BlendMount mod for Viofo

72guy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did the windshield mount on my wife’s Honda. For various reasons I wanted to use the BlendMount mirror mount on my truck. BlendMount doesn’t make mounts for the Viofo cameras. They do make mounts for the GoPro.

I used some 1/8” aluminum 1” x 2”, a 1/4” x 20 GoPro camera adapter, and some 3M double sided tape. After I cut my aluminum, I drilled and tapped it for the GoPro adapter, and then attached the Viofo GPS module with the two sided tape. I haven’t painted it yet but it turned out ok.

The second pic is my first attempt where I wanted the ability to separate the GPS module from the attachment plate using 3M Dual Lock tape. I used a photography cheese plate as a base. The thickness of the cheese plate combined with the thickness of the Dual Lock made the whole mount look too bulky.

Attachments

• 7615A479-B3B7-4534-AC57-4402FE253A85.jpeg
    7615A479-B3B7-4534-AC57-4402FE253A85.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 72B98499-17EF-4CC6-9B08-7817EB88619F.jpeg
    72B98499-17EF-4CC6-9B08-7817EB88619F.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 57
I would assume that this would introduce additional vibration, which would degrade the image quality.

Could you share some night videos so we could see if the image is blurrier?

I did the windshield mount on my wife’s Honda. For various reasons I wanted to use the BlendMount mirror mount on my truck. BlendMount doesn’t make mounts for the Viofo cameras. They do make mounts for the GoPro.

I used some 1/8” aluminum 1” x 2”, a 1/4” x 20 GoPro camera adapter, and some 3M double sided tape. After I cut my aluminum, I drilled and tapped it for the GoPro adapter, and then attached the Viofo GPS module with the two sided tape. I haven’t painted it yet but it turned out ok.

The second pic is my first attempt where I wanted the ability to separate the GPS module from the attachment plate using 3M Dual Lock tape. I used a photography cheese plate as a base. The thickness of the cheese plate combined with the thickness of the Dual Lock made the whole mount look too bulky.

If vibration does indeed present a problem for this installation I would suggest adding an additional attachment point between the mounting arm and the sensor housing using some Dual Lock tape for added stability.

mount.jpeg

Yep, the potential for vibration is always brought up when using mirror mounts for cameras. My first thought is that any vibration would probably show itself in my rear view mirror. Which I have no vibration at all. My second thought was of the camera hanging out at the end of the mount. The long moment arm with the camera hanging off the end certainly makes one wonder. But, to that point, the BlendMount is literally rock solid. From where the mount attaches to the mirror arm, the joints of each section of the mount, and the attachment of the camera to the mount. Nothing budges. That being said, I do like Dashmellow’s idea of the Dual Lock for added stability/support. At $45 for a one sided 10’ roll of Dual Lock, I need to use it for something.

I’ll try to post a video in the future and my overall satisfaction with the mount. By the way, the reason I went this route was because that huge growth in the center of my windshield that houses the mirror, speaker, sensors, and who knows what else. Well, that blocked part of the cameras picture. If I mounted below the windshield console, I end up with a large part of the windshield being blocked.

It's certainly an innovative solution for the camara mount for such an irrational design in that car.

Double sided tape may unglue over time attached to the limited surface area of the speaker grill above, especially in high humidity and high heat.

You could also try a zip tie from the elbow of the Blend Mount nearest the camera through the speaker grill above and back around. If you get that elbow a little higher (flush with the speaker grill above) the zip tie should eliminate any additional vibration coming off that long arm. The zip tie shouldn't need to carry a lot of weight since the mount is fairly solid, it's just for added stability.

Double sided tape may unglue over time attached to the limited surface area of the speaker grill above, especially in high humidity and high heat.

If you are not familiar with 3M Dual Lock tape (also referred to as fasteners) you may be surprised at how well it works. It is literally designed to replace screws and bolts in certain installations.

The long moment arm with the camera hanging off the end certainly makes one wonder. But, to that point, the BlendMount is literally rock solid.

I can tell you from long time experience that although an installation like that may seem rock solid it may not be when you carefully examine your videos, especially under certain road conditions you may encounter. See how it goes.
If it were me, I would secure the mount regardless. Of course, I live on a bumpy mountain road so I've learned that you can never have a mount that is too solid but the philosophy applies everywhere else, one way or another.

It's certainly an innovative solution for the camara mount for such an irrational design in that car.

