Benefits of 4K UHD Dashcams

Jeff_Vantrue

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
United States
A 4K UHD dashcam provides a superior recording experience and can be a useful tool for documenting your travels on the road. Some of the most notable benefits include:
1. High resolution: A 4K UHD dashcam captures footage at a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels, which is four times the resolution of a 1080p Full HD dashcam. This means that you get much clearer and sharper footage, which is useful in case of an accident or incident on the road.

2. Wide field of view: Many 4K UHD dashcams come with a wide-angle lens, which provides a larger field of view compared to standard dashcams. This means that you can capture more of the surroundings while driving, which can be helpful in case of an accident or if you want to document your trip.

3. Enhanced night vision: Some 4K UHD dashcams come with enhanced night vision capabilities, which means that they can capture clearer footage in low-light conditions. This is particularly useful if you do a lot of driving at night or in poorly lit areas.

4. Advanced features: Many 4K UHD dashcams come with advanced features such as GPS tracking, parking mode, and G-sensors. GPS tracking allows you to track your vehicle's location and speed, while parking mode allows the dashcam to record even when your vehicle is parked. G-sensors detect sudden movements and can automatically save footage in case of an accident or collision.

How is the Video So Clear?​

4K dashcam video is so clear because it has a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels, which is four times the resolution of a 1080p Full HD dashcam. This means that there are more pixels on the screen, resulting in a sharper and more detailed image.

More pixels mean a higher pixel density, and smaller pixels mean more accurate color and image depth. There are 8.3 million pixels present in each frame of the video, compared to the 2.1 million pixels in 1080p HD. So a 4K dashcam means that you can get a clearer, better-defined picture and see more details in the footage, such as license plate numbers, road signs, and even the facial expressions of other drivers. The sharper images and more realistic footage can be particularly helpful in case of an accident or incident on the road, as they can provide better evidence of what happened.

fac2e4_4f05647ae3b44b4aa7ecedd2f7dbe91c~mv2.jpg

A 4K UHD dashcam provides a superior recording experience and can be a useful tool for documenting your travels on the road. Some of the most notable benefits include:
1. High resolution: A 4K UHD dashcam captures footage at a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels, which is four times the resolution of a 1080p Full HD dashcam. This means that you get much clearer and sharper footage, which is useful in case of an accident or incident on the road.

2. Wide field of view: Many 4K UHD dashcams come with a wide-angle lens, which provides a larger field of view compared to standard dashcams. This means that you can capture more of the surroundings while driving, which can be helpful in case of an accident or if you want to document your trip.

3. Enhanced night vision: Some 4K UHD dashcams come with enhanced night vision capabilities, which means that they can capture clearer footage in low-light conditions. This is particularly useful if you do a lot of driving at night or in poorly lit areas.

4. Advanced features: Many 4K UHD dashcams come with advanced features such as GPS tracking, parking mode, and G-sensors. GPS tracking allows you to track your vehicle's location and speed, while parking mode allows the dashcam to record even when your vehicle is parked. G-sensors detect sudden movements and can automatically save footage in case of an accident or collision.

How is the Video So Clear?​

4K dashcam video is so clear because it has a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels, which is four times the resolution of a 1080p Full HD dashcam. This means that there are more pixels on the screen, resulting in a sharper and more detailed image.

More pixels mean a higher pixel density, and smaller pixels mean more accurate color and image depth. There are 8.3 million pixels present in each frame of the video, compared to the 2.1 million pixels in 1080p HD. So a 4K dashcam means that you can get a clearer, better-defined picture and see more details in the footage, such as license plate numbers, road signs, and even the facial expressions of other drivers. The sharper images and more realistic footage can be particularly helpful in case of an accident or incident on the road, as they can provide better evidence of what happened.

fac2e4_4f05647ae3b44b4aa7ecedd2f7dbe91c~mv2.jpg
Which Dashcam are you referring to that has these features?

Your example video doesn't appear to be in 4K and only runs for 5 seconds.
I changed the settings for HD but I only get 360p.

What sensor is being used?

Last edited:
I think this is the cam.

Well i do think increased resolution is the way to go too, and i am looking forward to trying my first 4K system, even if the one i will get " soon" are based on the same sensor used by so many other 4K cameras today.

Regarding the Vantrue X4S, well it is not unknown that the way of mounting are no favorite of mine, and with a suction cup too i cant even mount it where i like to ( on the dotted area on top of my windscreen in front of mirror )
So a system like that i would have to mount in a more visible place which i would not like.

This kind of camera, i do think are the ones you often see in dashcam videos, and then then accident happen the camera swing up and just film the sky, or get tilted to a side and record crooked footage.
Thats my main concern with this kind of systems / mount, now it is of course not something i can test as i can not crash my car, but the kind of mount do trigger my apprehension.

My E2 camera sample, well it is on the same kind of mount and are doing very fine, i actually like it a bit extra as it work with a memory card that absolutely do not work in any other camera.

Back