Black and White Dashcam?

gordon861

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of any company that produces a B&W dashcam?

My reasoning is that in truth you don't really care what colour the car is that causes the accident at night, instead you just need footage of the incident. With modern CCTV cameras they can switch to a B&W mode and work down to silly lux values and produce a usable image, so why not do the same with an in-car system too?

I'm currently using a DR300G which works but on unlit roads it's not so good.

(warning robust language in video)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen a dash cam that does this. My old DIY dash cam set-up did this because I used a CCTV camera connected to an external recorder. It was brilliant at night - it's the one thing I really miss about it! I find the convenience of an all-in-one unit designed for the job mostly outweighs that benefit though.

I do notice that a lot of the night-time performance problems with dash cams is down to the processor and also the video compression being too aggressive and clipping the dark areas to black. I see night-time details on the screen of my dash cam that get missed out in the recording.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen any black and white cameras. But note that many of these dash cams use quite similar components as CCTV cameras. So there might be one out there that has a Black and White setting. If I come across one, I will post.

Back