You could also try a zip tie from the elbow of the Blend Mount nearest the camera through the speaker grill above and back around. If you get that elbow a little higher (flush with the speaker grill above) the zip tie should eliminate any additional vibration coming off that long arm. The zip tie shouldn't need to carry a lot of weight since the mount is fairly solid, it's just for added stability.
Thanks for the zip tie suggestion. Regarding 3M double sided tape and 3M Dual Lock fastener tape. The double sided 3M 5952 tape is the same product Viofo uses with their camera kits. It’s rated to 250*F. The reusable Dual Lock is rated to 200* - 220*F.

Your point about the speaker and reduced surface area is well taken. The first version of the mod that I did, I was concerned about that with all the holes in the cheese plate. I ended up filling all but the center holes with liquid metal epoxy in order to increase the surface area. In hindsight, had I stuck with the original mod, it wasn’t necessary to fill the holes. After removing the GPS module from the Viofo clear plastic windshield mount. And then removing the double sided tape from the module itself. Let me tell you, that stuff sticks like stink on s%*t.

The same holds true with the Dual Lock. Although it’s temperature rating is slightly lower than the double sided tape, it’s also difficult to remove. On my wife’s car, before installing her windshield mount, I had to move her E-ZPass transponder. It was held in place with two small strips of 250 Dual Lock. I was able to remove the strips, with a little effort, and reuse them to relocate the transponder. They seemed to stick to the new location like they were new. However, the Dual Lock had been in place for 7 years. Very good stuff.

Attachments

• E848EAD3-EFCE-4C26-A143-0281C4392B25.jpeg
    E848EAD3-EFCE-4C26-A143-0281C4392B25.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 18
  • FE4B95CA-2B2C-49F5-8BC4-80BC5353937C.jpeg
    FE4B95CA-2B2C-49F5-8BC4-80BC5353937C.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 23962DF1-CD45-42E4-AF6E-B939378613F2.jpeg
    23962DF1-CD45-42E4-AF6E-B939378613F2.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I can tell you from long time experience that although an installation like that may seem rock solid it may not be when you carefully examine your videos, especially under certain road conditions you may encounter. See how it goes.
If it were me, I would secure the mount regardless. Of course, I live on a bumpy mountain road so I've learned that you can never have a mount that is too solid but the philosophy applies everywhere else, one way or another.
Recommendation noted.
Thank you

Yep, the potential for vibration is always brought up when using mirror mounts for cameras. My first thought is that any vibration would probably show itself in my rear view mirror. Which I have no vibration at all. My second thought was of the camera hanging out at the end of the mount. The long moment arm with the camera hanging off the end certainly makes one wonder. But, to that point, the BlendMount is literally rock solid. From where the mount attaches to the mirror arm, the joints of each section of the mount, and the attachment of the camera to the mount. Nothing budges. That being said, I do like Dashmellow’s idea of the Dual Lock for added stability/support. At $45 for a one sided 10’ roll of Dual Lock, I need to use it for something. Information here and here!

I’ll try to post a video in the future and my overall satisfaction with the mount. By the way, the reason I went this route was because that huge growth in the center of my windshield that houses the mirror, speaker, sensors, and who knows what else. Well, that blocked part of the cameras picture. If I mounted below the windshield console, I end up with a large part of the windshield being blocked.
I also think that BlendMount is a reliable company with good products!

As was suggested by @CuriousGeorge and @Dashmellow, I secured the end of the BlendMount to the speaker grill. I used a small zip tie instead of the Dual Lock fastener. This was due to the limited surface area at the end of the mount for the Dual Lock to adhere to.

I wanted to run the zip lock longitudinally through the speaker grill and around the screw in the GoPro adapter. This would have totally concealed the zip tie. However, the center holes in the grill are solid in order to give the grill some rigidity. I had to run the zip tie horizontally through the grill holes either side of center and around the arm of the BlendMount. Not ideal but you’ll never notice it unless you’re looking for it.

A picture is worth a thousand words comes to mind. I’ll post a pic for anyone who is interested. Bottom line, there is absolutely no movement in that portion of the mount. I haven’t driven truck since installing the mount so, at some point, I’ll report on the results.

If you go with the zip tie suggestion, I would put some foam or rubber in between before tightening down the zip tie.

I did put two small strips of double sided tape between the GoPro fitting and the speaker. Thanks

Back