Best HD cam for 200F storage temperature

xrcal

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I'm searching for a HD camera for the nice Miami summer 8-) (200F storage temperature). Average or good picture quality at night is a must, and G sensor. I haven't been able to find any camera with these features in my two week research. Any idea? Thanks a lot.

Hi xrcal,

200F storage temperature (93C) is very high. I have not seen any camera claim that temperature. The highest I have seen is the VicoVation Vico-TF2 Premium. Operating temperature is 0C to 75C and storage temperature is -20C to 85C. Not sure how it performs in real life in these extreme temperatures. Picture quality is very good in the day, average at night (look at videos with little ambient light). Comes with a g-sensor as well.

It costs $270 from love.taiwan on eBay.

Perhaps there is another camera with a higher rated temperature but I don't recall seeing any.

Hi, DashCamMan, thanks a lot for your fast reply. I found on eBay a dash-cam whit: Storage temperature: -22° to +176° F Operating temperature: -4° to +158° F (They are really talking about Fahrenheit or Celsius? ) (article name "DASHBOARD CAMERA WINDSHIELD DASH CAM SAFETY ACCIDENT RECORDER AUTOMOBILE SYSTEM" bran?????) No G sensor, no parking mode. I hope someone can develop a similar cam with all the features that we usually need nowadays :cry:

mine does -25c to 70c, I think beyond that is probably very hard to find something that can work at such high temps

Thanks!!!! I'm not sure if I'm going to buy two Vico DS2, from the same brand, VicoVation, as DashCamMan suggest. The Vico DS2 and the Vico TF2 have the same storage temp (-20°C ~ 85°C), but they have a official "dealer" in California, and the Vico DS2 is for sale there at $189 USD.(I need two dash-cams!!!!) But the Vico TF2 maybe have better image :? I'm going to search for some YouTube posts to compare image quality.

xrcal said:
I'm going to search for some YouTube posts to compare image quality.

use that as a guide maybe, YouTube re-encodes the video and generally makes a mess of it, good news I suppose is the actual video will look better than any footage you find on YouTube

Hi xrcal,

You are right about the Vico DS2, I didn't realize it had the same temp specs. The TF2 does have better image quality but I'm not sure if it is worth nearly $80 more. Not much info on these cams outside of Taiwan, so if you get either one, please let us know how it is.

Most other dash cams have a max rated temp of 70C like jokiin mentioned.

DashCamMan said:
Most other dash cams have a max rated temp of 70C like jokiin mentioned.

I'm trying to think of the application where you'd need to have a cam at 93c, seems awfully high, we get some shocking high temps here but even in our heat (47c/117f this summer) the ambient temps inside the vehicle don't get up that high, high 60's maybe

In Miami It’s not just the heat, it’s the humidity, and we travel a lot to California (134 °F / 57 °C). Better to be prepared :D

I think as jokiin said, over 70C maybe is just marketing.
I don't see any problem living in Miami if you will mount the camera anywhere but except direct sun. Only under direct sun you will have such high temperatures. Even if you will let the car all day in the sun, inside it will be no more than 65C.
If you will mount at the very high position of the windshield or if your car have that central small dots over the rear mirror, mount it there.
If you will buy a camera with suction cup you will lose a lot of space and the camera will be down to the car roof so think about some camera with sticking mounting system not suction cup.
Here are some bad mounting which are exposing the camera under direct sun:
static.pepboys.com_images_productImages_79004100_4Sight_DashCam_lifestyle.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.modifry.com/products/mounts/camera/3in_to_windshield.jpg
i22.photobucket.com_albums_b322_i3lakeintegra_gopro_20mount_IMG_4302_zps8b0fdf42.jpg

tornatrix.net_wp_content_uploads_2012_05_Bloggie_005.jpg
<< how stupid can be somebody to mount this?
[Broken External Image]:http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/07/DashCam-504px.jpg
www.dieselboss.com_camera_db3_camera_windshield_mount.jpg

Here are better mounting examples:
www.9thgencivic.com_forum_attachments_audio_video_navigation_12993e0792ecd1870a7da0feb01236429.jpg

img593.imageshack.us_img593_722_84976160.jpg
<< Itronics dashcam

I hope you got the idea. It is easy to find a picture with bad mounted camera than a proper one.
So buy a dash cam which not have heat problems from the factory and just hide it from direct sun by mounting at the most top position you can. You must only consider the lens to be under the windshield wipers cleaning area.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi, Mtz , thanks a lot for the advice!!!

And thanks to jokiin too, I hope the real images are better than the ones on YouTube (almost all images from all cameras look like sandpaper :lol: )

Just wanted to update this thread. The camera that comes closest to the 200F storage temperature (based on manufacturer claims ;) ) is the Lukas LK-7900 Ace. Max storage temperature is 90C or 194F. Max operating temperature is 80C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back