Be interviewed by AP reporter?

APMilwaukee

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a reporter with The Associated Press in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA. I never thought much about dash cams until that recent meteor strike in Russia that was captured on dozens of dash cams. I heard the reason so many people have them over there is to protect themselves in cases of road rage, document accidents, etc. That sounded like such a good idea I wondered why they weren't more common in the US.

Before I pitch a story idea to my editor I'm hoping to hear from a few of you (including, if possible, anyone from Wisconsin). I'd like to ask why you bought a dash cam (or are considering buying one); how much you paid; how easy it was to install; how well it works; whether you've used the video in an insurance claim or accident report, etc.

The story will focus on what dash cams do, why they might be useful, whether they work as well as advertised, whether there are privacy concerns, etc. It will also include quotes from those of you who agree to be interviewed. The story will run on our national wire, meaning it'll be in hundreds of newspapers and thousands of websites across North America and beyond.

If you're interested in being interviewed please email me as soon as you see this, at dramde(at)ap.org. Thanks.

--Dinesh Ramde
AP Milwaukee

Those of you US based, or not :mrgreen: , just talked to Mr. AP reporter here and he's legit. He has a vision, in the least an idea, and I support it. If you guys want, shoot him a PM, I'm pretty sure he'll be interested in talking with you.

Personally I would find the purported article to be beneficial to the growth of the industry, because it is getting positive information out there on the market.

DashCamMan, I know I'm new and have no reason to suggest anything to you, but this would be a good opportunity to get possitive information out there about Dash Cams, as well as this website IF he were to use it in his article. :)

No comment :geek:

I don't think people want to have them because people look at you while driving around with it.

flank said:

I don't think people want to have them because people look at you while driving around with it.

What a ridiculous comment

I have 2 in my car and you cant actually see them so why would someone be looking at me.

They would more likely be looking at the idiot drivers we are trying to capture on camera.

They are insurance against false claims in the event of an accident in which fault is denied.

Hillbilly said:
They are insurance against false claims in the event of an accident in which fault is denied.

Which has happened to me at the very least, 3 times in the past 5 years. Total tally of close to $15,000.00 USD in damages to their and my vehicles that's been paid out. Most recently a police related incident that has come directly from my pocket totaling so far, $2,500.00 and my drivers license in just 2 months time.

All of which would have been avoided had I had a dash cam.

What I find though, here in the US, is that people are so completely worried about their privacy. Even though the US government has obliterated those boundaries several years ago, and for some reason no one has seemed to notice just how little privacy they have at all anymore.

My reason for buying a cam? Simple. There are far too many people doing stupid things around the commercial truck I drive. Texting, doing their make-up, reading books, texting, sleepy drivers and...did I mention texting? My CDL is my lunch card. I don't eat if it's revoked. The camera is my insurance policy to prove that the other guy is at fault since I am always doing my best to follow the rules of the road and be safe.

Many Americans think dashcams are "creepy." I guess it's something new and different so they just automatically think it's creepy. Yet, Americans don't seem to have a problem with action cams and posting videos on Facebook, Twitter, etc. so their lives are probably already being filmed. And like WhiteEightBall said, there's not much privacy left here in the USA with the US government already spying on their own people and violating the Constitution...ironically even on AP journalists!

My first thought of getting a dashcam was well over a year when I saw this video: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/16/this ... all-times/
The dashcam is mainly to protect myself in an accident. I think the odds of getting in an accident is increasing daily with all the distracted driving going on. And with the bad economy there are a lot of people driving around without insurance who will lie or leave the scene.

The other reason is it's fun to record a road trip and look back at some of the crazy incidents that happen around you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of years ago I was involved in an accident with my motorbike where a car decided to U-turn right in front of me. Driver of the car never admitted. Claimed he was turning into a side street off the main road and that I was driving at excessive speed and in the wrong lane. 2 years later, court case is still ongoing and my bike is still wrecked. I thought if I had a dash cam installed on the bike this would have been over in less than a day.

So, I bought a dash cam for my car. I don't afford to spend much time without this car (I use it for work) so need quick resolutions if something similar were to happen with it. Moreover, a year ago someone skidded and scraped the entire right side of my car while it was parked and kept on going. Imagine my surprise in the morning. Luckily the driver's parents were good folks and forced him to report the incident to the police so as soon as I entered the police station they were already waiting for me and I had that cleared up quickly. Therefore my dash cam had to have a good parking mode too.

These were my main motivations. Added to the above, as mentioned previously, so much distracted driving and impatience. Some people do crazy things in slow moving traffic, especially when it is hot in the middle of summer and they don't have aircon in the car.

I hit a car, it was only low speed bump, queuing at a roundabout saw him start to go, looked for my gap and he hadn't gone. Silly mistake which I'm sure quite a few people have done and totally my fault? No injuries (he said he was fine), or so I thought...............Seems his car is now a write off and he requires physio and psychological assistance (don't you just love no win no fee arseholes :evil: )

I decided to get the cam, as the guy claimed I hit him at 20mph. Had I had the cam I it would have shown I only travelled about 2 metres and couldn't have achieved the speed he claims. Also had a woman stop on the middle lane of the motorway recently, after she realised her junction was coming up and she wouldn't get past the lorry on the inside lane in time :roll:

Funny how we all decided to get these things AFTER all crazy nasty garbage happens to us. :evil:

Hillbilly said:
flank said:

I have 2 in my car and you cant actually see them so why would someone be looking at me.

I have a tons of gadgets in my car and people always stare. I purposely don't have tinted windows because its safer when I drive. People can see through my windows and see my radar, tablet, camera, etc.

But now I don't care if they stare.

Why would one need 2 cameras? Must be a lot of bad drivers in hillbilly country. Watch this, hold my beer comes to mind.

flank said:
Hillbilly said:
flank said:

I have a tons of gadgets in my car and people always stare. I purposely don't have tinted windows because its safer when I drive. People can see through my windows and see my radar, tablet, camera, etc.

But now I don't care if they stare.

Why would one need 2 cameras? Must be a lot of bad drivers in hillbilly country. Watch this, hold my beer comes to mind.

Dont be offensive My nickname is from part of my surname. Flank comes to mind as part of the north end of a south bound horse.

You should be driving your car not playing with gadgets.. where do you park it Im short of a few things and my big screwdriver just loves car door locks LOL

I have a rear camera for people driving in carparks playing on their tablets and driving into the rear of my car. A front camera has a few problems picking that up or is that a bit hard for you to understand

flank said:

The Dukes of Hazard has a lot to answer for :D

OP are you after footage and if so, are you going to edit the content?

Back