B-124 Installation Location for Infiniti Q50

blazn420

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR750S-2CH, B-124 Battery
Hello all, I am looking to install a DR900S-2CH with B-124 battery pack in my 2015 Infiniti Q50. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where to place the battery pack? I plan to use fuse taps to connect the battery pack to my fuse box which is located on the driver side of the car.

No room, lots of wires already there not enough clearance. Was thinking maybe in the passenger area but no way to route power to the fuse box on the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many other areas, you choose which one sounds more appealing to you:
- under any of the front seats
- glove box
- the trunk
- at the end of the passenger foot well

If none of these places work for you, then return it back and get VicoPower Plus and hard wire it to your car battery. or as one of the other members here suggested in other thread, you can get a bigger car battery if you wish

I definitely don’t want to hardwire it directly to a constant current fuse. Even with the voltage cut-off it’s too much wear and tear on the car battery. I think the passenger footwell is the way to go, just have to pull my dash panels apart to get the battery power cable over to the fuse box.

There you go. You have answered your own question after giving it a little thought.

There you go. You have answered your own question after giving it a little thought.

Yeah, just wanted to see if anyone with this car had done this. [emoji16]

Toyota Ruthorford and Bond installed my system. They put the battery inside the glove box. Good place to hide it and can easily turn it off rather than reaching underneath my seat though under your seat has advantages too.

I was considering getting it hardwired as it's twice as fast to charge, but I don't use Parking Mode all the time since I live in a safe city suburb. My car is a Toyota Aqua (Prius C) Signature Class vehicle (2013 model) which I got from Toyota NZ October 2018 which comes with a 5 year Toyota Signature Class warranty, wooo. My first car for my budget with a warranty brought from the manufacturer themselves. However If Toyota or Toyota Authorized installer didn't install the hardwiring, that would void my Toyota car warranty, so kept it simple and since I don't need the unit powered all the time but do have it on when I'm driving and sometimes in parking mode where it records random people walking past lol.

Overall it's a solid dash cam, the best currently on the market. Better than any Navman product. Though Navman is fine for GPS.

sometimes in parking mode where it records random people walking past lol.
Is there not a movement areas setting that you can play with to reduce this phenomenon? There is on the 750.

Is there not a movement areas setting that you can play with to reduce this phenomenon? There is on the 750.

It does I think it's a scale from 1-10 in Settings. But sometimes a 6 second buffer isn't enough. So I have it set to always record whenever I have it on Parking Mode. I do store my dash cam files and delete whichever files are unnecessary or files I don't want to keep. Sometimes you pick up something cool like someone doing gymnastics or skipping in the parking lot.

Yeah, just wanted to see if anyone with this car had done this.
emoji16.png

Where did you finally installed power bank? Bought the Viofo A129 GPS DUAL and BlackVue B-124. I'm going to install this set in Q50 hybrid. I have electric adjustable seats - no room below seats. No enough room in amrest. Passenger foot well is pokay and installing power bank here is not good idea. Glove box can accomodate power bank, but there is not enough storage capacity in cabin so I don't want to reduce storage capacity.
My idea is to install power bank in trunk compartment. There is also fuse box in trunk so I can hardwire it using fuse bypass.

Where did you finally installed power bank? Bought the Viofo A129 GPS DUAL and BlackVue B-124. I'm going to install this set in Q50 hybrid. I have electric adjustable seats - no room below seats. No enough room in amrest. Passenger foot well is pokay and installing power bank here is not good idea. Glove box can accomodate power bank, but there is not enough storage capacity in cabin so I don't want to reduce storage capacity.
My idea is to install power bank in trunk compartment. There is also fuse box in trunk so I can hardwire it using fuse bypass.

I tried having it in the passenger footwell all the way back and to the left but it was difficult to secure especially when driving on bumpy roads with the sport suspension. Trying it now with the double sided Velcro stuck under the glove box and towards the back. At least this way I can remove it when they change the cabin air filter which is behind the glove box. I tried to hardwire it but it just wouldn’t charge on the switched circuits, I tried the power socket and cigarette lighter circuits. So I’m using the 5A cigarette lighter plug in the center console. I pulled all the center console panels out to run the wires, and I managed to hide all the wiring. My daily commute is over an hour so I get a full charge. I may try to hardwire again in the future.

The Q50 uses low profile mini fuses and the B-124 doesn’t provide a tap in that size, the regular mini tap fits and everything in the circuit works but my battery just wouldn’t charge. I tried looking around for a low profile mini tap but they all were 16AWG and I believe the hardwire cable is 14AWG.

Let me know how your install goes and if you get the hardwire charging working.

The Q50 uses low profile mini fuses and the B-124 doesn’t provide a tap in that size, the regular mini tap fits and everything in the circuit works but my battery just wouldn’t charge. I tried looking around for a low profile mini tap but they all were 16AWG and I believe the hardwire cable is 14AWG.

Let me know how your install goes and if you get the hardwire charging working.

I'm going to install power bank in trunk compartment. There is small storage for first aid kit etc. below floor mat. And I'm going to put power bank somewhere below floor mat.

My Q50 is hybrid version, and there is additional fuse box in trunk. There is empty fuse socket which is powered only in POWER mode - I'm going to connect to this socket.

Unfortunately, this additional fuse box uses low profile fuses. All available bypasses for low profile (micro / Japan) fuses are AWG16. Maximum current for AWG16 sis 10Amps and maximum cable lenght is 7ft. Initially I will connect with 16AWG bypass and will set power bank in Cigarette mode (lowered current). I will use parking mode just 9 hours/day and if Cigarette mode will be enough I will leave it like this. If not, I will try to find solution. One of my ideas is replacing cable in fuse bypass. Another is to hardwire to another source of power.

Cable to the camera will go thru headliner - together with cable to the rear camera.

Another issue is to find suitable place for rear camera. One of assumptions is ability to easy remove camera. Is essential as in some European countries (eg Austria) using dash cameras is forbidden.

I don’t think you can use the cigarette lighter mode if it’s hardwired. And vice versa, it has to be set to whichever power source you are connected to. The mini taps should still work.

I don’t think you can use the cigarette lighter mode if it’s hardwired. And vice versa, it has to be set to whichever power source you are connected to.
What are contraindications against hardwiring and using in cigarette mode?

The manual says something about overheating?

I don’t think you can use the cigarette lighter mode if it’s hardwired. And vice versa, it has to be set to whichever power source you are connected to. The mini taps should still work.
I use “cigarette mode” hardwired just to lower the charging current without any issues. ;)

There you go then.

The B-124 is located in the center console where there is also a cigarette lighter socket for power. Since my car is kept in a secure garage I just pop the lid on the console and turn off the battery power. However, I would like to add my vote for g-fencig so that the parking mode can be turned off when the car is in a secure location.

Back