Blurry video under low light

iamsan

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Hi,

I recently purchased a 70mai pro. The video quality is superb for a budget dashcam. I am happy with my purchase, except one thing.
The image will become blurry under low light. I understand that image will be less clear with low light but it should be blurry like that. It's an analog TV with poor reception. I can't tell whether mine is faulty or it's a firmware issue. Please check the video I posted this on the youtube. Thx.

Please check the image at 0:00 and 0:30 in the video.

Sent from my SM-G9500 using Tapatalk

I think by blurry you mean the noise in the video, and yes it do seem awful, but it is a natural result of the ISO of the camera being so high, which the camera do to get bright footage.
If you was able to change this or set a MAX ISO somehow it wouldn't be so bad, but the footage would then be darker as the sensitivity are lower.

I think by blurry you mean the noise in the video, and yes it do seem awful, but it is a natural result of the ISO of the camera being so high, which the camera do to get bright footage.
If you was able to change this or set a MAX ISO somehow it wouldn't be so bad, but the footage would then be darker as the sensitivity are lower.
Thx.
ISO can't be changed in the setting. I am wondering if this can be fixed with a firmware upgrade.
I have a Mi dashcam and the video it captures isn't that noisy.

It is blurry because you are driving at Ludicrous Speed.
The video is noisy regardless of the speed. The speed may amplify the issue a little bit more.

Yes the high ISO should probably be fixed in firmware, but this will make the video darker.

When a camera is overwhelmed it start to do things in blocks instead of individual pixel basis, and so the footage will look a bit minecraft like with larger blocks, the only way to deal with this is to increase the bitrate which are at modest levels in dashcams.
A dashcam will typically have a bitrate of 15 - 20 mbit, where a action camera in the same resolution can have a 2 - 3 X higher bitrate, the trade off are heat generated which are normally not a problem for action cameras as they are not meant to run for hours on end.
So the faster you drive, the more things change in the footage rapidly, and your camera have to resolve this.
Same go for where you drive.
Drive 50 km/h down a street lined with houses, and that's probably fine.
Drive 50 km/h down a forest road lined with trees and sun filtering down thru those to also make the road surface ahead of you striped in sun / shade patterns, and suddenly the camera can not keep up.

So for the people that want cinematic recordings of their drives i cant but recommend something else than a dashcam.

Of course the additional compressing youtube do on videos don't make things better, it will amplify any image problems, and even in otherwise good footage their compression will add more problems.
But of course if you have a popular channel youtube will treat your footage different, and not be so hard on it to save storage space.

There is no problem using a low ISO and get noise free images, but then you need a exposure time measured in seconds so what ever you film / take photos of cant move.
This pic are taken in the middle of the might, the light in the image are from a full moon.

When i took the picture i had to use a flashlight to illuminate things so i could set the focus manual on my Dslr camera
tumblr_oudvetzHnC1wxv8ejo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_oudvetzHnC1wxv8ejo1_1280.jpg

You haven`t got tinted windows have you?

For what is essentially a budget-level dashcam, I don't think the OP's vids are too bad. Lots better than any cam at that price would get you even just a few years ago. Night performance is the bane of all dashcams, and only a couple sensors do that really well. You don't find those in budget-level cams ;)

Phil

Back