Boot on power on

pindi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

When I plug the USB cable into either the mount or directly into the camera itself, it doesn't boot up and start recording which I believe is what it should do. I'm on firmware FW20140505 v1.0 and its a no-gps no internal memory camera.

Anybody else have this problem? Any ideas how to resolve this?

The cameras will power on when you connect to a power source, but the recording is started by the motion detection setting on the camera.
( If you connect to a non-dumb usb like a pc, it'll boot to "connect to usb" mode ).

Is it new, or has it worked in the past?

Does it boot and give you the menus and a picture? If so and it's set to default settings then it probably has an issue with the card: not formatted, incorrectly formatted or containing corrupt files.

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems I might have a faulty unit.

It's brand new and never worked like Gryffes describes :( When power is applied it doesn't do anything until I turn it on with the big power button but as soon as I do it starts recording like it should. Any ideas?

No I'm using my own micro USB cable but I did try the cigarette charger power lead (thinking it might have some sort of proprietary boot signal) but no luck with that either :( Could it be a firmware thing? I noticed there is newer firmware out it's just not the specifically for my unit (No GPS, No internal memory).

No I'm using my own micro USB cable but I did try the cigarette charger power lead (thinking it might have some sort of proprietary boot signal) but no luck with that either :( Could it be a firmware thing? I noticed there is newer firmware out it's just not the specifically for my unit (No GPS, No internal memory).
When you plug it in, does the red led illuminate or start flashing? I'm wondering if it has a battery problem.
Does it handle power down correctly?

Second idea: Have you tried it in another car? Maybe your running it on a vehicle with only 6V battery?

There is no harm in trying a firmware update but as no one else has had this problem I doubt it will solve the issue.

The cameras will power on when you connect to a power source, but the recording is started by the motion detection setting on the camera.
( If you connect to a non-dumb usb like a pc, it'll boot to "connect to usb" mode ).
Incorrect. The camera will start recording automatically upon power on. Motion detection has nothing to do with it.

When you plug it in, does the red led illuminate or start flashing? I'm wondering if it has a battery problem.
Does it handle power down correctly?

Second idea: Have you tried it in another car? Maybe your running it on a vehicle with only 6V battery?

There is no harm in trying a firmware update but as no one else has had this problem I doubt it will solve the issue.

Theres no power at all when the ignition is off. When the unit gets power it does nothing until I turn it on. Another problem is that the unit won't auto power off, it'll ignore the time I set in the settings too. It should switch off after 1 min but it stays on for 10-15 minutes before the battery dies and I lose my time/date settings too :( It's really not good, I tried updating the firmware but thats had no affect either!! I'm at my whits end and it won't be worth posting back to China...

Reading around some more its definitely intended that when it gets power it should turn off and when it has no power it should auto power off depending how long you've set it in the menu...

The camera should auto power on when it gets power and auto power off when power is withdrawn, in this mode the auto power off is after about 10-20 seconds. If you are manually turning the camera on then it should power off dependant on the setting in the menu. Have you tried a new firmware? If not I think it is worth doing but make sure you load defaults afterwards.

Reading around some more its definitely intended that when it gets power it should turn off and when it has no power it should auto power off depending how long you've set it in the menu...
Actually, that's not quite true, it may be your settings that are the problem.

If you use the Default menu to set it back to default and use it without changing any settings, does it power off within 20 seconds of disconnecting the power?

Last edited:
Back