Blackvue DR650 Hardwire question with powermagic pro

imalazeeass

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
I finally got into the dash cam scene and got myself a 2 channel DR650 with the powermagic pro. I intend to hardwire it for parking mode and have a question in terms of choosing the fuse. I understand that you should avoid any fuses related to safetey, and I also have a tool to test for fuses that are on (the tool that lights up). The only question I have before I start installing is whether or not the number of amps matters when I choose a fuse. Do I have to choose a fuse that is 5 amps or less or can I choose one that is 10, 20, or even 30 as long as it provides me the correct power when the car is off?

Thanks for your help.

Any will do Probably a higher rated one will affect the circuit its on less Use an addafuse but make sure you fit it correctly The wire goes to the out end of the fuse you put it in. DO NOT STUFF WIRES DOWN THE SIDE OF AN EXISTING FUSE

Thanks for your reply. So if I had an option to choose a higher or lower amp, I should choose one that's higher? I will be using an add a fuse.

Thanks for your reply. So if I had an option to choose a higher or lower amp, I should choose one that's higher? I will be using an add a fuse.

Doesnt really matter Most fuses are 10 or more so just pick one The camera will only draw 2 amps or less

Thanks, you saved me a lot of time. Since I have this thread open, if I decide down the line to stop using my powermagic pro but want to hardwire the camera to only come on when the car is on, would this be the correct method?

1. Purchase attwood marine 12v adapter LINK
2. Connect the camera socket to adapter and connect the red wire to an ACC fuse (with an add a fuse) and the black to ground?

Thanks, you saved me a lot of time. Since I have this thread open, if I decide down the line to stop using my powermagic pro but want to hardwire the camera to only come on when the car is on, would this be the correct method?

1. Purchase attwood marine 12v adapter LINK
2. Connect the camera socket to adapter and connect the red wire to an ACC fuse (with an add a fuse) and the black to ground?
Yes that will do it I have my camera connected through a PM and use one of those to plug it into.

I'll add that if you want to hardwire the camera to only work when the ignition is on, the fuse for the rear wiper is a good one to piggyback using an add-a-fuse.

So I've found that it is extremely difficult to plug the fuses into the add a fuse adapter and even more difficult to remove the fuses once it is plugged in. Do you guys have any tips on plugging in and removing the fuses from the adapter? I've tried using pliers and just about sliced my finger open when it slipped. Ridiculous.

Do you mean installing the 2 fuses into the add-a-fuse? That was very easy for me, and removing them was no problem either.

Are you sure you are using the correct size fuse?

Are you using the correct fuses There are two sizes Standard and Mini Probably addafuse use minis Also fit the addafuse with the wire coming from the "out" end of the fuse

Yes, it turns out the add a fuse I purchased on Amazon just happened to be extremely tight. This was confirmed with all of the comments posted. I suppose I should have read them first. Here's a warning for those looking to purchase an add a fuse on Amazon, avoid the following product below. You can muscle it in eventually, but trust me it's not worth the hassle. I have successfully hard wired my BMW M235i. I ended up switching to MultiSafer as this does not interfere with the auto start/stop of my car as the powermagic pro does. Thanks all for your help!

Add a fuse you should avoid: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00K17M2IU

Bizarre. I used a "Autostar" branded add-a-fuze, and had no issues. This seller has add-a-fuses for standard, mini or micro type fuses, so make sure you check which fuse you plan on using!

Standard size = https://www.ebay.com/itm/191286560620

Yes, it turns out the add a fuse I purchased on Amazon just happened to be extremely tight. This was confirmed with all of the comments posted. I suppose I should have read them first. Here's a warning for those looking to purchase an add a fuse on Amazon, avoid the following product below. You can muscle it in eventually, but trust me it's not worth the hassle. I have successfully hard wired my BMW M235i. I ended up switching to MultiSafer as this does not interfere with the auto start/stop of my car as the powermagic pro does. Thanks all for your help!

Add a fuse you should avoid: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00K17M2IU

That is a Mini fuse unit sounds like you tried to force normal size ones into it. With all the cameras and car accessories I have fitted have never ever had trouble fitting the correct fuses in holder Or did you have trouble putting it into the car for the same reason. They only fit in the correct slots

Did you fit it the correct way round One way it works as a fuse the other way its useless as a fuse

It is the right fuse because the fuse from the car is exactly identical to the fuse that the add-a-fuse kit came with. My vehicle uses mini fuses. It's just unnecessarily tight.

Edit: Answered my own question!

Last edited:
Back