Autofocus stuck on front cam

Ormy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, the dashcam that cost me £120 in 2019 has been running continuously (with temp extremes of -10C to 50C) for 5 years, I consider that good value, this is not a complaint. I've already bought a A129 pro duo to replace it, so I'm not too bothered about being able to fix the old one but it would be nice to have as a spare or to donate to a relative.

Anyway, the autofocus on the front cam crapped out. Seems to be stuck at a focus point about 3-4m in front of the camera. Rear autofocus works fine. Tried factory reset, tried different (brand new) memory card, tried firmware update, no joy. Anything else I could try? Even if I can't get the autofocus working properly again, if I could just set it permanently to 'infinite distance' that would be of some limited use at least.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

First off, the dashcam that cost me £120 in 2019 has been running continuously (with temp extremes of -10C to 50C) for 5 years, I consider that good value, this is not a complaint. I've already bought a A129 pro duo to replace it, so I'm not too bothered about being able to fix the old one but it would be nice to have as a spare or to donate to a relative.

Anyway, the autofocus on the front cam crapped out. Seems to be stuck at a focus point about 3-4m in front of the camera. Rear autofocus works fine. Tried factory reset, tried different (brand new) memory card, tried firmware update, no joy. Anything else I could try? Even if I can't get the autofocus working properly again, if I could just set it permanently to 'infinite distance' that would be of some limited use at least.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

There's no autofocus it's just fixed focus.
I have the same unit and it is also a little out of focus.
I think it has to do with the fixing method for the lens.
I haven't done it yet but intend to see if I can refocus it. (ie pull it apart!)
A couple of other members have played with this and I believe fixed them.

There's no autofocus it's just fixed focus.

I'm often a bit surprised at how often some dash cam users believe that auto focus is a common function of dash cams when it has never existed at all. Then again, it is somewhat understandable as not everyone is aware of how these cameras work when compared to more sophisticated and more expensive cameras such as DSLRs.

I'm often a bit surprised at how often some dash cam users believe that auto focus is a common function of dash cams when it has never existed at all. Then again, it is somewhat understandable as not everyone is aware of how these cameras work when compared to more sophisticated and more expensive cameras such as DSLRs.

Sorry I just assumed they were similar units internally to those used in mobile phones which all have autofocus. Also the symptoms of my issue looked like autofocus going bad. I'm confused how a fixed focus camera can all of a sudden lose focus.

@Ormy, this can be fixed by manually refocusing the lens. It can be a bit challenging but is quite doable.

Any chance you're can explain how that's done or link to a guide? I've never really disassembled a camera before.

Sorry I just assumed they were similar units internally to those used in mobile phones which all have autofocus. Also the symptoms of my issue looked like autofocus going bad. I'm confused how a fixed focus camera can all of a sudden lose focus.

Mobile phones are sophisticated devices that are far more expensive than dash cams which are basically consumer gadgets by comparison so they have fixed focus lenses. Also, this is for practical reasons too because if dash cams had auto focus lenses they might be focusing on the wrong thing at a critical moment and what you need to capture would be out of focus whereas a fixed focus lens captures more or less everything simultaneously from directly in front of your car out to infinity (or at least for a very long distance)

Fixed focus lenses can go out of focus from expansion and contraction of the lens inside the lens holder due to heat and cold, but usually it just happens in hot weather. Shock and vibration can also be a contributing factor. Some cameras can manifest this problem and some (most) are highly stable.

Any chance you're can explain how that's done or link to a guide? I've never really disassembled a camera before.

This video is for the Viofo A119S but the process will be the same for the A129. I prefer to focus a camera using an external screen if at all possible.

EDIT: To connect your camera to an external monitor for focusing some cameras have an AV out port so you can connect your dash cam directly to a TV or monitor. If your camera has WiFi you can use it to connect your camera to a smartphone or tablet for focusing using the app that works for your camera.

Last edited:
Back