Bluetooth remote not so great

QuozL

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro
So I had the new A229 Pro installed this afternnon and we paired the BT remote and initially it worked perfectly. Later on after the installer was finished I went out for a drive and tested the remote during the drive and it worked perfectly again. Then when I got home I pressed the remote again and now it will only flash red and will not pair again to the camera.

Have read the post in the 129 Pro thread and tried all the solutions posted there with no luck so contacted Viofo and they are sending a new remote out. Interestingly it will show up as a bluetooth device if I turn on pairing on my phone so I hope it's not the camera end that is the issue.

Last edited:
On your next test drive at the exact moment you press the Bluetooth Remote say in a stern, but respectful voice;
"LOCK VIDEO"

On your next test drive at the exact moment you press the Bluetooth Remote say in a stern, but respectful voice;
"LOCK VIDEO"
LoL not sure if you're joking, the voice control works fine, but my wife would prefer to use the wireless button and for it to work regardless. :p Edit: It's "Lock THE Video" to get it to work anyway ;)

Last edited:
Have you tried to reset the camera to default settings, and re-pair the Bluetooth button?

Have you tried to reset the camera to default settings, and re-pair the Bluetooth button?
Yes, same result, remote will not pair with camera

Is BT enabled on your cell, or somewhere else in the garage, garage door opener, or house? I would at least give it try out on the road and see if it works away from the house.

Is BT enabled on your cell, or somewhere else in the garage, garage door opener, or house? I would at least give it try out on the road and see if it works away from the house.
No it's not. I've been through all that in another post in the 129 Pro forum where someone was having the same issue. Initially it paired perfectly and worked the first few times but then on a later test drive today it worked once then when returning after the drive to save the video it only flashed red and havent been able to get it to pair again. The whole unit, camera etc is only a day old as was manufactured in late September even came with the latest firmware. Ive tried re-pairing it to the camera with every other bluetooth device off and no wifi or anything, I've tried away from the house, wifi off, bluetooth off etc etc and still the remote will only flash red.

They are already sending out a new remote but my fear is that it's the camera as if I put my phone into pairing mode to test the remote it will pair to the phone.....and yes I have removed the pairing from the phone before ever trying it again with the camera.

It seems a number of people have had this issue with previous cameras and while one was fixed by a replacement remote others have had to have the camera replaced.

I was sent a new firmware by support as mine was running the current one available on the site, but that has still not fixed the issue even after updating and then doing a hard reset of all settings. Bluetooth remote still will not pair.

I'll wait for the replacement remote they have sent to see if that fixes it but I'm not holding my breath as this one initially worked perfectly and will still pair with a phone, so at a guess I'd say it's the camera. I imagine I will have to send it back for replacement which is disappointing being it is a day old but we'll wait and see.

Attachments

• Viofo A229 Pro Firmware versions.jpg
    Viofo A229 Pro Firmware versions.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 15
Replacement remote arrived today, it will also not pair with the A229 Pro. Waiting to hear back from support but I imagine they will have to replace the unit.

They have agreed to replace the camera, and have provided an RMA number and details to send it back for replacement.

While I appreciate them replacing it, that it happened with a brand new unit on the first day (worked initially) and I have to be without the camera while it is being sent back to HK is disappointing. Also initially I paid extra for expidited shipping via DHL so I hope they send the replacement back to me that way but I'm not holding my breath.

14 days later and the replacement camera still hasn't arrived. It has been sitting in Brisbane at the depot for the past 5 days with zero movement or answer to why it hasn't been delivered to my house yet. Meanwhile the camera i sent back arrived in China last week. Considering I intially paid for express shipping and it was a fault with the Viofo camera that caused me to have to send it back to say I am disappointed with the customer service would be an understatement.

They could have at least sent the replacement to me the same way I paid for initially so I am not weeks without a product I've paid for in good faith.

0/10 Viofo

14 days later and the replacement camera still hasn't arrived. It has been sitting in Brisbane at the depot for the past 5 days with zero movement or answer to why it hasn't been delivered to my house yet. Meanwhile the camera i sent back arrived in China last week. Considering I intially paid for express shipping and it was a fault with the Viofo camera that caused me to have to send it back to say I am disappointed with the customer service would be an understatement.

They could have at least sent the replacement to me the same way I paid for initially so I am not weeks without a product I've paid for in good faith.

0/10 Viofo
So sorry for the slow shipment. We have submitted this issue to the related department. They will check and contact you soon. Please pay attention to your phone calls, messages, and email box to get the information for your parcel.1699943661003.png

Well the replacement camera finally arrived. Set it all up today and everything works perfectly except the bluetooth remote again.

I tried setting it up with both bluetooth remotes that they sent me with the same result both times, neither will pair with the camera running firmware VIOFO_A229P_V1.0_230928.

I made sure no other bluetooth devices were on when trying to pair and made sure I was well away from the house as well so the only thing I can put it down to in the firmware or bluetooth design of the A229 Pro. Interestingly both remotes will happily pair to my phone which I tested afterwards so I can only put it down to the A229Pro or it's firmware having some issue.

While it's not a huge deal as I can use the voice command to save any video it would be nice that it worked as advertised.

Anyway I will wait for future firmware updates to see if it is fixed with them but if anyone is in Brisbane with an A229Pro and would like to test theirs for me let me know and I'll send you one of the remotes.

Attachments

• Viofo A229 Pro Firmware Version.jpg
    Viofo A229 Pro Firmware Version.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 8
Glad to see you have received the samples. We found this is a firmware issue, we have fixed this already.

We will release new firmware with other improvements this week.

Glad to see you have received the samples. We found this is a firmware issue, we have fixed this already.

Sorry to say that the bluetooth pairing issue still isn't fixed with this new version of the firmware.

Edit: Firmware is correct, hard reset worked, problem solved

Last edited:
Edit: Firmware is correct, hard reset worked, problem solved
I'm not sure the new firmware fixed your malfunction.
Something else might still be at play.
After you started this thread I checked my A229 Pro with a Bluetooth Remote, and it functioned properly with the previous firmware.

I'm not sure the new firmware fixed your malfunction.
It did fix it as previously I tried 2 brand new remotes with two brand new A229Pro cameras (they replaced one to try and fix the issue) and until this firmware release it would not pair.

As soon as I installed the new firmware and reset the camera the remote paired perfectly.

Previously I had tried various firmwares they sent me, had tried resetting the camera, had tried all manner of suggestions from users on here and support and nothing worked, then they even replaced a brand new camera with another brand new camera and it wouldn't pair.

As soon as they released this firmware and I upgraded and reset the camera it paired perfectly first time. Enough for me to believe it IS the firmware that fixed it, but hey if you want to think it was something else, go for it.

Edit: They also mention specifically 3 posts above yours that
We found this is a firmware issue, we have fixed this already.

Last edited:
Back