborhood every time i travel past that point.
Right now the only way i can see is to press the Emergency Lock button every time to insure that the footage is saved. The other issue im having is that im saving the video files in 3 minute lengths. The area i need to save the footage of, is only 30-45 seconds away from my home. If i shut the car off before the currently recording 3 minute file is recording, the file gets deleted. I even tried pressing the emergency lock button before shutting off the car, it flashed the Yellow triangle with exclamation point and then went back to the normal display. I shut the car off (and the camera) when it still showed 1:44 on the timer.
Came in the house and hooked it up to my laptop and while the file was created, the length was 0:00.
Im thinking maybe hard wiring it and leave it in parking mode might be the answer. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
when you press the emergency button during recording that file is moved to a sub-folder called RO (Read Only) and all the files in it will not be overwritten unless you format the SD card.
get a spare SD card and before you leave your car replace the card, connect your card with the video to a PC, find the video you need by time (you'll need a PC and SD card reader) and save it somewhere in a good place on your PC.
set a "Loop Recording" to 1min.

borik thanks yes it was in the RO folder after all. A 2nd card may be a good idea but its fairly easy to disconnect the dashcam and bring it in the house. As far as setting the Loop recording to 1 minute, are you thinking it would just be less of a chance of corrupting the recording if it was to finish before shutting the car off or is my situation of mainly wanting a recording that lasts less than a minute the main reason?
Im also thinking it would be beneficial to have the camera for some of the same reasons that everyone else uses one but the primary and most important one now is to deal with the neighborhood issue.

borik thanks yes it was in the RO folder after all. A 2nd card may be a good idea but its fairly easy to disconnect the dashcam and bring it in the house. As far as setting the Loop recording to 1 minute, are you thinking it would just be less of a chance of corrupting the recording if it was to finish before shutting the car off or is my situation of mainly wanting a recording that lasts less than a minute the main reason?
Im also thinking it would be beneficial to have the camera for some of the same reasons that everyone else uses one but the primary and most important one now is to deal with the neighborhood issue.
I'm pretty sure that to mount and dismount a camera too often is a very unpractical idea. at some point it will start dangle on a mount, loose a contact with a GPS if you have one or the video will be tilted sometimes to the left sometimes to the right and that the last thing you want to happen.
I think last video file corrupted could happen in two cases: the capacitors don't hold their capacitance 100% anymore and the camera has a bad power supply. having 1min loop will not lower your chance to get a file corrupted but there is a simple way around: stop the recording first, then turn off the engine.

Back