Backward facing?

Curious

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking of having a second Pano II attached to the windshield but facing backwards. I'd like to record what's happening out the back and side windows if possible. Just wondering if there's any reason not to do this. I haven't gotten my first Pano II yet and I was thinking of ordering two at once.

You could do it, going to use a fair bit of screen real estate though, for what you have in mind maybe a möbius or Innov style camera would be a better choice for the second camera

Last edited by a moderator:
I might want better night capabilities, but the size of Mobius is very appealing too. I may look at smartphones too, if any have good night abilities.

I might want better night capabilities, but the size of Mobius is very appealing too. I may look at smartphones too, if any have good night abilities.

I have made "thousands" of side-by-side tests. Mobius B- lens with v0.59 FW has almost same night-vision capabilities as Panorama II, very little advantage in favour of Panorama II ( especially with 21mbpi bit-rate ), but its not that marginal and "average Joe" might not see this difference at all.

Panorama II ( v1.08.05 ) vs Mobius-B ( v0.59 ) vs Innovv C1 ( v01-20131206 )
Night, Mobius-B lens v0.59 vs Panorama II v1.08.05 vs v1.11.09 ( Beta )

Thats exactly what I did.

I bought my first Pano II back in Nov of 2013. Ended up buying another Pano March 2014 from the same seller this time got the Pano S. Has some nice upgrades and use that in my rear window. I liked the idea of having two of the same camera so that switching power cords and GPS units are the same. Also with having extra mounts to put in my other car when I drive that.

My original idea was to mount it in the front, to try and capture out the side windows too, at least the rear sides.

Has some nice upgrades and use that in my rear window. I liked the idea of having two of the same camera so that switching power cords and GPS units are the same.

I just ordered a Pano II S for front. I guess you are saying it's better except missing the red button. I don't know what the red button does.

Mobius B- lens with v0.59 FW has almost same night-vision capabilities as Panorama II, very little advantage in favour of Panorama II ( especially with 21mbpi bit-rate ), but its not that marginal and "average Joe" might not see this difference at all.

Great. I will probably go with that to save money. Mobius might work for some indoor surveillance I want to do. My main concern is the angle not being wide enough. Are they still planning a wider angle version? I don't know if I could wait long.

The red button is on the end of the power cord that plugs into your lighter. It was a easy way to turn on/off without unplugging the cord. When "on" the end would light up RED

Curious, on night vision capabilities and wide angle requirement, have you tried mounting your existing cam lens facing backwards? Is there enough low light sensitivity and is angle wide enough?

Curious, on night vision capabilities and wide angle requirement, have you tried mounting your existing cam lens facing backwards? Is there enough low light sensitivity and is angle wide enough?
The angle wide is ok.
Many korean use panorama as a rear carmera.

Great. I will probably go with that to save money. Mobius might work for some indoor surveillance I want to do. My main concern is the angle not being wide enough. Are they still planning a wider angle version? I don't know if I could wait long.

Mobius B-lens FOV is OK. If you go even more wide, - then all objects also go further and it is much harder to read nubmerplates. Besides, Mobius has two options to chose from menu: 1080-standard and 1080-L ( large ). I think 1080p-standard is enough, but you can experiment yourself and see what's bets settings for you.

We are facing here few challenges:

- tinted or not tinted rear windows
My car has full size rear "curtain / sun shades" and same is for rear side doors, so I do have so called "tinted" effect ;) and rear camera is mounted behind sun-shade facing clear windows, but for those who use film-tinted windows, - this will be more problematic.

- shooting at day or night ?

Daytime of course there is no difference if recording front or rear. Issue comes when its dusk or night.
No matter which dashcam to use, - they all face those challenges at dark, especially for rear camera, because as you mentioned: rear of car has always less surrounding light than front one.. Most important is to see which CMOS sensor is used and how FW is tuned to low-light recording.
For cars with tinted rear windows is best to adjust EV ( maybe also a brightness ) much higher, but unfortunately Panorama II does not have this options at the moment. Hope in future they will add them.
Good would be if people could adjust EV, brightness etc colour settings from GUI of Panorama themselves.

Last edited:
For cars with tinted rear windows is best to adjust EV ( maybe also a brightness ) much higher, but unfortunately Panorama II does not have this options at the moment. Hope in future they will add them.
Good would be if people could adjust EV, brightness etc colour settings from GUI of Panorama themselves.

I agree the tint could be the issue. Mine are film-tinted, but less tint than most cars have (medium tint with good visibility to eyes, not dark).

I am OK with videos that appear dark out of the camera, if the camera was good enough to capture the data, so I can manually adjust a video and see more detail. It would be very nice in the interface, as you say, but it is more important that data can be viewed with adjustments.

I agree the tint could be the issue. Mine are film-tinted, but less tint than most cars have (medium tint with good visibility to eyes, not dark).

I am OK with videos that appear dark out of the camera, if the camera was good enough to capture the data, so I can manually adjust a video and see more detail. It would be very nice in the interface, as you say, but it is more important that data can be viewed with adjustments.

Maybe below you will find some useful tips ans answers

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...-from-cmos-using-video-editing-software.4720/

Back